Helmets Again

Gary A

I remember seeing a Thai show last year, where they were doing helmet test, and the REAL brand had the highest marks for a Thai made brand. More competition since then though.

Krs. i'm not saying your wrong but what Thai company makes helmets AND SELLS them in Thailand that have overseas approval other than REAL?

Edited by thaicbr

So real helmets went over to the dot web page and found the motorcycle helmet classification number and stuck it on their helmets and website lol where is their company certification info from dot or their test results or the name of the lab that did their safety test results on their helmets ??? When you show me some test results for their helmets from an independent test lab I'll believe it. Might as well go buy a 300 baht helmet with a dot sticker on it for 300 baht and claim its certified too.

I don't need to show you any thing. IF YOUR TO fuc_kING dimwitted to see it yourself.. Why don't YOU contact DOT and inform on REAL if your so CERTAIN that they are defrauding the public.

Does ya mama still feed you and change your nappies???

As for your accertain that the DOT test is so graet.. read this..

http://www.mmsp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=43

Edited by thaicbr

I remember seeing a Thai show last year, where they were doing helmet test, and the REAL brand had the highest marks for a Thai made brand. More competition since then though.

Krs. i'm not saying your wrong but what Thai company makes helmets AND SELLS them in Thailand that have overseas approval other than REAL?

Question doesn't have anything to do with what i wrote, dont confuse me man..i have an agonizing Leo headache right now.

Question doesn't have anything to do with what i wrote, dont confuse me man..i have an agonizing Leo headache right now.

ok no problem... get some M150 or similar the glucose/sugar helps to metabolize the alcohol.. bye bye head ache and fresh the next morning.

So real helmets went over to the dot web page and found the motorcycle helmet classification number and stuck it on their helmets and website lol where is their company certification info from dot or their test results or the name of the lab that did their safety test results on their helmets ??? When you show me some test results for their helmets from an independent test lab I'll believe it. Might as well go buy a 300 baht helmet with a dot sticker on it for 300 baht and claim its certified too.

I dunno if the Real DOT certification is authentic or not. However, I believe it well could be.

I've used a wide variety of Thai-made helmets over the years and of them Real was the best. I'd be wearing one now but I prefer an import w/ a visor.

Personal insults,what a boy reverts to when they cant backup their claims. What is their foreign market ? laos or cambodia lol I didnt see on their website any foreign dealers. You're full of shit dude just like your claims.

Shows you are a dim wit. who said anything about foreign markets.. we are talking about Thailand.

My claims !!!! they aren't mine they are REAL's claims. And i just showed you the website (You had not even heard of REAL before)

If you cannot see the videos of the tests.. Then your blind as well as stupid.

I come to Thailand for 4 months every winter. I always bring one of my BMW full-face flip-up helmets with me (steel locking latches!). Besides being very comfortable and strong it also houses my stereo speakers so I can motor in Thailand to my rock 'n roll. I also bring out my BMW jacket, trousers,boots and gloves. I cover my body completely. They are "Air-Flow" with great ventilation but rather useless if it rains. But I don't ride in the rain anyway.They are heavy so I wear them on the plane out (not the helmet!) to save on my baggage allowance. When I go out for a ride I get amusing looks from the locals seeing me dressed like a spaceman but I don't care. The helmet cost me around 250 UK pounds (12,000 baht) and is worth every penny. Thais cannot believe you can pay this much for a helmet! But every Thai helmet I've come across is cheap and probably next to useless. You can buy BMW helmets from the two BMW dealers in Bangkok but they are even more expensive than in the UK. But what price do you put on safety?

I come to Thailand for 4 months every winter. I always bring one of my BMW full-face flip-up helmets with me (steel locking latches!). Besides being very comfortable and strong it also houses my stereo speakers so I can motor in Thailand to my rock 'n roll. I also bring out my BMW jacket, trousers,boots and gloves. I cover my body completely. They are "Air-Flow" with great ventilation but rather useless if it rains. But I don't ride in the rain anyway.They are heavy so I wear them on the plane out (not the helmet!) to save on my baggage allowance. When I go out for a ride I get amusing looks from the locals seeing me dressed like a spaceman but I don't care. The helmet cost me around 250 UK pounds (12,000 baht) and is worth every penny. Thais cannot believe you can pay this much for a helmet! But every Thai helmet I've come across is cheap and probably next to useless. You can buy BMW helmets from the two BMW dealers in Bangkok but they are even more expensive than in the UK. But what price do you put on safety?

Mate. if you talk to Thai's that ride big bikes then they will believe as most have similar equipment to yours (different brands but all high quality)

If you talk to Thai's with scooters then yes they will find it incredible that you have spent that much. Simply because thats over a months or even 2 months salary for them.

Also i'm not saying that the REAL brand is better than a Hjc or BMW helmet. What i'm saying is that it is the only Thai company made helmet that has passed testing and is reasonable quality. Like the cheaper helmets from your home country (good to adequate)

For those on a budget or who are mainly riding a scooter around town It's a lower price reasonable quality alternative to having to import a helmet. Or pay imported prices. REAL open face 1,100b..new visor 345b....Hjc open face 3,500b.... new visor...1,000b+

Next time you fly can you ask someone to take a picture of you in all your gear on the airplane..thanks :D:D

Edited by thaicbr

Mate. if you talk to Thai's that ride big bikes then they will believe as most have similar equipment to yours (different brands but all high quality)

Also i'm not saying that the REAL brand is better than a Hjc or BMW helmet.

Next time you fly can you ask someone to take a picture of you in all your gear on the airplane..thanks :D:D

My big bike mates in Chonburi all wear crappy helmets. But they are Thais not farangs. I've never come across REAL helmets before. But then again I'm not really on the lookout for a helmet. Don't get many big Thai bikers in Kanchanaburi (where I have a house and keep my BMW) except the vistors from Bangkok. Most bikers in Kan are farangs who have rented a bike and go out in shorts, sandals, sleeveless vests (or no shirt at all!) and a cheapo helmet they give away with mopeds. Apart from getting horribly sunburnt they run the risk of dreadful skin injuries and infections even if they only fall off at low speed. Makes me shudder.

No one ever comments on my bike gear when I fly. Not security at Heathrow nor the cabin staff. But I'll try to remember to post a pic when I next come out in November! :rolleyes:

I got up early today (5.30am, here in London) for a 160km ride in the morning sunshine in the Surrey countryside. It's the only time in the week I can have the roads to myself apart from other bikers that is. And not a policeman in sight. I usually ride in Kan around 8am before it gets too hot. I don't know if you've ever biked around Kan but the roads are superb. Beautiful scenery, good surfaces without potholes and mostly empty of traffic. Best to avoid the main road to Thong Pha Phum at weekends though. Highly dangerous!

I went ahead and ordered a Nolan hoping it will fit OK. I specifically ordered the European version, the N 43 Air.

That version isn't sold in the US because it fails DOT specifications. Something about the air vent system on top of the helmet being too big.

The biking forums say the European specs are as good or higher than the US DOT and it does meet the European specs both for full and open face. The US riders must buy the N 43 Trilogy that does meet the DOT specs. The forums say that the US version doesn't vent nearly as well because of the smaller air vent system.

This the reason I ordered the Air version rather than the Trilogy version. I'll let you know how it works out.

I went ahead and ordered a Nolan hoping it will fit OK. I specifically ordered the European version, the N 43 Air.

That version isn't sold in the US because it fails DOT specifications. Something about the air vent system on top of the helmet being too big.

The biking forums say the European specs are as good or higher than the US DOT and it does meet the European specs both for full and open face. The US riders must buy the N 43 Trilogy that does meet the DOT specs. The forums say that the US version doesn't vent nearly as well because of the smaller air vent system.

This the reason I ordered the Air version rather than the Trilogy version. I'll let you know how it works out.

Gary . the Nolan is sold here in Thailand.. who did you order from?

Dirtshop have them for 11,500b

Edited by thaicbr

Gary . the Nolan is sold here in Thailand.. who did you order from?

Dirtshop have them for 11,500b

I ordered it from Singapore company called motomonstar. I paid about 7,500 baht including shipping.

Let us know how the air vents work, all the vents on my REAL Stealth edition are fake ! (except for the front vent)

I just washed the lining last night and no air vent holes at all in the foam, i think the vents are designed to cool the outer shell, opposed to cooling my thick skull.

Edited by KRS1

Let us know how the air vents work, all the vents on my REAL Stealth edition are fake ! (except for the front vent)

I just washed the lining last night and no air vent holes at all in the foam, i think the vents are designed to cool the outer shell, opposed to cooling my thick skull.

Interesting you should say that. I looked at the Ozzy model and the salesman told me that I wouldn't be happy with it because it would be too hot. It didn't fit me very well anyways.

My Real G-Force doesn't have a DOT mark on it. It does however, have an ECE 22.05 seal at the back. I've ridden with the vents closed before and found a noticeable difference when they're open in terms of ventilation and noise. The noise I can ride with but not the heat, so I've kept the vents open ever since.

I've also seen the same ECE seal on the newer Bilmola models. There's a review of the Replicon model on the Thai Ninja Forum (which incidentally also has a comparitive review on Real Helmet models as well).

Nowadays, I see a lot of younger thais wearing full face helmets on the road here in CM compared to say five years ago. Mostly cheap locally made ones; still a cheap helmet is probably better than no helmet at all. Yet, I also still see some 20 -30 something year old thai guy acting cool, weaving, without using turn signals or looking at the side mirrors, in traffic, on his scooter, wearing cheap imitation aviator glasses, with a helmet on the basket in front (one nearly bumped into me yesterday, I decided to give way and let him pass and deal with the trailers right in front)

I have an Arai X-Tend open face, which is nice and cool in the high temps of Thailand's south. Apart from the open face, lots of air vents front and back to assist ventilation.

Today I went and tried on several flip up helmets at Metropolis here in London: Caberg, Shark, HJC, etc. They were all pretty heavy, and I didn't find any of them comfortable at all, apart from one: The Shoei Multitec.

It felt noticeably lighter than the others, and fitted perfectly. The only thing for me was it didn't seem to have any rear vents like the others.

I came home to check out some reviews on the internet, to see how well it ventilated, but I think that this will be the one I will be taking back to LOS with me.

Wow, another troll in the bike forum... Getting crowded in here! :rolleyes:

Why trust ANY helmet that has a DOT sticker on it? Most DOT certified helmets are manufactured in developing countries these days so I guess you could voice the same skepticism about HJC, Shark, Scorpion, Icon, etc etc.

At least REAL publishes their test results (for anyone who's smart enough to look them up...)

One example of many:

Decent quality DOT certified helmets at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately they don't fit me :(

Ride On!

Tony

flip ups tend to be heavier as they have more hardware (the flip, latches etc)

It's a lovely helmet.. did you find the webbikeworld.com review

In fact I was just reading that review a few mins ago. checked on the net, but not much variation in price. I think I will go back to Metropolis. At least its not too far from home in case of any problems.

Personal insults,what a boy reverts to when they cant backup their claims. What is their foreign market ? laos or cambodia lol I didnt see on their website any foreign dealers. You're full of shit dude just like your claims.

You need to get out more.

Real Helmets is a sponsor of pretty much every motorcycle race series in Thailand- that includes Superbike, MiniGP, GPI, R2M, Top Gear Supercross and Enduro and TSC Osaki Supermoto.

Go to just about any race event in Thailand and you will see their helmets on display and in use-

%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%84%20Real_6.JPG

In fact I was just reading that review a few mins ago. checked on the net, but not much variation in price. I think I will go back to Metropolis. At least its not too far from home in case of any problems.

Did you also try the Shark evoline 2. Now thats a nice helmet for Thailand and available to buy here if you want..

Did you also try the Shark evoline 2. Now thats a nice helmet for Thailand and available to buy here if you want..

I did try it. That was the one I originally went to look at. Seemed very big, and quite a bit heavier than the Shoei. That glow in the dark Lumi stuff must be great at night for visibility.

I also tried the Schuberth C3, but didn't like that at all, even though it was the lightest of the lot.

I may give the Shark another try when I go back, just to make sure, as I like the way you can flip the chin guard right out of the way. But to be honest, I think the Shoei won me over.

It looks like the Singapore company, Motomonstar is a good company. I noticed the N 43 Air picture on their website is actually an N 43 Trilogy. I pointed that out to them and it is indeed the wrong picture. They thanked me and told me that their marketing people would take care of that. I will indeed receive the N 43 Air model.

They also informed me that the standard Nolan helmet strap clasp doesn't meet Singapore safety standards so Nolan sells them the Double D-ring fastener. They offered me a refund if I don't want the Double D-ring. No problem for me using the D-rings.

I have the Shark evoline 2 . Great helmet IMHO. The flip open mechanism is great because it can be used both in OF and CF.

I tend to use just in CF though to be honest.

Edited by MRToMRT