Which Ssd? Bangkok Prices.

marlinwebster

after much internal debate ive decided to get a 15" macbook pro as my first ever mac. ive looked at the new macbook air and it appears that the SSD gives it the edge, however im concerned about it not being upgradable and it being too "light weight" for me. Ill be using the MBP for work, some photo-editing of large raw files and dabbling in some HD video editing. so i was hoping that you guys can offer some advice on three things;

1. Whats a good quality SSD?

2. I arrive in bangkok on Friday from Souty Africa and need a laptop almost immediately, so i'll want the SSD installed ASAP. Where can i have this done?

3. What is the going price for SSD's (im thinking either a 256 or 512, but it really depends on price. Where can i get one?

Thanks in advance!

M

Pantip Plaza will offer the greatest variety and prices. My research shows that prices at Pantip are not necessarily cheaper than what can be had online. However, you don't have to worry about customs and shipping fees, so it's basically a trade-off. The OCZ brand received good reviews on the following website, but not sure if they are available in Thailand. If you purchase your SSD at Pantip, there are places there that can install it.

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-ssd-hdd-april-2011/

• 4 weeks later...

I have a MacBookPro with a 500MB SSD. I just learned about TRIM.

Does someone know if I should install such a utility and which one? Does Apple have/recommend one?

Is it an Apple - supplied drive? If so OS X Lion has TRIM support - but only for drives that came with the machine, not for 3rd party aftermarket add ons.

So for 3rd party drives, it's best to choose one that doesn't require TRIM, like OWCs Mercury SSD line. I think there are now others out that are even better... I usually check barefeats.com for the latest comparisons. That is I don't want to read a novella on Anandtech or Toms Hardware, I just want to get a quick overview..

Does someone know if I should install such a utility and which one? Does Apple have/recommend one?

Is it an Apple - supplied drive? If so OS X Lion has TRIM support - but only for drives that came with the machine, not for 3rd party aftermarket add ons.

So for 3rd party drives, it's best to choose one that doesn't require TRIM, like OWCs Mercury SSD line. I think there are now others out that are even better... I usually check barefeats.com for the latest comparisons. That is I don't want to read a novella on Anandtech or Toms Hardware, I just want to get a quick overview..

Yes, the SSD was installed by Apple, and my OS is OS X 10.6.8 Is that Lion? (Sorry, I am novice in Apple).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the SSD was installed by Apple, and my OS is OS X 10.6.8 Is that Lion? (Sorry, I am novice in Apple).

No, Lion is 10.7 - you can upgrade to Lion through the App Store