Driver License For Motorbikes And Scooters

Renoir

Hi,

Do I need a special driver license to drive a scooter in Thailand or is it enough to have a car driver license from my own country? Is it different for motorbike? And what about the insurance? Do I get one automatically when I rent a scooter or motorbike?

Thanks,

Renoir

in theory you need a motorbike driving license in thailand, either a thai one or international one. it's a one day job to get that in chiang mai and it's very easy.

the insurances shop claim they have when you rent a bike ain't worth shit, so prepare to pay for everything if something happens. get your own insurance from your country or separate insurance from thailand.

Normally when you rent a motorbike the shop keeps your passport, this is standard practice here although keep a photocopy with you. The shop sould offer you extra insurance against damage, if not ask about it and the cost and what it covers. The good rental shops will offer you this and explain it automatically, it would be as well to accept. Be careful of the more unscrupulous renters who will send you off with well worn tyres and charge you for new ones should you have a puncture. If you Google renting a motorcycle in Chiang Mai it will not take you too long to find out who they are.

You might find that if apply for an international drivers permit in your own country that you are covered to ride bikes abroad without having a bike license at home. If this happens they will pretty much just give you a bike license here.

I know first hand of people who have done this.

As mentioned, the insurance provided by hire shops can be poor so be sure to read the fine print.

Many holiday insurance policies will not cover you for riding a bike especially if you are not qualified so check this as well.

All motorbikes in Thailand must carry the basic third party liability insurance. Which basically covers medical costs for the other driver(assuming you hit someone). Secondary insurances offered by some dealers is usually a waste of money. It only covers newer bikes, does not cover unlicensed drivers, many times does not cover foreigners, and will cost you more than the bike rental itself. You may want to look into a personal liability plan for travel, or maybe liability insurance that you may have through renting with a credit card etc. (Most places don't accept credit cards)

The basic law of the land is: if two drivers get banged up a bit, there is a small amount of cash paid to cover cost to fix major breaks in the motorbike. Small scratches don't count(on the bike or the person!)

This is the complete opposite for renting cars. You can usually buy a supplemental insurance when renting a car that will cover just about anything. Do not skip the extra insurance when renting a car.

Just spreading the urban legend.... In fact, most shops will not rent without the actual passport you'll be walking quite a long time and possibly forever if you don't. I've left my passport with many different shops in S.E Asia to rent a bike and have never had a problem.

In most of the world, leaving your passport with a hotel or rental agency is the norm.

Just a gentle warning Never let a hire shop hold your passport! Give yhem a phot copy if they do not accept that then go to another shop that will.You are asking for trouble if you let them have it...

Just spreading the urban legend.... In fact, most shops will not rent without the actual passport you'll be walking quite a long time and possibly forever if you don't. I've left my passport with many different shops in S.E Asia to rent a bike and have never had a problem.

In most of the world, leaving your passport with a hotel or rental agency is the norm.

Just a gentle warning Never let a hire shop hold your passport! Give yhem a phot copy if they do not accept that then go to another shop that will.You are asking for trouble if you let them have it...

When I arrived in Chiang Mai in February, I was able to rent from two different shops where they held only a copy of my passport. No problems, no hassles. And, of course, you are technically required by Thai law to have your passport on you (not always enforced but you never know). And I've traveled throughout Asia (Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, Bali, Nepal, Bhutan) over the past decade plus and never had to leave my passport with any hotel or rental agency. Maybe I just have an honest face. biggrin.gif

David

Also a general explanation about the police and being stopped...

On a regular basis (When the weather is nice and cool - no rain) the police set up road stops. If you approach one without a helmet on expect to be pulled aside... They will issue you a ticket and take your drivers license/ID (You should have some form of official ID with your picture on it - You home country DL/ID will be fine)

Don't fret that they take your ID - They only want it as a deposit to make sure you go to the police station to pay the fine and then will give it back to you once the fine is paid... :jap:

CMSteve.

Yes, you have never had a problem yet, but what will happen if the bike get smashed up or stolen? They will keep your passport until you pay up.

When I arrived in Chiang Mai in February, I was able to rent from two different shops where they held only a copy of my passport. No problems, no hassles. And, of course, you are technically required by Thai law to have your passport on you (not always enforced but you never know). And I've traveled throughout Asia (Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, Bali, Nepal, Bhutan) over the past decade plus and never had to leave my passport with any hotel or rental agency. Maybe I just have an honest face. biggrin.gif

David

You will be very limited in where you rent your bike from then, it is standard practice here to require a passport. From their point of view you have a lot of their property and they want to make sure you bring it back, a photocopy of your passport will probably not work for most of them. Of course you need to make sure you are leaving it with a reputable renter. The ones mentioned on GT Rider website are some of the reputable ones. It is also required that you have a license but how many ask for it when you rent a bike? As with CMSteve, friends of mine have stayed here and rented bikes and never had a problem. But as you say, you always have and choice and can go to the next shop.

Any m/c in Thailand with tax disk have insurance cover first 15k of hospital fee for driver, passenger or 3rd party.

They don't sell tax disk unless you show this insurance.

No m/c licence = no insurance for any policy

Most expensive scooter style m/c tyre 900bht inc fitting, not big deal.

Only stupid person leave passport with rental shop or hotel!

If tell rental shop you hotel address, one shop use to steal back in night using spare key, make lot of money.

Edited by OlafStapleton

I guess exactly what I agreed by contract. I would have to pay for the damages or replacement and then get my passport back.

Why would anyone assume that their deposit should be returned before they pay for all charges? If you were renting a Condo, would you expect your deposit back before you've paid your rent and paid for all damages?

CMSteve.

Yes, you have never had a problem yet, but what will happen if the bike get smashed up or stolen? They will keep your passport until you pay up.

Standard procedure does not include keeping your passport at the shop.

Do not leave your passport anywhere.

Ditto - You never know when you might need it in an emergency.

I have rented bikes several times since I moved to Thailand and frequently before then. I NEVER let the rental shop keep my passport. (Probably 20+ rentals over the years and never had to give it up once ... though I usually did have to provide a copy!)

Standard procedure does not include keeping your passport at the shop.

Do not leave your passport anywhere.

Please read this part of the GT rider website http://www.gt-rider....kes-in-thailand especially the bit about passport surrender and ''standard practice''

It may be "standard practice" but based on my experience it is not universal. Based on my own experience there are at least two shops that will rent with only a copy of a passport.

As for me, if they insist on holding my passport, my feet still work enough to find someone that will take a copy.

David

This is interesting. As a business, what kind of security would be necessary to allow a person to rent a motorbike (Avg $1500). I 've only rented a motorbike once without a passport and that was because I was on a visa run(I've rented from this guy many times).

For those of you that have rented without a passport, did they ask for any more info than usual, CC, or cash deposit?

Now that I think about it, I may be a bit scared to rent a bike from someone that is confident enough to rent me a bike without a security deposit. Obviously, he must think he can get to me whenever he wants.

This is interesting. As a business, what kind of security would be necessary to allow a person to rent a motorbike (Avg $1500). I 've only rented a motorbike once without a passport and that was because I was on a visa run(I've rented from this guy many times).

For those of you that have rented without a passport, did they ask for any more info than usual, CC, or cash deposit?

Now that I think about it, I may be a bit scared to rent a bike from someone that is confident enough to rent me a bike without a security deposit. Obviously, he must think he can get to me whenever he wants.

Most Thai business completely happy trust white folk

They know we very rich, no need steal from poor Thai.

The average rental bike is not worth 1500 USD. maybe 500 to 700 USD.

I rent bikes quite often.

Usually I pay 1000 baht deposit and the month in advance.

Sometimes no deposit.

But I am not tattoed, have hairs on my head and wear shirts/polos with collar and short sleeves.

I show my international driving license and my passport, they make a copy of the latter.

I had rent a car not long ago.

Same thing, deposit was 7000 baht.

No extra deposit --- a copy of the passport (and looking at the real one to make sure they match.)

Do you know what the consequences are for theft of a bike? If you happen to be a foreigner? This would include damage etc in a way that costs the rental agent the use of the bike and refusing to pay? Get convicted. Pay for the bike, pay the court, do your jail time, then get deported.

(For car rentals I have used a CC for the extra coverage (insurance) )

David

You will be very limited in where you rent your bike from then, it is standard practice here to require a passport. From their point of view you have a lot of their property and they want to make sure you bring it back, a photocopy of your passport will probably not work for most of them. Of course you need to make sure you are leaving it with a reputable renter. The ones mentioned on GT Rider website are some of the reputable ones. It is also required that you have a license but how many ask for it when you rent a bike? As with CMSteve, friends of mine have stayed here and rented bikes and never had a problem. But as you say, you always have and choice and can go to the next shop.

I have rented motorbikes twice in Chiang Mai and have never left my passport (nor would I). They have always asked for it and I always gave a copy and everyone was happy (I gave a deposit as well once). I would advise people not to leave a passport with a rental agency / hotel / etc. I have never had a problem when refusing to do so and only part with my passport for visas. Maybe I've just been lucky...

Any m/c in Thailand with tax disk have insurance cover first 15k of hospital fee for driver, passenger or 3rd party.

They don't sell tax disk unless you show this insurance.

No m/c licence = no insurance for any policy

Most expensive scooter style m/c tyre 900bht inc fitting, not big deal.

Only stupid person leave passport with rental shop or hotel!

If tell rental shop you hotel address, one shop use to steal back in night using spare key, make lot of money.

i am surprised about all the misinformation here.

your international drivers license is for cars there and the same here.

only if you have a motorbike license back home will your international license do here.it is really just an appendix and translation to your national license

and only valid if you have them both.

thai vehicles are supposed to have insurance but they only pay if the driver has a valid motorbike license.

the fact that the police does not enforce means nothing......

i am surprised about all the misinformation here.

your international drivers license is for cars there and the same here.

only if you have a motorbike license back home will your international license do here.it is really just an appendix and translation to your national license

and only valid if you have them both.

thai vehicles are supposed to have insurance but they only pay if the driver has a valid motorbike license.

the fact that the police does not enforce means nothing......

Just a little more information: I had a minor accident a few months ago involving a rented car I was driving and at the police station I handed in my International Driving Permit, issued in Basingstoke (UK) by the AA in 2008; valid for one year. They closely inspected it's contents and appeared quite content. The other party were judged at fault and had to pay 5000baht to the renters insurance company who dealt with the matter on the spot at the scene.

Urban legends aside, and just to clarify what appears to have been missed in the responses.... (although covered in great detail in other posts in TV). If you have a current MOTORCYCLE drivers license from your home country AND/or an international MOTORCYCLE drivers license, obtaining a Thai 1-year temporary MOTORCYCLE drivers license is easy - no tests either written or practical. It is a bit of a wait but you can obtain it easily at the Motor Vehicle office on Hang Dong Road in CM. You also require your proof of residency as well (can get that confirmed at the immigration office).

However, if you have a foreign AUTOMOBILE drivers license, and wish a Thai motorcycle license, you must write a simple (computer) test and do a practical demonstation that you can ride a cycle. You must also provide your own cycle. Also done at the same office.

It must be mentioned that you must have a long-stay (work or retirement) visa to get a drivers license. You cannot get one with a tourist visa.

Urban legends aside, and just to clarify what appears to have been missed in the responses.... (although covered in great detail in other posts in TV). If you have a current MOTORCYCLE drivers license from your home country AND/or an international MOTORCYCLE drivers license, obtaining a Thai 1-year temporary MOTORCYCLE drivers license is easy - no tests either written or practical. It is a bit of a wait but you can obtain it easily at the Motor Vehicle office on Hang Dong Road in CM. You also require your proof of residency as well (can get that confirmed at the immigration office).

However, if you have a foreign AUTOMOBILE drivers license, and wish a Thai motorcycle license, you must write a simple (computer) test and do a practical demonstation that you can ride a cycle. You must also provide your own cycle. Also done at the same office.

It must be mentioned that you must have a long-stay (work or retirement) visa to get a drivers license. You cannot get one with a tourist visa.

Good Day 'V'Thats what I pm'd to the OP. As he is looking at spending some time here he can hopefully get the bit of plastic that will save hime a lot of problems. And, of course, saves a lot of money going into national parks. Drove past your place a week or so ago, didnt see the flag flying tho!