Casting

GUANO

Looking to get a new belt buckle and was wondering if anyone knew anywhere that could cast one to my own design? I'm not even sure this is possible in Chiang mai, but I've had great success with other random projects, so there is hope. I know making a one off is going to involve a fair amount of work, so I may even have a few made and give as presents or sell.

Cheers

GUANO

Thanks for the reply. The design and price are more important to me than the metal. I think usually belt buckles are cast using pewter or an alloy. A bronze colour would be good but depends on the cost. Size wise, it would be roughly 8x6cm and about 1cm at the thickest point.

Cheers

What a cool idea Guano.

My older brother can cast + make all sorts of metal pieces. He used to melt varous metals in his bathtub. He was trained in jewellery design @ NYC's Parson College of Design. When he worked with an avant garde theatre company in Norway for several years, he made all their costume pieces including spectacular "crotch pieces"! So I'm sure he can handle a belt buckle design.

He is based in Bangkok. Being Singaporean he speaks excellent English + would love such a project.

Gerald Chan

• 1 year later...

There's one company in Chiang Mai that does pewter called Loyfar. You should be able to google them easily - they did have an outlet in Northern village at Airport Plaza - rather high end but no harm in asking. All other pewter factories I know of are based in BKK.

For brassware I know of a Buddha manufacturer in Obkan area - difficult to find though - will send you a map if you PM me.

Good luck - think this will be a time consuming project!

Hi, I can cast brass, bronze, aluminum and iron here in chiang mai. PM me if your interested.

However, yes it will be difficult to get a one-off, small, piece done.

But I can make from scratch (artwork, molding, casting, finishing).