To Find A Shop That Buy Your Silver ...

Kleagles

Hi!

Had a chat with my friend and the conversation turned in to how he could find a shop where he can sell his silver necklace..

Anyone here knows where to find a shop that doing that kind of business in Bangkok (buy your silver accessories)? A tip to a shop that not try to rip you off are highly appreciated.

If anyone also has a clue or matching skills in the subject in what the price are for the moment would be great as well. My friends necklace are "98 %" silver and the weight 17,8 baht.. Had a look at it and would say it is in a very good condition.

I do not have any idea about this kind of business and by "google" around the web to find a shop turned out to be a waste of time.

Hope for the best!

All the best dear fellows!

Silver isn't treated like gold in Thailand. I seriously doubt you are going to find a retail shop that will buy it from you. Maybe a pawnshop, but since it is not easy for an amateur to discern whether the chain is real, you are going to get hit with a very high risk premium.

You'll probably need to take it to a refinery, have it melted down and assayed in order to get any money for it. By the time you pay the fees associated with this, I doubt you'll make much. I wouldn't expect to net more than 2 or 3 thousand baht. Really you need to have several kilograms to make it worth anyone's time. I suggest you ask your friend if he can get his hands on more scrap than just this 1 small chain. That would make it easier to justify.

Still, you can try BKKAssay on the corner or Charoen Krung and Surawong in Bangrak if you really need the cash. I don't know what they'll charge, but they are honest.

If you find someone who wants to do a private sale, you can get a fire assay done at Chulalongkorn for around 700 baht. It generally takes around 48 hours to get the results.