Us Social Security Website

Suradit

I mention this in case anyone else is having a problem opening www.ssa.gov/ .

Possibly they are blocking access from outside the US or else, being paranoid, maybe it's just me.

The past week I've tried to open the Social Security website to request the benefits verification letter that I get each year before applying for the extension of retirement visa ... No, I've never needed it for either the embassy letter or for Immigrations, but I like to have it just in case someone asks for proof.

I've been getting the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message every time.

So this morning I used a US based proxy server and entered the SS website url and, voila, I got onto the website without a problem.

I do not know what page you could not load but the site comes up for me and clicked on apply for and that page comes up fine and using normal Thai TRUE IP. I do not have SS payments so if it was just your account page can not test that.

I do not know what page you could not load but the site comes up for me and clicked on apply for and that page comes up fine and using normal Thai TRUE IP. I do not have SS payments so if it was just your account page can not test that.

I use 3BB and have tried using a saved link and Googling for a fresher link to the general website, but for some reason I never got through when trying for the past 3 or 4 days (see note above about paranoia). I thought it might simply be they were swamped because of the debt ceiling issue. Using the same link in the proxy I had no problem, it worked almost instantly.

Edited by Suradit

I can't reach it either. I'm on True Cable internet in Bangkok. However, as soon as I activate my VPN I can each it no problem...it pulls up fast.

Assuming, just hypothetically of course, that you needed to explain that to someone who was clueless, what would you tell me I mean how would you explain that to some hypothetical person?

Edited by Suradit

It is not a problem with the web site the internet or the international connection from Thailand and it is not blocked. Make sure your browser is up to date and if you continue to have problems check into setting your DNS to something other then the ISP provided. That is another subject but not that hard if you Google it. PS I am on ToT and it works fine in three differant browsers IE, Firefox and Opera with open DNS. DNS (domain name server) is the server that changes the requested sites name into an address the internet can use. Your current selected DNS is maybe not gettting the job done on some sites.

It is not a problem with the web site the internet or the international connection from Thailand and it is not blocked. Make sure your browser is up to date and if you continue to have problems check into setting your DNS to something other then the ISP provided. That is another subject but not that hard if you Google it. PS I am on ToT and it works fine in three differant browsers IE, Firefox and Opera with open DNS. DNS (domain name server) is the server that changes the requested sites name into an address the internet can use. Your current selected DNS is maybe not gettting the job done on some sites.

Using Chrome and Firefox, with DNS provided by DHCP from ToT, or using Comodo's DNS servers, I also can not access www.ssa.gov.

For security reasons, you cannot access your social security account online from outside the US. You have to deal with either the Embassy or Social Security in Manila. Good luck with Manila as I haven't ever gotten any response.

For security reasons, you cannot access your social security account online from outside the US. You have to deal with either the Embassy or Social Security in Manila. Good luck with Manila as I haven't ever gotten any response.

I have certainly always been able to access the website, and don't yet have any reason to access my account, since I am not yet eligible for benefits. I have, however, accessed their benefit calculator, which uses their records of my earnings and payments to calculate a future monthly payment amount.

And the office in Manila has a reputation of being extremely helpful. I know several people who give them glowing reviews, and are grateful for their service.

Again, go figure.

Can you get to this site?

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

Yes just fine. ToT open dns

I don't think it's a DNS issue, because I can use a third-party DNS lookup tool, and enter the ip address directly, and STILL no connection.

I have seen reports all over the web about this problem, but it seems never to get resolved. Usually, everyone just says, "It works fine for me. Check your internet settings.", and the thread peters out.

There must be some routing issue somewhere, maybe at their end, that is filtering ranges of IP addresses.

They have six months and a few days to repair it, if they know whats good for...me. :)

Using Chrome and Firefox, with DNS provided by DHCP from ToT, or using Comodo's DNS servers, I also can not access www.ssa.gov.

Yea, I've tried IE8 and Chrome on both my computers...also tried changing to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4....all of this made no difference. All my software is up to date.

For me, I"m on True Cable internet and not True DSL. Having the same issue in reaching the Bangkok American Embassy ACS Appt System, which is actually hosted on a U.S. State Dept server in the States. In my case, I think it's just a True cable internet thing. Folks on True DSL don't see to be having an issue. When I was on TOT up until about six weeks ago, I never had any problem reaching secure/https U.S. govt web sites but I will admit it had been several months However, with what I just said and now seeing some folks on 3BB and TOT are also having an issue, maybe the problem is outside Thailand.

I can't reach it either. I'm on True Cable internet in Bangkok. However, as soon as I activate my VPN I can each it no problem...it pulls up fast.

Assuming, just hypothetically of course, that you needed to explain that to someone who was clueless, what would you tell me I mean how would you explain that to some hypothetical person?

In this hypothetical case I would tell the person to google VPN. Here's a starter link...a link I got when I googled VPN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

And then view the StrongVPN website at: http://www.strongvpn.com/ for some more info.

Yea, I've tried IE8 and Chrome on both my computers...also tried changing to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4....all of this made no difference. All my software is up to date.

For me, I"m on True Cable internet and not True DSL. Having the same issue in reaching the Bangkok American Embassy ACS Appt System, which is actually hosted on a U.S. State Dept server in the States. In my case, I think it's just a True cable internet thing. Folks on True DSL don't see to be having an issue. When I was on TOT up until about six weeks ago, I never had any problem reaching secure/https U.S. govt web sites but I will admit it had been several months However, with what I just said and now seeing some folks on 3BB and TOT are also having an issue, maybe the problem is outside Thailand.

Strange. I can get to the ACS appt system without a hitch, but still no ssa.gov.

Yea, strange to me also. I cannot reach either the Social Security web site or ACS Appt System web site. Ain't old enough yet to draw social security benefits but I still wanted to try to reach the site as I have used it before to get smarter on social security benefits and I wanted to see if I could still connect since I now have True cable internet (as noted above I could not connect).

Just for gee-whizs I entered 199.173.225.5 which is the IP address for www.ssa.gov but still couldn't connect. Turned on the VPN, retried the 199.173.225.5 address and connected in a second...also connected within a second when using the www.ssa.gov layman's name. I have tried other DNS servers like Google Public DNS and it don't make a difference. Beyond my knowledge of what and where the problem is. That is, in-Thailand, somewhere in between, the SSA servers, etc.

I just know it works when connecting via VPN. Having VPN access now also makes the www.annualcreditreport.com available to me (the wife and I pulled our free U.S. credit reports last night), I can now stream video from TV/Movie sites where before I was just told in a browser message I could not connect due to the my location (i.e., Thailand), and access to other sites I previous couldn't access/use even when I was on TOT DSL before. Yesterday I signed up for the StrongVPN PPTP 4 City Special for $55/year (equal to $4.53/mo)...the whole process took about 15 minutes to activate my new StrongVPN account. They gave clear and easy instructions on how to setup Windows to connect via VPN (took about 5-10 minutes to setup the computer slowly reading the instructions). After setting up the VPN which took a total of about 20-25 minutes counting the sign-up, payment, setting up the computer, I said to myself, "Durn, that was easy and didn't hurt at all."

With the VPN my inability to connect to certain web sites was gone. I will only turn on VPN when I can't reach a site...when I turn it on I"m connecting thought a StrongVPN server in San Francisco (other cities around the world available) which gives me a U.S. IP address...one of the 4 Cities available is in the UK somewhere which would work for Brits needing a UK IP address to reach certain sites. Using the VPN I get approx a 2Mb speed to the U.S....turn it off and I'm back to my True Cable 20Mb speed within Thailand and something lower to the rest of the world. The current problem of not being able to connect to the ACS Appt System was the last straw for me in terms of just blowing-off the inability to connect to a few sites such as those mentioned above...with some of the sites being important webs sites to me, either now or in the near future. To me it's worth the extra $4.53/month to be able to fully access the internet and important sites I must access periodically....gives some peace of mind also....wish I didn't have to pay for VPN but it's just another telecommunictions cost when living in Thailand.

And yea, yea, I know there are some free VPN offers out there but it appears your chances of lucking out and getting a free VPN account from some VPN company out there is like trying to win the lottery.

http://www.ssa.gov/

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

Both sites accessible via TRUE proxy server. With proxy turned off, all I get is blank page.

What is the True Proxy Server address/name?

Never mind, I googled and found the answer: It's "proxy.asianet.co.th" Port 8080 or "proxy.trueinternet.co.th" Port 8080.

I entered the asianet proxy into my browser connection setup and connected no problem to either of the above social security web sites and the American Bangkok Embassy Appt System web site. Good deal....thanks for the info. But I'll still keep my VPN to access those other sites looking for a U.S. IP address like the credit report site, TV/Movie sites, etc. Thanks again.

I just tried to access their website and was unable. When I switched on my VPN it worked.

If you are on True did you see posts 24 & 25 from a few minutes ago. If not on True, maybe using your ISP's proxy setting would work (or not).

Just a note to Post 25, when using your ISP's proxy server in your browser settings you probably won't be able to connect to any website "when not connecting to the internet via your ISP" like when you take your laptop on a trip and connect via an airport, hotel, family/friend internet, etc., LAN or hotspot. The True proxy would not allow a computer on another ISP to use True proxy. This is not a big deal. All you have to do is go back into your browser's LAN settings and deactivate the proxy (or remove the entry if your browser does not have a proxy deactivate/activate button). When you come back to your home in Thailand and connect through your home network you would need to reactivate/turn back on the proxy setting.

Above is how it worked for me in a previous job where we had a specific proxy setting while the computer was plugged into the company network, but when taking the laptop home or on a trip we had to deactivate the proxy setting in order to connect to airport, hotel, etc., networks and reach the internet.

Guys, I know what a proxy server entry is...and I've used them in the past...

But what I don't know is.... why should we have to set up our browsers with a True proxy address in order to successfully connect, as True cable internet customers, to places like the Social Security web site and the U.S. Consulate website for BKK? But most of the rest of the web seems fine without any proxy.

Particularly when the few same sites seem to be accessible with no problem via True DSL...

Edited by jfchandler

All you have to do is go back into your browser's LAN settings and deactivate the proxy (or remove the entry if your browser does not have a proxy deactivate/activate button).

If you're using Firefox, install the QuickProxy add-on.

But what I don't know is.... why should we have to set up our browsers with a True proxy address in order to successfully connect, as True cable internet customers, to places like the Social Security web site and the U.S. Consulate website for BKK?

Because True <deleted>' sucks.

But most of the rest of the web seems fine without any proxy.

Particularly when the few same sites seem to be accessible with no problem via True DSL...

It depends on the time of day.

I don't know how it is on cable, but alternating between proxy and no proxy has become routine (for me) whilst using True ADSL.