Any Satallite Experts?

Asaf

Dear All,

I am an expat living thailand for the past 5 years and just recently purchased the Dynasat digi sat. For the most part I am pretty happy with it.

Just a few questions for anyone fimilar with the local satellite.

I dont feel that confident that the company who set it up really had the proper equipment to get the strongest signals. It would seem I would have a much stronger signal then 60-70?

I have read that using the regular coax cable is not as good as the cable meant for satellite. Anyone know if this is offered here?

Does anyone know of a company that can align a satellite?

Thanks,

Asaf

Edited by Asaf

Where are you located Asaf?

I can recommend a company in Pattaya if you want.

Thanks for the response. I live in Bangkok. I just took a look at the dynasat website and looked at the list of "Free to air" channels and the channel I have been trying to tune in should be working but its not.

Are you in pattaya?

Thanks,

Asaf

I'm in Bangkok and use the Ipstar : I think , this is the best one for me.

The iPSTAR Broadband Satellite System design offers advantages not possible with conventional or other proposed broadband systems, or with terrestrial based competition :

Unparalleled capacity – 40 Gbps. total capacity 35 Gbps for two-way application and aggregate bandwidth of approximately 15 Gbps for broadcast applications.

Standard per Mbps price level for iPSTAR Broadband Satellite is expected to be less than one-third that of conventional satellite. Service Providers can pass this cost reduction on to end subscribers to increase its subscriber base while still enjoy huge upside of retail profitability and other value-added revenue potential.

Bandwidth on demand

Low price, small user dishes – 0.75 m. – 1.2 m., 0.5-2w radio at price less than $1,000 for return capability of up to 2 Mbps. and forward capability of up to 8 Mbps. /channel.

Full services capability

Instant infrastructure

Insensitivity to distance and remoteness

I'm in Bangkok and use the Ipstar : I think , this is the best one for me.

The iPSTAR Broadband Satellite System design offers advantages not possible with conventional or other proposed broadband systems, or with terrestrial based competition :

Unparalleled capacity – 40 Gbps. total capacity 35 Gbps for two-way application and aggregate bandwidth of approximately 15 Gbps for broadcast applications.

Standard per Mbps price level for iPSTAR Broadband Satellite is expected to be less than one-third that of conventional satellite. Service Providers can pass this cost reduction on to end subscribers to increase its subscriber base while still enjoy huge upside of retail profitability and other value-added revenue potential.

Bandwidth on demand

Low price, small user dishes – 0.75 m. – 1.2 m., 0.5-2w radio at price less than $1,000 for return capability of up to 2 Mbps. and forward capability of up to 8 Mbps. /channel.

Full services capability

Instant infrastructure

Insensitivity to distance and remoteness

I have seen Ipstar but thought it was only for broadband services. Is their a monthly fee on this like UBC for tv capablity? What type of channels do you receive?

Thanks,

Asaf

Where are you located Asaf?

I can recommend a company in Pattaya if you want.

Thanks for the response. I live in Bangkok. I just took a look at the dynasat website and looked at the list of "Free to air" channels and the channel I have been trying to tune in should be working but its not.

Are you in pattaya?

Thanks,

Asaf

Yes I am, but there's a company in BKK that markets/sells the Dynasat packages that should be able to assist you with fine tuning your setup.

Their name is J-Sat and they advertise in the BKK post nearly every day.

But are you aware you can fine tune the system yourself to get the best signal strength?

BTW, a signal strength of 64-68 is about the best I get from the AgilaKU sat... Thaicom somes in at about 77-80.

Yes I am, but there's a company in BKK that markets/sells the Dynasat packages that should be able to assist you with fine tuning your setup.

But are you aware you can fine tune the system yourself to get the best signal strength?

BTW, a signal strength of 64-68 is about the best I get from the AgilaKU sat... Thaicom somes in at about 77-80.

The company I used was www.bkkcabletv.com I have found their knowledge is very limited and not very pleasent to work with 'after' the sale.

My signal strength on AgilaKU channels 1-30 get signal at about 58-65 and 30 + 64-75 This makes it hard to watch FOX news and others because it rains so much it throws it down to 60 and the signal starts to crack up. I have used my 1- step function but cant seem to dial it in any better....

As far as Thaicom I get about 65-75 on a regular basis which is not bad. Have you been able to pick up any channels on PanAmSat 7/10? I am trying to tune in the AASTHA TV but I get nothing. I think sometimes it takes some working with the alignment of the dish it self to make sure its on the correct axis or pivot.

When the signal is strong the sound and clarity is impressive as I have it coming out my receiver. They really should make the connections Coponent connections instead of the regular RCA I think they could acheive a clearer picture. I want to get my signal strength up so I can have a clear picture when I get my plasma.

Any one know of a similar service in Phuket? I have exactly the same problems with my dish, and very shoddy service from the installer. (Phuket Satellite on Airport road = rubbish)

Edited by mogster

The company I used was www.bkkcabletv.com I have found their knowledge is very limited and not very pleasent to work with 'after' the sale. 

My signal strength on AgilaKU channels 1-30 get signal at about 58-65 and 30 + 64-75  This makes it hard to watch FOX news and others because it rains so much it throws it down to 60 and the signal starts to crack up. I have used my 1- step function but cant seem to dial it in any better....

As far as Thaicom I get about 65-75 on a regular basis which is not bad. Have you been able to pick up any channels on PanAmSat 7/10? I am trying to tune in the AASTHA TV but I get nothing.  I think sometimes it takes some working with the alignment of the dish it self to make sure its on the correct axis or pivot.

When the signal is strong the sound and clarity is impressive as I have it coming out my receiver. They really should make the connections Coponent connections instead of the regular RCA I think they could acheive a clearer picture. I want to get my signal strength up so I can have a clear picture when I get my plasma.

I'd contact J-Sat if I were you to fine tune your system

Although I've had no personal dealings with them, I know of people who have, and they've been very happy with the results.

BTW, rain will negatively affect the signal strength from any sat... just read this Forum on the UBC subscriber's complaints.

Yes- I have alrady checked their web page out and they look much more professional. I will see if they can come out and check things out. Thanks allot for the refrence. All keep you posted on my results.

Regards,

Asaf

The signals on Agila KU fading out with rain is pretty normal since basically we're only picking up stray radiation!

The footprint of the KU transponders doesn't even come close to Thailand :o

Lucky for us the design of these microwave antenna's is a bit of black magic, so even the best engineers don't know exactly where the signals are going to end up...

Signals on Thaicom however should be able to penetrate even the heaviest Thai thunderstorms they can throw at us :D

Edited by monty

The signals on Agila KU fading out with rain is pretty normal since basically we're only picking up stray radiation!

The footprint of the KU transponders doesn't even come close to Thailand :o

Lucky for us the design of these microwave antenna's is a bit of black magic, so even the best engineers don't know exactly where the signals are going to end up...

Signals on Thaicom however should be able to penetrate even the heaviest Thai thunderstorms they can throw at us  :D

Monte,

Thanks for the input. Do you have the same problems with the channels. For example the upper channels of Angila are always less quality then the lower channels. I seem to get in the 70's with ETC, CNN and others but for Fox, HBO its always much lower about 62-65

As far as thai tv I get about 63-75 3 comes in the worste.

Today my installer is coming back to sort our my problems becasue basically only a couple sattelites work which I have access to 30. So far I cant pick up anything from PanamSat 7/10.

So far I cant pick up anything from PanamSat 7/10.

Neither can I... :o

I'll do a check over the weekend and let you know what I can pick up (sat wise as well as channel wise) and let you know the signal strengths.

So far I cant pick up anything from PanamSat 7/10.

Neither can I... :o

I'll do a check over the weekend and let you know what I can pick up (sat wise as well as channel wise) and let you know the signal strengths.

Likewise, all report back what the installer ended up picking up. Just a side note. Talking with John yesterday from Jsat said I should be picking up about 1000 channels with no problems.

Let me know how you go... I'll try to list all the sats, their coordinates, signal strengths, and channels.

There are quite a few sats that list channels but do not transmit a signal, or are encoded ie. a pay channel.

Thaicom 2/3 KU is one example... all the UBC channels are listed and the signal strength is very clear (about 77-80) but they use the iredo2 encoding system so you cannot decode the signal.

Basically, all you will get is FTA (free-to-air) transmissions.

Let me know how you go... I'll try to list all the sats, their coordinates, signal strengths, and channels.

There are quite a few sats that list channels but do not transmit a signal, or are encoded ie. a pay channel.

Basically, all you will get is FTA (free-to-air) transmissions.

Many channels here in Asia are encrypted and if you turn on all the channels FTA & payTV there are over 2,600 radio and TV channels.

The box Afas mentioned was a 'Digibox' is that correct? If so, you should upgrade to the Silverbox Plus with card slot, as you can then watch UBC and many other payTV channels on both the C & Ku bands by subscribing to them.

The average install in Thailand should include 30 satellites, however most Thai providers will only tune 14 satellites for you.

Heck I was just watching the cricket, SA vrs NZL 2nd ODI (rats SA won and the series too) free to air on Panamsat 2, a satellite most thai installers will tell you they can not do, so go figure.

You should expect to get most satellites from 49 degress east [Yamal 202] to 169 degrees East [Panamsat 2] on the C band and many of them on the Ku Band with and without a foot print on Thailand. But with the 18" actuators most companies use you should at least expect to see from PAS 7/10 doen to Pas 2 [if it is a PSI or Infosat or Samart dish forget it - only Pas7/10 to PAS 8 at a push]

What a great hobby.

Cheers

As to the rain, it effect the Ku band and the C band is pretty immune to to it.

Edited by KuBand

Great info KuBand-

Jai Dai- The installer came back and worked on my set up for awile. KUBand your right most of them don't install the majority of the satellites we can get. I found out that most of them do it if "requested only". If no request then they just do the regular thaicom and Agila as they are used to most people only knowing these types.

What I can watch now...

1. Panamsat 7/10 All

2. Thaicom 2&3

3. Insat-2E

4. ST1

5. Asiasat-2

6. Asiasat-3c

7. Telkom

8. Palapa-c2

9. Thaicom-1a

10. Asiasat-4

11. Apstar-1a

12. Agila - Ku

13. Agila C-Band

14. Measat 2 Ku

To finally get Panamsat 7/10 he had to switch some setting but I wasn't quite sure what it was. It seems like a very long and drulling process of little shifts to pick up the correct axis. Seems like some sort of peice of electronics could speed up the process and make it more science based then just guessing.

Currently, I have a Dynasat F1 with card slot and auto updates using a 7.5 dish

With your recomendation KuBand I will try to pick up Panamsat -2.

yes- it seems as if it is turning into a hobby! :-)

Well i know I promised to do this over the weekend, but unfortunately my missus' extended Thai family decided to pay us a surprise visit... and I didn't get a chance.

:D

I will try again this week.

Does anyone know where you can get a complete listing (and coordinates etc) of all satellites with a footprint either on or close to Thailand?

/Edit - great to hear your system is working now Asaf. :o

Edited by Jai Dee

BTW, rain will negatively affect the signal strength from any sat... just read this Forum on the UBC subscriber's complaints.

This is only true of the dish provided is too small or border line for the job.

You do not see the main UBC signal fade because it is raining in Bangkok

and you have a clear sky where you live in the provinces!!

Nor does the overseas telephone sysytem stop working due to rain.

If rain fade is a problem try getting a bigger dish.

I recommend 1m as the minimum for UBC.

If you are accessing different satellites you will need a dish size based on the

weakest satellite signal.

Dear All,

I bought a dynasat F1 receiver with 8 ft dish and I am quite happy with the results so far, yes during rain the signal will fade but I still can switch to C-band. The auto update is working well also. No complaints so far. I now am looking to get more satelietes, any sites that can help?

rono

I am an expat living thailand for the past 5 years and just recently purchased the Dynasat digi sat.  For the most part I am pretty happy with it.

Just a few questions for anyone fimilar with the local satellite.

I dont feel that confident that the company who set it up really had the proper equipment to get the strongest signals. It would seem I would have a much stronger signal then 60-70?

I have read that using the regular coax cable is not as good as the cable meant for satellite. Anyone know if this is offered here?

Does anyone know of a company that can align a satellite?

Thanks,

Asaf

Dear All,

I bought a dynasat F1 receiver with 8 ft dish and I am quite happy with the results so far, yes during rain the signal will fade but I still can switch to C-band. The auto update is working well also. No complaints so far. I now am looking to get more satelietes, any sites that can help?

rono

Check out the link in Post # 21 rono.

And BTW, :D to :o

Why don't you pop over to this thread and say hello.

• 3 weeks later...
Great info KuBand-

Sorry for the delay have been out working for a few days. Right you list below should include.

What I can watch now...

1. Panamsat 7/10 All

Eutelsat W5 (ku band)

LMI (C & Ku Band)

Telstar 10 (C & ku band)

2. Thaicom 2&3

3. Insat-2E

Chinastar (C & ku band)

4. ST1

Measat 1 (C & Ku Band)

NSS6 (Ku band)

5. Asiasat-2 (C & Ku Band)

6. Asiasat-3c

7. Telkom

8. Palapa-c2 (C & Ku Band)

9. Thaicom-1a

10. Asiasat-4

JCSAT 4 (ku Band)

JCSAT 3 (C Band)

11. Apstar-1a

AM3 (ku band)

Superbird C (ku Band)

12. Agila - Ku

13. Agila C-Band

14. Measat 2 Ku

JCSAT 2 (C Band)

Panamsat 8 (C & Ku band)

Panamsat 2 (C Band)

Enjoy it - a great hobby the whole family can enjoy.

What channel was the cricket on & will you be able to get England tour to Pakistan?

Opps sorry for the delay in replying;

It was on the standard 'Globecast feed' channel on Pamasat 2 C band

Also on here you get the TVNZ News every day, CBS News, Tonight show, The NASCAR live feeds, The USA PGA nightly feed, NFL etc ..

The HSBC Championship was on Asiasat 2 C band Free to air (Golf)