Beware The Travel Agency...

kharmabum

I often use 'Touch World', on a side-road about 200m from the Super-Highway/Mae-Jo-Road junction, and Pi Miew always gets me a better-rate than the Thai-Airways web-site is offering. :)

Moral of the story is, do your reasearch on-line & using direct airline-sites, then visit a travel-agent you can trust, and see if they can beat those prices for your preferred-dates. B)

Good post

Common sense thank you.

I laugh at the people who say use only the internet. I don't even have a clue as to how many airlines there is let alone know there names.

We had a fellow here where I live go back to the states last year. After trying to make sense of the Korean web page witch was imposable we finally took him to a travel agent he had used in the past and got him a ticket no problem.

When I went to Bali last year I would have never thought of using star alliance to Singapore a 3 hour lay over and Singapore Air from there to Bali. 500 baht cheaper than Air Asia 20 kilo baggage allowance and a meal on each leg of the journey.

For those who don't know Air Asia only allows 15 kilos for baggage and if you want a coffee you pay for it. They do not have stewardess they have sales people.

You did very well!

I have a oneway ticket (ChiangMai - Denpasar) with Air Asia, price is 7285THB

After reading your post I thought I would compare the SQ price. (from SQ website)

SQ only fly twice per week, their price was 12640THB.

He got his good deal with SQ through an agent not on via the SQ website. You can't rely on any website to always give you the best deal or accurate flight info (SQ have at least 3 flights to DPS from SIN).

Yes there are multiple daily flights from SIN to DPS, but only three SQ flights each week from CNX to SIN.

Until recent times Airline websites were the last place you went to for cheap flights, but increasingly airlines are sidelining travel agents and pitching to the customer direct.

A good travel agent comes into their own booking complex itineraries, but for more straightforward bookings online travel sites or Airline web sites are the way to go.

I usually book direct with Thai's website in Australia, I cannot find cheaper fares for the same flights elswhere. This only applies to flights originating in Australia, for Thai flighs ex BKK for instance the Airline website from their Australian portal, is not competetive.

I was using MAU travel for a long time before I got ripped off, and later Lamai travel...same deal..

It's only a matter of time till travel agency's are forced to do silly things to stay in business..

DONT USE THEM!!! USE INTERNET!!!!

Exactly my thinking – this "Travel Agent" did nothing but made a booking you could have done in a few minutes on the internet yourself.

You can not only choose to check out the websites of different airline's yourself but also one of the many ticket "price comparing" websites out there - here you can be quite lucky sometimes getting a good price if you are flexible with your dates, most even offer travel insurance, car rentals, hotels e.g. with the same booking.

I can't even remember when I last bought a ticket through a travel agent!

One thing mt mother told me (she is a very frequeent flyer and also an expat - in Spain) - if you book direct with an airline (over the internet for example) - you are not covered by ABTA, so loose out on the guaranetees and cover therein. How much this means in Thailand, I have no idea.

Personally, I go down to the airport and buy a ticket at one of the counters for short haul (in advance - its only a SIngTaew trip - then walk to Airport Plaza and one back again) or use large international online agencies for long haul - can usaually do the same pricewise with a bit of looking around.

I've used P&P Travel agency on the Thapae Road, almost on the corner of Soi 4, for over 10 years and never had a problem. Always very efficient, quick and trustworthy.

Luckily, Chiang Mai *does* have a few trustworthy travel agencies, as you can see from this thread. :)

PM Travel just north of Chedi Luang and the stop lite there - 45,000B Riiiip.... I now use P&P at many people's recommendation

The problem with all those recommended travel agency's is, they seem to have no right of excistence anymore, and it's only a matter of time till they take your money as a farewell bonus.

I did business with MAU and Lamai both for a couple of years and was happy with them as well..and recommended them to some friends.

Till they did not deliver anymore..

So buyer beware, I think you have to be very careful, I have learned my lesion the hard way and will NEVER use a travel agency anymore.

Pricewise, if you spent some time on the internet you can find much better deals.

The problem with all those recommended travel agency's is, they seem to have no right of excistence anymore, and it's only a matter of time till they take your money as a farewell bonus.

I did business with MAU and Lamai both for a couple of years and was happy with them as well..and recommended them to some friends.

Till they did not deliver anymore..

So buyer beware, I think you have to be very careful, I have learned my lesion the hard way and will NEVER use a travel agency anymore.

Pricewise, if you spent some time on the internet you can find much better deals.

Spot on, Kalbo.

I too was happy with Lamai and recommended her to many friends and posted about her here. she was the only travel agent I've found that could occasionally come up with special fares and different routings that I couldn't find on the web. Obviously I've stopped using her and fortunately, no one has come back to me, blaming me for losing money with her.

Are any of you who are recommending other agents so sure of their honesty that you will guaranty your recommendation?

My recommendation if you insist on using a Thai travel agency is to use your credit card, no matter how much extra they charge you.

I have always wondered why people use agencies to buy a ticket? Are they cheaper or am I missing something? :blink:

A good travel-agent will be aware of many offers to 'the trade', which aren't available on-line, at the airlines' own web-sites.

They also have a lot of other customers, apart from your good self, and therefore have a body of recent searching/booking-experience to draw on. Not everybody wants, or is able, to spend hours & hours on-line looking for a bargain.

Some may also be willing to discount part of their own agents-fees, from the airline, back to the customer.