Pizza N Pasta

KhunDave

I have been a regular customer at Pizza n' Pasta for 6 months from early October 2010 to the end of March 2011. Then I left for Europe where I live and work for 6 months of the year. I am coming back to Chiang Mai again in October this year and plan on eating at Pizza n' Pasta again once or twice a week for another 6 months just like I did last year. It is my favorite pizza-resturant in Chiang Mai. I have never waited for more than 20 minutes for my order. The resturant has never made a mistake with my order. They also have excellent fruit smoothies there in 3 different flavors. The only thing I am worried about with this resturant is that they will go out of business because it looks to me like they have too few customers to make much money...

It's strange that people have such different experiences with this resturant both when it comes to the food and the service. I find both to be excellent. I also like the owner who often comes by my table when I am there. (No, we're not childhood friends - I met him the first time in October 2010 the first time I tried out his resturant)

I agree 100%. I have lived 1 km up the hill from Pizza and Pasta 10 years before he opened there and have eaten there more times than I can count. Sure was nice not having to drive into town to try and find a place that had good food as well as good service any longer. I have never had a bad experience there with the food, service or have I ever felt that it was overly priced. I don't mind paying for something I like and get big portions of.

I can understand that someone else might have had a bad experience there as I think it impossible to make everyone happy all the time and mistakes due happen, I fortunately have had good luck there, but again I can understand that there is bound to be some negative post due to the simple fact that shiit does happen.

As far as the owner not taking his business seriously, all I can say that is he's there from early till late busting his ass making a go of the place and doing the best he can, as far as I can see, but everyone has their own opinion and that's what this forum is all about, right? However, I see no need for being rude or doing a character assassination on anyone in here, it's not needed and it's not in good taste.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extreemly difficult to get a good pizza in Thailand haven't had any luck yet. All the places seem to be American style very little toppings on a piece of dried crust. The type you get at pizza hut and domino's and the like, terrible pizzas. Everything is evenly measured out and strategically placed in position on the crust. Where can one get a good aussie styled pizza? Thick base, with lashings of tomato, cheese, shredded ham, bacon, mushrooms, hot salami, capsicum, chillies, egg and olives nothing measured just handfulls thrown onto the base and when finnished the topping alone is about 5 cm (2 inches) thick. A true meal fit for a man. The American and Thai style of pizza with thier thin carboard base and the scent of topping waved over the top are just not pizza.

I have been a regular customer at Pizza n' Pasta for 6 months from early October 2010 to the end of March 2011. Then I left for Europe where I live and work for 6 months of the year. I am coming back to Chiang Mai again in October this year and plan on eating at Pizza n' Pasta again once or twice a week for another 6 months just like I did last year. It is my favorite pizza-resturant in Chiang Mai. I have never waited for more than 20 minutes for my order. The resturant has never made a mistake with my order. They also have excellent fruit smoothies there in 3 different flavors. The only thing I am worried about with this resturant is that they will go out of business because it looks to me like they have too few customers to make much money...

It's strange that people have such different experiences with this resturant both when it comes to the food and the service. I find both to be excellent. I also like the owner who often comes by my table when I am there. (No, we're not childhood friends - I met him the first time in October 2010 the first time I tried out his resturant)

I agree 100%. I have lived 1 km up the hill from Pizza and Pasta 10 years before he opened there and have eaten there more times than I can count. Sure was nice not having to drive into town to try and find a place that had good food as well as good service any longer. I have never had a bad experience there with the food, service or have I ever felt that it was overly priced. I don't mind paying for something I like and get big portions of.

I can understand that someone else might have had a bad experience there as I think it impossible to make everyone happy all the time and mistakes due happen, I fortunately have had good luck there, but again I can understand that there is bound to be some negative post due to the simple fact that shiit does happen.

As far as the owner not taking his business seriously, all I can say that is he's there from early till late busting his ass making a go of the place and doing the best he can, as far as I can see, but everyone has their own opinion and that's what this forum is all about, right? However, I see no need for being rude or doing a character assassination on anyone in here, it's not needed and it's not in good taste.

Too true.

I also have never had a problem with either the food or the service at PnP. It's not the Ritz but it does a decent job. New location is much better with easy parking and a full house when I checked it out the other night.

IMHO, vindictive personal attacks often say more about the poster than the person being abused.

Edited by folium

One of the things I noticed when going to Pizza n Pasta was several of the cooks and the owner were always smoking when not making pizzas or handling food. Handling this cancerous product not to mention the filthy overflowing ashtrays was enough to put me off their food.

If this was in front off the customers what the hell is going on in the kitchen?

What is the standard of hygeine?

,,, We have gone to Pizza N Pasta countless times over the last year,,,, ....... WE LOVE all his Pizza and the fresh home made pasta dishes on offer,,,Perhaps his best item on his menu could be,,,, the chicken parmigiana,....,so so yummy!!!! , outstanding!!!!!,,,, the best i have ever had anywhere in the world!!!!.. Kuhn Steve the owner from New York has perfected his Pizza dough over time to where i think its as good as any pizza i have had anywhere in the world,,,,, that's not a easy task here as most pizza lovers know,,, great pizza dough is hard to perfect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Whether you like your pizza thin & crispy ,,, thick & chewy,,,, or,,, New York style....... he has many different choices on offer,,, not one choice like most pizza places here in Thailand,,,,3 or 4 different tomato sources to choose fro are also freshly made and excellent,,,,,

,.. Pizzas are always crisp and never soggy and that's not a easy task here in Thailand,,,,, ...Who else gives you so much variety anywhere in town? or Thailand for that matter? he uses the best fresh ingredients money can buy,,,,,if we did have a small complaint...,,,we wish he would be a bit more generous with his toppings,,, ,,,

Over our many visits he has had his fair share of a few bad hair days when his food was bit off ,,,,but,,,, i think that's acceptable and to be expected and not something to whine about,,,even on a bad hair day his pizza is far better then most,,,,,we have found that our over 30 or so odd visits his food and service has been for the most part terrific!!!,,,,

On a side note ..... 90% of this man business comes from Thais and not farangs..,,,,. he also has a very nice take out business with a large following,,,, most nights the last 4 months or so his restaurant has always been busy over dinner hours,,

,Kuhn Steve being from New York has brought his New York attitude with him and for those of you familiar with most New Yorkers sometimes they can have a bit of a attitude ,most people either love New Yorkers or hate them,,,but we really don't go there for HIS is personality,,do we?.. we go for his outstanding food,,,,, however,,,,,, once you get to know him,,, he is a really a very nice man,,,

If any of you keyboard cowards ever said what you wrote to Khun Steve face....... i think,,,, you would be in for a good beating ,,,he really does not give a rats ass about bitchy whiny farangs that have nothing better to do then complain and slander his good name,,,,,,, i am not going to mention names here but to the few of you guys who have slandered his good name,,,

, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,

I bet you don't have the balls to tell him to his face what garbage you have written!!.DO YOU?.. This comment does not speak for the owner,,,,but i am tired at some of the <deleted> that gets written here and wanted to vent a little,,,

We believe Chang Mai is a much better place with Pizza N Pasta here and Kuhn Steve has proven himself to be a very nice man and wish him and his lovely Thai wife the very best in his new location,,,

All the places seem to be American style very little toppings on a piece of dried crust.

Sorry, but this is an Italian style pizza and what you call an "Aussie" pizza - other than the eggs - originated in America and is common there. ;)

Well great Ulysses where can I find a Yank in Chiangmai to make me a traditional Australian pizza? Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi, sorry ummm Yanky Yanky Yanky Oi Oi Oi. American is now Australian.

I have to say is an Aussie pizza is an American Pizza there is absolutely nothing in The American pizza chains that even resembles 1% of an Australian pizza.

Edited by softgeorge

,,, We have gone to Pizza N Pasta countless times over the last year,,,, ....... WE LOVE all his Pizza and the fresh home made pasta dishes on offer,,,Perhaps his best item on his menu could be,,,, the chicken parmigiana,....,so so yummy!!!! , outstanding!!!!!,,,, the best i have ever had anywhere in the world!!!!.. Kuhn Steve the owner from New York has perfected his Pizza dough over time to where i think its as good as any pizza i have had anywhere in the world,,,,, that's not a easy task here as most pizza lovers know,,, great pizza dough is hard to perfect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Whether you like your pizza thin & crispy ,,, thick & chewy,,,, or,,, New York style....... he has many different choices on offer,,, not one choice like most pizza places here in Thailand,,,,3 or 4 different tomato sources to choose fro are also freshly made and excellent,,,,,

,.. Pizzas are always crisp and never soggy and that's not a easy task here in Thailand,,,,, ...Who else gives you so much variety anywhere in town? or Thailand for that matter? he uses the best fresh ingredients money can buy,,,,,if we did have a small complaint...,,,we wish he would be a bit more generous with his toppings,,, ,,,

Over our many visits he has had his fair share of a few bad hair days when his food was bit off ,,,,but,,,, i think that's acceptable and to be expected and not something to whine about,,,even on a bad hair day his pizza is far better then most,,,,,we have found that our over 30 or so odd visits his food and service has been for the most part terrific!!!,,,,

On a side note ..... 90% of this man business comes from Thais and not farangs..,,,,. he also has a very nice take out business with a large following,,,, most nights the last 4 months or so his restaurant has always been busy over dinner hours,,

,Kuhn Steve being from New York has brought his New York attitude with him and for those of you familiar with most New Yorkers sometimes they can have a bit of a attitude ,most people either love New Yorkers or hate them,,,but we really don't go there for HIS is personality,,do we?.. we go for his outstanding food,,,,, however,,,,,, once you get to know him,,, he is a really a very nice man,,,

If any of you keyboard cowards ever said what you wrote to Khun Steve face....... i think,,,, you would be in for a good beating ,,,he really does not give a rats ass about bitchy whiny farangs that have nothing better to do then complain and slander his good name,,,,,,, i am not going to mention names here but to the few of you guys who have slandered his good name,,,

I bet you don't have the balls to tell him to his face what garbage you have written!!.DO YOU?.. This comment does not speak for the owner,,,,but i am tired at some of the <deleted> that gets written here and wanted to vent a little,,,

We believe Chang Mai is a much better place with Pizza N Pasta here and Kuhn Steve has proven himself to be a very nice man and wish him and his lovely Thai wife the very best in his new location,,,

If you want a New York pizza or an American pizza then you would go to the U.S. Pizza's in Thailand are disgusting and very American style moddeled on pizzahut (U.S crap food chain) I have eaten pizza in The U;S and it is terrible, a few flavours waved across the top but nothing actually on top. give me a big hearty 3 inch thick Australian pizza anyday. You have to try the Kangaroo meat pizza ay Michael Angelo's in Box Hill Melbourne, It is to die for.

As far as I know, there is not a yank or an aussie making excellent pizzas in Thailand. :(

I have been to Australia many times and there are good pizzas there, but no better than the US.

All this talk of pizza is giving me cravings. Is there antwhere in Chiangmai where yo can get a good roo meat pizza? I know the sell Roo steaks in Mackro so there must be someone who makes a good Aussie pizza with roo meat

All this talk of pizza is giving me cravings. Is there antwhere in Chiangmai where yo can get a good roo meat pizza? I know the sell Roo steaks in Mackro so there must be someone who makes a good Aussie pizza with roo meat
I asked a few Thai friends, but all I could get out of them was "My Roo?!". :whistling:

What is the standard of hygeine?

I am just taking a stab in the dark here, but suspect it is something similar to the standard of hygiene with an annoying typo on the last word.

If you were so pedantic about the juxtaposition of the "i" and "e" then you had better spend all your life correcting the other semi literates on TV as well.

Oh, its not OBVIOUS that this post purports to be from a customer but is actually from the owner of the joint. "Khun Steve". Word of advice, if youre going to do this dont make it so obvious!!!

I asked a few Thai friends, but all I could get out of them was "My Roo?!". :whistling:

:cheesy:

....and in answer to the VERY NASTY stuff toward the end of this post, I am not, as you (Khun Steve??!!) put it, a "keyboard coward", after my very bad experience with your food I called by and asked to speak to you, to be told you had gone out....well, yes you had, but only AFTER I arrived and asked for you because I saw you heading out the back door!!.....so whos the "coward" now??!!

As a result of being snubbed like this I called by and left a copy of my Thai Visa post with my phone number on it for you to call for a chat. And did you/ he call me? NO.

So, in conclusion, any kind of coward I am not.......but its not exactly helpful for constructive critics to be told that I might be "in for a good beating!!!". I ask you, how to win friends and customers......NOT!!!

In Fact, Mr. Moderator, can I seriously suggest that you close this thread down now for two reasons, the most recent very long post is so clearly a piece of self promotion from the owner, but more importantly, this post contains threats of physical violence as in "a good beating...."

Completely outrageous and totally unacceptable in my view.

In Fact, Mr. Moderator, can I seriously suggest that you close this thread down now for two reasons, the most recent very long post is so clearly a piece of self promotion from the owner, but more importantly, this post contains threats of physical violence as in "a good beating...."

Completely outrageous and totally unacceptable in my view.

[/quote

My post,,,,,,is by no means a threat of bodily harm to you or any of the other guys who flamed,& slandered Kuhn Steve and his business Pizza N Pasta,,,..so feel free to relax and not get your panties in a up roar!!..hahahaha,,,,

,I am NOT the owner of this business as i have already said,,,.... my comments to you and others was a only a off the cuff remark and nothing more,,,,,,,,truth be told,,, i have no idea what the owner would do to you,,,,, so take a chill pill and relax!!!!!!

Ti's was ,your original post and a few others,,, witch has since been removed by the good people of Thai Visa that i have reacted to,,,,,for good reason,,, as your original post was a cruel and most vicious attempt to hurt AND intentionally slander,,, a good business here for no good reason,,, you and a few others have crossed the line,,,,,, went way beyond the rules and tried to harm him and his business,,,, IMHO.,,,, perhaps you have a hidden agenda? It would seem,,,,,,, i don't know,,,

,,, Its one thing to give a review of a Establishments food and service,,, it another to go after the owner and his business in such a way you did,,Ti's was not fair to him,,,,,, if it were my business i would surly think to have SUED you in a court of law for slander for what have you said,,,,,,,

I hope you have learned a lesson here,,,perhaps not?

, Like i said in my original post any business can have a bad hair day or two,,,,, think to go back and try is food again,,,,his Pizza N Pasta really is the BEST IN TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no hard feelings M8,,, !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by thailandrocks

I've been on a pizza mission for the past eight years. If price is no object then "Coaches" is probably the best pizza in Chiang Mai. It costs the same as a pizza would cost in America and is not quite as good given their stinginess with the mozzarella, but is still better than every other place here. Second would probaly be The Dukes. It's far from the perfect pizza but it is very consistent in its quality, which few restaurants here can can claim. I'd place Pizza and Pasta at third (on a good day). They need to do more to make a more substantial sauce, provide more cheese, and stop being so skimpy on their toppings. Francesca's, Paradise Pizza, and that place in front of Ban Wang Tan whose name I've forgotten are all pretty similar and forgettable.

Last dozen or so Pizzas I got in the states, Colorado and California both were $5 or about 150 Baht. Looking for the same here . . .

Talking to my wife last night about this subject and how I love a good pizza. Today she brings me home a pizza, the most disgusting and sickening thing that I had ever tried to eat. A base that more resembled bread, with some peas and corn sprinkled on top, a few little pieces of ham (just normal sandwich ham) cut into four and then this condensed milk dribbled across the top. It was so sweet and I couldn't even swallow the first mouthful. The package it came in said "Ham Pizza" I have had donuts that weren't as sweet and vile as this Thai pizza (Pizza Hut)

In Fact, Mr. Moderator, can I seriously suggest that you close this thread down now for two reasons, the most recent very long post is so clearly a piece of self promotion from the owner, but more importantly, this post contains threats of physical violence as in "a good beating....

"Completely outrageous and totally unacceptable in my view.

Ok, after being advised by a few customers about this thread I decided to take a peek.

Postman.... You came to my home and left a note under my door and scard my wife. You didnt get a response from me because I thought it best to leave you and your other blog buddies to your own devices. I didnt get a chance to read the supposed horrible posts about me simply because I DONT CARE. Your not important enough for me to threaten because you are no threat to me. The stuff you type and some few other of you is for your entertainment and not my concern. As the other poster Thailandrocks has stated,90% of my customers are Thai and I am hapy with that. This is the first post I have ever written and probably the last time I come back here to read.

I do think that if anyone has any questions or comments about my restaurant and you have that burning need to express it. Come and talk with me. I am always interested in CONSTRUCTIVE citicism minus any of the wild accusations, I am guessing thats what this blog is for. I am too busy to play with you guys and personally it seems to drama driven for my happy go lucky personality.I would like to take this time to explain the lapse last year for 2 months When Mr. postman here decided to pay me a visit because of the change in the way my food was made. I moved very quickly last year in view of the fact my landlord decided to increase my rent by 30% with a 4 day notice. Seemed my sweat and long hours were supposed to be to his benefit when it was paying off. So I movedand seup within 4 days to Nong Kwai. That move almost drained my resources and I needed to get sme back fast. So I decided that my wife and I had trained the staff well enough to continue making the pizza and pasta while I could sleep from 5pm till 1am to do some constructive baking. Cookies,cakes,brownies and the like. I wasnt the last to know things changed while i was altering my work schedule. Lets be real here. A drop in sales from lets say 15,000 a night to 2000 is noticable. I just couldnt see where the problem was. I made the sauces and doughs every morning. So I didnt see how things were going wrong. By the time I realised I had to be in the kitchen it was pretty much a moot point. I was either going to have to close or start sellng stuff,some investments cant be liquidated as easily s others. Anyway to make a long story short, I stopped baking and went back to the kitchen.

My most recent move s truly as a result of the government coming to me and the buiding owner telling us we would be paid to move and the buildings are coming down next year. Last but not least. I make no claims about comparing my pizza or pasta to anyone elses. This is my style, New York. Thats were Im from,thats were I learned to cook so thats how I cook. Even in NY ooking tastes different from restaurant to restaurant as it should be since different people are cooking and we all have different tastes. So if you like my food I am happy that you enjoy it, if you dont like it then find a place that cooks to your specific tastes. Dont attack me because you cant find what you want,its unresonalble and not fair. T hanks for reading and if yur offended by my true explainations then I guess its your problem not mine. Eat well :)

Edited by sbk
formatting removed

Last dozen or so Pizzas I got in the states, Colorado and California both were $5 or about 150 Baht. Looking for the same here . . .

Just like when people got a little carried away fawning over bread from Farang-run bakeries, I think I may have to do the same in this case and actually just make a pizza from scratch and tot up the actual costs.

If you recall, a good big loaf of excellent bread is about 21 baht cost when buying the ingredients retail. (Essentially just flour, yeast and salt)

For a pizza there's more variance, as you can really go crazy with imported ingredients. But to remain fair to the $5 pizza in the US, using local affordable ingredients, I think it would be best to stick to local ingredients, using tomatos from the market, cheese from Makro (or maybe I'll splurge and go for the Vintage cheese or parmesan), some ham or other meat. Or maybe a seafood pizza, seafood is always an easy sell to Thai people even in a Farang dish. Then let's see the total. I tried to make some Focaccia bread last week, which pretty much turned into a pizza-like disc anyway (a very nice onion-olive oil-rosemary pizza I could add), so how hard can it be. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If you recall, a good big loaf of excellent bread is about 21 baht cost when buying the ingredients retail. (Essentially just flour, yeast and salt)

I rather skip buying an oven, going to the store for the ingredients, mixing the dough, sticking around waiting for the bread to bake and cleaning up afterwards and just pay someone else to do it. :ermm:

Can't understand why someone who wasn't satisfied with a pizza needs to become involved in an Internet diatribe and notes under doors etc. Life's too short Postman. Thais wouldn't skip a beat if this happened to them. They wouldn't dwell on it for a second as they would simply avoid the cause of their discomfort.

It seems Steve allowed standards to drop for a while by letting Thais run the kitchen. This is a big mistake in Thailand. However, he recognized the problem and says he rectified it. I say, give the guy a break.

Talking about Italian restaurants, I had an excellent meal at Beccofino (Soi 7 Nimmahaemin Rd.). Real Italian food, excellently prepared and wonderful attentive, knowledgable and friendly service. One does pay for the pleasure (we shared an appetizer and pasta, each had an entree and a glass wine and mineral water and one espresso for 3000 bht before tip) but well worth it if your looking for fine dinning. Had a pizza last night at Dukes which was pretty good but the sauce is to chunky, more suitable for a pasta dish, which makes it a bit messy to eat. The Vegetable Lasagna there not only looked horrible but was just terrible, a large pile of tomato sauce with everything underneath a mussy mess with the pasta dissolving in my mouth. Also this week ordered pizza at Kelly's in Rimping Plaza, and we got whole wheat bread with a crust on top, and a light brushing of red sauce and cheese but not enough of either to taste. And finally also had pizza at Koh Lanta, pretty good! Also their pasta was excellent but all the portions were so small that we had to order more than one each. Not a great pizza eater so not sure what happened last week, guess I'm just a softy who can't so no to kids!!

3000 baht for a simple dinner like that....what an absolute rip-off...in my opinion. I guess that's where the rich folks go to eat.

Can't understand why someone who wasn't satisfied with a pizza needs to become involved in an Internet diatribe and notes under doors etc. Life's too short Postman. Thais wouldn't skip a beat if this happened to them. They wouldn't dwell on it for a second as they would simply avoid the cause of their discomfort.

It seems Steve allowed standards to drop for a while by letting Thais run the kitchen. This is a big mistake in Thailand. However, he recognized the problem and says he rectified it. I say, give the guy a break.

OK,OK,OK, end of story for me! At least the owner has admitted there were problems, so the complaints were in fact justified. The place has now moved to an area I dont frequent so wont be using it anyway.

Good luck for the future, nobody wants to see businesses go down in these recessionary times!

This thread - Thai Visa at it's absolute best :cheesy::whistling::clap2:

So what have we learned? Well seems like the owner was trying to do some sneaky free advertising on TV and ended up doing a "Gerald Ratner". Another place to add to the long list of venues in CM tagged "AVOID - egotistical Farang owner", ;)

Anyway, more on topic. Still wanna know where to get a decent pizza in Nimanheminda area. :P