Map Ta Phut For 3 Or 6 Months: Nightlife / Suggestions Please.

Globaleyes

Hi All,

I've just landed a job in Map Ta Phut for 3 or possibly 6 months. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions / comments / warnings about the area? I'm a late thirties British male into fitness and various types of music. I've also lived in Thailand before briefly so have an inkling what Thailand is about, although I've never been here before.

Any suggestions of bars / nightlife / attractions welcome. Are there any nearby decent beaches or ex-pat haunts?

Many thanks,

G.

Very little in Maptuphut which would interest you, would need to come to Ban Chang which is about 12km from Maptuphut, there are bars/restaurants and the beach.

Pattaya is 35km away which is other place with "attractions".....;)

Very little in Maptuphut which would interest you, would need to come to Ban Chang which is about 12km from Maptuphut, there are bars/restaurants and the beach.

Pattaya is 35km away which is other place with "attractions".....;)

Live in Pattaya and drive every day or visit the bars in Ban Chang weekdays and weekends head to Pattaya.

thanks guys. Yeh, looking at the google map, Map Ta Phut does look a bit grim! THanks again.

You dont want to be living in Maptuphut if you can help it, Ban Chang, Sattahip Pattaya or Jomtien would be the areas to live in with Ban Chang being the shortest trip and Pattaya the longest

Edited by Soutpeel

I don't know where I'll be yet - employer is providing accommodation. Assuming the worst and I am in the center of that <deleted>, could anyone tell me what the public transport is like to Ban Chang, Pattaya etc?

Thanks.

thanks guys. Yeh, looking at the google map, Map Ta Phut does look a bit grim! THanks again.

You dont want to be living in Maptuphut if you can help it, Ban Chang, Sattahip Pattaya or Jomtien would be the areas to live in with Ban Chang being the shortest trip and Pattaya the longest

I don't know where I'll be yet - employer is providing accommodation. Assuming the worst and I am in the center of that <deleted>, could anyone tell me what the public transport is like to Ban Chang, Pattaya etc?

Thanks.

I seriously doubt your employer will make you live anywhere in Maptaput. It's pretty much an industrial city that caters to Thai factory workers. They'll probably rent a place for you in Ban Chang or Rayong city.

Public transport? It's pretty much limited to buses and small trucks which run along Sukhumvit Rd. Easy to catch the bus to anywhere along Sukhumvit (Rayong city, Ban Chang, Pattaya) but the buses stop frequently and can take a long time. Best to rent a car or motorbike to help you get around, otherwise you'll have to rely on motorbike taxis to get anywhere.

Ban Chang beaches are pretty nice: Payun Beach, Nam Rin Beach, and Pala Beach. Koh Samed is nicer but further away - great for a day trip or overnight stay.

Only a couple of expat hangouts in Rayong, but it's a big city with plenty of good restaurants and shopping. Ban Chang is much smaller but has a strip of about 20 bars (with "ladies" working) and a few places with good food. Pattaya of course has everything. ;)