Eea Family Permit

Hi I am holder of dual nationality as I was born in Northern Ireland ahold an Irish and British passport, I am working in the UK and have done so for 3 year for the Civil service so I meet the requirements for applying for my wife who is Thai and at the moment living in Thailand but am unsure how I should approach applying for the EEA Family permit.

I have all the info and know my wife has to apply from Thailand for the family permit but do not know if this can be done by post or does she have to make an appointment with the British Embassy.

Also Is it okay that I have my photo copy of my passport signed by a civil servant in the UK to confirm that this is a true copy of my passport ?

Any information on the process would be helpful and thanks in advance

Jeff

She completes an online application, completing form VAF5, and makes an appointment at the UK Visa Application Centre to submit her supporting documents and have her biometrics taken. She will need a TB certificate, but as she is applying under the EEA Regulations she will not need an English certificate.

See How to Apply.

You may find this guidance helpful.

You can self certify your passport, using the wording "I certify that this is a true copy of Irish passport number xxxxxxxxx. Signed (Full nmae.)"

Ditto if you are submitting a copy of your British passport because it contains evidence of your visits to Thailand.

One thing you have failed to mention is :

• The length of the relationship an EU family permit maybe declined if the ECO thinks this is a sham wedding ?
  • They will call & interview her on the phone & ask her all about the relationship.
  • And in 3 recent applications to enter the EU as a family member they called one of our applicants & interviewed her at length.

Regards Paul

Hi just a few more questions as better to look stupid now than later, there are just a few things that are worded on the VAF5 application form which I am finding difficult to understand.

· Travel dates 'on which date will you leave the UK.'

As my wife is coming to join me in the UK and live indefinitely do I need to enter a leave date?

· Other names (including other names you are known by and/or any names that you have been known by.

Like most Thai my wife has a nickname and she was also married before so do I put both of these names down?

· What is your total monthly income from all sources of employment or occupation after tax?

As I am provided for my wife and she doesn't work would her answer to this be 0 Bhat?

· Is the EEA currently living in the UK if yes when did they arrive?

As I have always lived in the UK as I was born in Northern Ireland but have an Irish passport what answer would I give for this question?

· Do you intend to work in the UK, if yes please provide proof?

As she is coming to live with me but when she arrives does not have a job but does intend to work in the future, would I just state this in the extra information part.

Thanks in advance for any info on these questions.

Edited by Greenbhoy

· Travel dates 'on which date will you leave the UK.'

As it is now a computer form, you have to put something. Any date will do, and then a brief explanation in the additional info section or cover letter.

· Other names (including other names you are known by and/or any names that you have been known by.

Any and all official names she has had should be entered. Don't bother with nicknames.

· What is your total monthly income from all sources of employment or occupation after tax?

If 0 baht is what she earns, then 0 baht is what you put.

· Is the EEA currently living in the UK if yes when did they arrive?

As I have always lived in the UK as I was born in Northern Ireland but have an Irish passport what answer would I give for this question?

I'd put your date of birth and expalin in the addition info section or cover letter.

· Do you intend to work in the UK, if yes please provide proof?

Can answer 'Yes' and then expand in the additional information section or cover letter.