Thai Airways Shortens Time Seats Can Be Reserved

george

THAI shortens time seats can be reserved

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) will require ticket agents to confirm sold tickets sooner to minimise the number of seats which are blocked from sale. Wasing Kittikul, THAI vice-president for commerce, said its ticket agents were previously required to confirm ticket sales 21 days after reservations were made for flights to Europe, America, Australia and New Zealand, and within 10 days for flights to Asian destinations.

To minimise the problem of blocked seats _ the seats agents reserve but do not sell _ THAI will now require agents to confirm sales one or two days after reservations are made, Mr Wasing said.

The change will be gradually implemented to include THAI agents worldwide.

In mid-2006, THAI also plans to introduce an online programme which will confirm agents' ticket sales in real time.

--Bangkok Post 2005-10-25

It makes sense to me, not too sure how the average Mr and Mrs Joe book their once a year holiday tickets but I would not think having to confirm their booking one or two days after reserving the tickets would make much of a difference?

It makes sense to me, not too sure how the average Mr and Mrs Joe book their once a year holiday tickets but I would not think having to confirm their booking one or two days after reserving the tickets would make much of a difference?

That may be true for your average holiday booking, but in a business situation, you want to book to make sure you can get there and confirm, cancel, change as the meeting firms up.

I try to book my flights well in advance.

That does not mean I want to buy the ticket then.

I leave that until the last moment, after all why should the airline have

the use of my money for that time.

Sounds like I shall be knocking THAI off my airlines to use list.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

What I think Thai Airways are trying to do is stop Travel Agents from hoarding seats which they might or might not sell. This means that the seats are available to everyone to reserve.

Looking at Thai Airways web page, you can see very frequently that certain flights are fully booked weeks ahead in all classes, yet as time goes by, seats suddenly become available. I am sure that I am not the only one who has experienced great difficulty in getting a reservation, only to find that once I have boarded the flight that it is half empty.

No, what they're trying to stop is you going into a making a reservation - either direct with THAI or at an Agent, with payment due say 10 days before departure, then letting it lapse, because you've found a better bargain at another airline (or with another Agent).

Instead you'll have to put your money down just after you reserve.

Travel Agents from hoarding seats which they might or might not sell.

These are normal scheduled flights, nobody is hoarding anything. They are not block-booking Charters.

No, what they're trying to stop is you going into a making a reservation - either direct with THAI or at an Agent, with payment due say 10 days before departure, then letting it lapse, because you've found a better bargain at another airline (or with another Agent).

Instead you'll have to put your money down just after you reserve.

Travel Agents from hoarding seats which they might or might not sell.

These are normal scheduled flights, nobody is hoarding anything. They are not block-booking Charters.

Well for the most part that is standard - I know UAL - you have two days to pay or the reservation is canceled.

Well for the most part that is standard - I know UAL - you have two days to pay or the reservation is canceled.

It also depends on which fare class you are buying as to when ticketing after reservation must be done. More expensive economy class fares such as Y or B usually offer a longer ticketing deadline than do the cheaper fares such as Q, V, M, etc.

When ever booking flights here in Thailand I have, never been able to understand why; so much can be booked in advance and not paid for. At the moment I am on the wating list for Singapore Airlines, to Melbourne. When I used to book flights in the UK, you could do it 6 months in adavance, pay the deposit and the seat was yours, and sometimes get a discount too. I suppose common sense it not to be sought after here?