2 Dutch Tourists Assaulted By Tuk-Tuk Drivers In Phuket

george

My last visit to Phuket was in 2001....what a horrible place. I will never return. Phuket beer is not bad though. When I need the beach, I choose Cha Am, Pranburi, Prachuap, and even Pattaya(great Lao inspired food). Adios

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuk tuks pay the police for rights to drive. Thai's get screwed by fellow thai's all the time.

Look at the demographic of Phuker Patong area. Prostitutes, alcohol, drugs, corrupt police, scamming thais. It attracts very low end thai society as well as low end western society in some cases. = crime

The stuff going on there should be zero surprise.

btw Kata Beach on Phuket is still a great place to stay...Patong is what it is....never go near the tuk -tuks and walk carefully after midnight....but in the day there really isn't much point in being there as the beach is pretty crap and there's not a lot happening....i saw a survey a few weeks back where 79% of thais accepted corruption and had a slide scale of what was agood or bad corruption.

one told me they knew thaksin was corrupt but he was GOOD corrupt which sorta makes sense in a thai way...live and let live..

I was just there last week and similar thing happened. 2am I pulled out on my bike with my GF and her friend. Almost immediately we get cut off by a mini-bus driver who starts screaming at my GF that she called him a quay. (She didn't) Then he slaps her! At that point he finds my fist in his nose. He tried to slap me but caught another one really hard while he tooks a few steps back to recover we jetted. Lucky his friends weren't around. I mean the douche slapped a girl... what did he expect was gonna happen? Bunch of animals.

2am is animal time in that place. What do you expect? You were there then, so .... :whistling:

Why insult animals? Do you ever see animals acting as badly as humans? Please find another comparison.

Good job punching that a-hole. I would have (and have) done the same thing. Beat them at their own game... as long as they don't have twenty friends to help them. They are all cowards in one on one confrontations.

Patong beach is just a dump,its just a place to rip tourists off.I lived there for 12 years and bailed out at the right time,i could write a book on the amount of things ive seen with the tuk tuks and jet-ski scams,timeshare and countless others.I was there from 93 on wards when it was still a nice place and the tuk tuk drivers wouldn't take you up na nai road after midnight because they were scared as they used to get held up and robbed up there.now all they do is rob any fool stupid enough to get in one or beat them up if they question the price.

What bullshit, I lived in Patong back on Na Nai road when it was partial dirt, ( past the Hideaway) from '85--'94 when i moved over to Kamala. There were never any tuk tuk's or Tourists robbed. (homes broken into, yea but after all its Thailand.......

NOTE: its says MINI BUS not Tuk Tuk

Two Dutch tourists were reported to have been assaulted by minibus drivers after they refused to pay 1,000 baht

To all of u, Patong IS NOT Phuket, said it before. Plenty of great places and great people still here on the island

Edited by phuketrichard

<deleted>. The guy WALKS into a tuk-tuk and damages it? What is he -- superman?? If this story wasn't lacking so much in details, I might actually feel sorry fir the tuk-tuk drivers. But if superman did accidentally dent the taxi by nudging it... It wasn't his fault he had super strength...

if thailand wants so much the farangs money, why is it that they still in this day and age do not have public bus from the airport of phuket to/around the island?

they do not care about image that is being broken by tuk tuk , jet ski and other maffia ?

Absolutely Disgraceful

I find it amazing how quickly they can calculate the cost of removing a handprint from a minibus. how much would a Thai a have to pay with the dual pricing system?

I think when in Thailand it is best just to open up your wallet and pay what ever is demanded. It avoids the medical costs which will be far more, it avoids you being labelled drunk (leaving a nightclub) stumbling into a van and assaulting the owner. Avoids the heavy fines or possible jail term. A farang will never beat a Thai at thier own game. Just smile take your beating, pay what is demanded and enjoy your flight home. Oh and please do not forget to tip on the way out, it avoids those excess baggage charges from that heavy wallet.

Wow. If such a thing happened to my wife (A piece of shit slapping her) I'd beat the living hell outta him whether or NOT he had 20 friends around.

Coz if I didn't, my wife would have ME done in.

And whatever the results, they would all be dealt with later. At my expense of course.

Edited by theanimaster

if thailand wants so much the farangs money, why is it that they still in this day and age do not have public bus from the airport of phuket to/around the island?

they do not care about image that is being broken by tuk tuk , jet ski and other maffia ?

Actually there is a public bus from the airport to phuket town - used it a few times passing through, as I hate the inflated taxi rates there.

When I did a search for it now they quoted 85thb - I seem to remember paying 65 a couple of months ago though. And then of course for tourists, you could use the blue open-air buses to get to kata, patong, etc. But you're not saving much when a minibus would do airport-patong direct for about 200. Once you're in Patong.... well.... you're at the tuk-tuk gang's mercy, or walking.

Not defending the prices of course - the same distance by bus from BMTA would be about 12thb in bangkok (free at the moment I think, at least on the red-fellas).

Cheers

I was living here in 2004 when the tsunami hit Phuket. Everyone felt so sorry for all those poor little sods in Phuket. .. I didn't. I knew that as soon as the gullible farangs helped rebuild the place the Thai's would fill it up with another 4000 gangsters and back to business as usual.!!! Stupid farangs. Stay away from mafia resorts.

Why are all the postings in this thread about tuk tuks, and tuk tuk drivers ? Nowhere in the OP does it mention tuk tuks !

This was about damage to a "minibus" and the actions of the minibus drivers.

Please google tuk tuk and minibus , if you don't know the difference -- or take a course in reading comprehension. Amazing Thai Visa.

Same old same old but those drivers (Patong or other area) are really getting more "confident" every year...

Most area where you can park, now have painted "tuk-tuk only" sign and don't try to park there if you want to find your car in 1 piece...

Dangerous, aggressive, impolite and rude people: exactly the opposite of what Thai are/ should be...

Real shame..

Edit: Tiger, you can call them Taxi, tuk tuk, minibus, or phuket drivers: all answer to the same boss and have same attitude..

Edited by CantSpell

I hope one day they pick on the wrong person, who can send the minibus drivers to the mock..............

Sounds like Digicat did.. :jap:

Perhaps the damage on the tuk-tuk existed already and was not caused by the two chaps, maybe the drivers saw an opportunity when the two chaps walked by in a silly way to demand some money from them.

Why are all the postings in this thread about tuk tuks, and tuk tuk drivers ? Nowhere in the OP does it mention tuk tuks !

Please google tuk tuk and minibus , if you don't know the difference -- or take a course in reading comprehension. Amazing Thai Visa.

Tigermonkey,

Did you consider the OP was wrong when they mentioned minibus and not a tuk tuk. Bangkok Post reporters think a tuk tuk is one of those 2 wheeled POS's in Bangkok.

The driver in question was in fact a tuk tuk driver. As you may or may not know, no minibus drivers are allowed to be in Patong after 6 pm or else they would also be assaulted by the tuk tuk drivers.

If you make a dent in a car (when your quite big it quite easy to do so) then 1000 bath seems a fair amount to pay to me.

Everybody points the finger to the tuk tuk guys and the police but do not question the behaviour of obnoxious, very drunk tourists.

Better look at both sides for a change.

What was it i was reading on here the other day about the TAT wanting to get Thailand, in particular the tourist resorts, to conform with certain standards in order to get onto a recognised list of top tourist destinations in SE Asia. ?????????????

Are they having a laugh.

I have never been to Phuket and to be honest doubt that i ever shall while shit like this is so rampant. Shame really because it could be so good from what i can see of it in publications.

The funniest thing is that the people who want it to be on that list of SE ASIAN destinations, aren't even making the scams and all the other shit that seems to be going on there a Priority. CALS OF WAKE UP THAILAND AE BEGINNING TO ECHO YET AGAIN.

There is a reason why tourism in Thailand continues to drop, despite the false figures that the TAT continues to provide the public, with regard to arrivals. I am currently in Samui, and all the restaurant, hotel, and tour operators are reporting this as the slowest August ever. I realize there are alot of other factors, such as the red shirt riots, the appreciation of the baht, the recent flooding on Samui, etc. But, the continued neglect of this tourist treasure on the part of the incompetent, corrupt, and neglectful authorities is causing irreparable harm to the nation. The lack of police enforcement, the lack of political will, and the lack of tourist authority engagement in these issues, continues to erode the confidence that tourists have in this country. It is a true shame. Many are to blame. If the police were not in the pocket of these goombas, and took action, real action like trying and convicting these wanna be mafia thugs, than the problem would disappear overnight. These cretons have a sense of complete immunity, and only the guys bold enough to kick their asses, are the ones who get away.

Tigermonkey,

Did you consider the OP was wrong when they mentioned minibus and not a tuk tuk. Bangkok Post reporters think a tuk tuk is one of those 2 wheeled POS's in Bangkok.

The driver in question was in fact a tuk tuk driver. As you mno minibus drivers are allowed to be in Patong after 6 pmay or may not know, no minibus drivers are allowed to be in Patong after 6 pm or else they would also be assaulted by the tuk tuk drivers.

I don't know how you know that the " driver was in fact a tuk tuk driver " -- no names are mentioned and no photos . I presume that you make this conclusion from the fact that " no minibus drivers are allowed to be in Patong after 6 pm " ,

To make this conclusion , you must be convinced that the Bangkok Post reporter is wrong -- perhaps he/she is also wrong about the incident occurring in Patong ? -- or perhaps the entire story is fiction ?

I don't know how you know that the " driver was in fact a tuk tuk driver " -- no names are mentioned and no photos . I presume that you make this conclusion from the fact that " no minibus drivers are allowed to be in Patong after 6 pm " ,

To make this conclusion , you must be convinced that the Bangkok Post reporter is wrong -- perhaps he/she is also wrong about the incident occurring in Patong ? -- or perhaps the entire story is fiction ?

Combine the fact that numerous other publications report it as being a tuk tuk, the fact that tuk tuk drivers and not minibus drivers closed down the road, along with the fact that no minibus drivers are allowed after 6 and it seems fairly obvious to those of us that actually live here and know what's going on. But you go ahead and believe that it was a minibus driver.

Combine the fact that numerous other publications report it as being a tuk tuk, the fact that tuk tuk drivers and not minibus drivers closed down the road, along with the fact that no minibus drivers are allowed after 6 and it seems fairly obvious to those of us that actually live here and know what's going on. But you go ahead and believe that it was a minibus driver.

Wait why are you guys arguing about this?

In any case I saw only the 4 wheeled mini things there at all time of the night. I never actually saw any of the 3 wheeled tuk tuks in Patong period. The Mini-Bus drivers refer to their vehicle when they yell at you from across the street. "HEY, YOU! TUK TUK?"

Hey hey, I'm not arguing, just trying to set the record straight of someone that doesn't want to believe it was the tuk tuk drivers. You are correct in that the 4 wheel vehicles are referred to as tuk tuks as there are no 3 wheel tuk tuks here.

Here's what the colonel said from another news report "“We can see from security camera footage that more than 10 tuk-tuk drivers were involved,” Col Pratya said. “The duty officer tried blowing his whistle to stop the fight. But no one stopped.”".

There is a reason why tourism in Thailand continues to drop, despite the false figures that the TAT continues to provide the public, with regard to arrivals. I am currently in Samui, and all the restaurant, hotel, and tour operators are reporting this as the slowest August ever. I realize there are alot of other factors, such as the red shirt riots, the appreciation of the baht, the recent flooding on Samui, etc. But, the continued neglect of this tourist treasure on the part of the incompetent, corrupt, and neglectful authorities is causing irreparable harm to the nation. The lack of police enforcement, the lack of political will, and the lack of tourist authority engagement in these issues, continues to erode the confidence that tourists have in this country. It is a true shame. Many are to blame. If the police were not in the pocket of these goombas, and took action, real action like trying and convicting these wanna be mafia thugs, than the problem would disappear overnight. These cretons have a sense of complete immunity, and only the guys bold enough to kick their asses, are the ones who get away.

Maybe it is the lowest August ever because we have only used up approx 36 hours of the month. Maybe give it a few more hours and see if things improve.

If you make a dent in a car (when your quite big it quite easy to do so) then 1000 bath seems a fair amount to pay to me.

Everybody points the finger to the tuk tuk guys and the police but do not question the behaviour of obnoxious, very drunk tourists.

So, you think that alleged drunken behavior is justification for violence?

You should learn to read. Where did i say that?

So, you think that alleged drunken behavior is justification for violence?

It is definately not justification for violence of any degree. Also what I don't understand is how they can automatically put a cost on alleged damage in a split second. I think and this is just my opinion is that they previously had the value assessed.

Bangkok Post wrote ...

"A police officer passing by saw the incident and tried to intervene, but he was forcefully kept away by the assailants. The policeman fired a warning shot into the air."

And I read another local publication where the police colonel tried to explain that "the officer who drew the gun was new to Phuket and had only been in Patong for three weeks."

In other words that newbie police officer was not aware the true power base on Phuket island ... :whistling:

And the pol.col. went to the scene where the thugs blocked the street to negotiate with the scum! Pathetic, appalling and disgraceful and a shame for Thailand.