Problem With Passport Validity

Hi everyone!

I'm writing from Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation (travelers need no visa to enter Thai)

Recantly I've been married and wanted to spend my honeymoon with husband in Thailand, Phuket, for 11 days

We will not go by ourselfs, we'll buy a tour from a tour company (including tickets to Phuket and back, booked hotel and enough cash to us two)

The problem is that on the date of our honeymoon me passport will expire in 3,5 months.

Everywhere in russian forums, it was written that passport must be valid at least 6 months after departure from Thai, but I couldn't understand, what was the sourse of this information.

So, recently I saw the IATA new recomendations

("The text: Passport required.

- Nationals of Russian Fed. can enter with passports and/or

passport replacing documents valid for the period of

intended stay.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

- for holders of normal passports, being nationals of Russian")

That means that russian tourists are able to enter with passport valid on the date of trip (no matter when it expires)

So, I have a question - do anyone know, does the IATA have any authority to Thai passport control and immigration service in airport? Can anyone ask, what's the true information? I really worry about this fact, and worry, that I can be departured from Thai....

Edited by IreneMalkova

IATA has no authority in this respect. They only exchange information.

The best thing to do would be to renew your passport as soon as possible.

Immigration might not pick up on the expiry date, but you wouldn't want to risk ruining your honeymoon.

If IATA is publishing this information it should be what Immigration will observe (or the airlines will not be flying here). There does not appears to be any six month requirement for Thailand entry under current policy for visa exempt countries.

Visa on arrival countries are subject to the six month rule. Russia now enjoys 30 day visa exempt entry under new agreement with Thailand.

The following is from IATA Travel Centre.

Passport validity

If there is no specific mention of validity, passports are simply required to be valid on entry. However, most countries do have a specific requirement and where this is published, is the actual practice of the immigration officials at airports. Please note that when consulting embassies on passport validity, more often than not the advice given will usually be validity of 6 months. This is quoted, as this is the minimum requirement for a visa issuing authority when issuing a visa in a passport.

Soruce: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/page/terms/P.htm

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.