Amari Trang

Lawnmower

Has anybody stayed in the Amari hotel in Trang ? I'm looking for some unbiased info on it.  Let us know what it is like if you have.

Cheers

Amari Hotel Trang

I haven't stayed there personally, but stayed down the road from there in some private bungalows. Passed by all the time. Seemed really nice and right on the beach. I believe the only hotel/accomodation that is. Price at the time seemed quite reasonable. I think I was there in March. Weather in the evening was the muggiest I've ever experienced in Thailand. No breezes.

visit the off shore islands for crystal clear water and snorkeling.

Beachbunny

Amari Trang is a very nice hotel with good food and service (although some of the staff this season appeared a little 'green' - apparantely many of the lower positions have changed - the opening crew left and new people come in to fill their places.

The hotel is extremely tastefully constructed, and the rooms are very nice. The breakfast buffet has the usual selection of what you can expect in that price range, with some extra bonus for having unusual types of bread (with olives and various spices, as well as Danish pastries).

There is a large swimming pool which is not deep enough to dive in, but nice enough.

I spent 3 nights there 2 weeks ago, and it was a nice experience.

The beach was not very clean though (nobody had cleaned up the debris, and the water was not very clear either. The beach is situated close to a river mouth, so I doubt the water immediately next to the hotel ever gets too clear - but it will be better than it was when I was there, as the rain is the main culprit in messing up sight in the water).

The food in the Italian restaurant of Amari is definitely worth trying out, and the Shiraz they offered was fantastic.

Nearby is Paak Meeng beach, with restaurants and small shops as well as a few simple bungalow resorts. You can find motorcycles to rent there if you want to explore the coastline while there. Amari is 'off' so you need some type of transport to get around - the hotel does try to provide minibuses to the best of their ability, but the system is anything but fool proof. If you dont have your own wheels, arrange for pickup with the hotel.

If you like seafood Thai style, make sure you try out Yok Yong restaurant on Pak Meng Beach.