Pizza N Pasta

KhunDave

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They moved a few Sundays ago, forget the date. I was given a map to the new place, but am in BKK now and don't have it with me. It's now off of Hang Dong road diagonally across from the Bic C & Home Pro somewhere. Best I can do, sorry. Was told the now have decent parking....

Quite a strange way to run a business. On the Sunday that they disappeared I called to order a pizza for home delivery but was told they weren't open that day.

Went past the next day and as was said the place was stripped bare. Why not just tell me they were moving and give me their new address?

Logical conclusion was that they'd done a runner. No sign on the old place advising of the new location either.

Obviously don't want to keep their old customers!

Quite a strange way to run a business. On the Sunday that they disappeared I called to order a pizza for home delivery but was told they weren't open that day.

Went past the next day and as was said the place was stripped bare. Why not just tell me they were moving and give me their new address?

Logical conclusion was that they'd done a runner. No sign on the old place advising of the new location either.

Yeah, your right. It is very strange that he did not think to re direct his customers before moving. Had I not gone in I would not have known either. He does however explain the move on his Facebook page and states the reason for moving is that the Government is going to widen the road and that whole corner shophouse complex will be coming down. This again is very strange in that the complex was just completed recently and one would think it would not have been allowed to be built in the first place if the road was going to be widened. But then again, this is Thailand and nothing surprises me much anymore.

I

Yeah, your right. It is very strange that he did not think to re direct his customers before moving. Had I not gone in I would not have known either. He does however explain the move on his Facebook page and states the reason for moving is that the Government is going to widen the road and that whole corner shophouse complex will be coming down. This again is very strange in that the complex was just completed recently and one would think it would not have been allowed to be built in the first place if the road was going to be widened. But then again, this is Thailand and nothing surprises me much anymore.

What a :crazy:.

So, right: because at some point in the future the road would be widened, he's checking out of there from one day to the next. Suuuurrre.

#WeirdFarangs ;)

I

Pizza and Pasta was on middle ring road between Big C and canal road on the left (south) side near the Siritara condo projects. When things started going well, the rent was jacked way up as I have been told and have seen time and time again and they moved to the location on third ring road and canal. This building on the corner that has sat empty for years, Now yes, word is they are enlarging canal road all the way south of Hang Dong to connect to the super highway (11) Don't know much more about that. However, The Pizza and pasta store is in the process of relocating to a new building (Blue color) with ample parking, again on the lift side of middle ring road. When you turn from Big C tward canal road, it is just a few business away before there old location in that area. This time they have a long term lease that should help make a stable location.

Where it is true the 1 time I did try their Pizza, it was over priced IMO and they forgot the cheese. When asked they made no effort to fix the problem. I blame this on the staff at the time, and not the owner. I do know he tries hard to run his business. Be it good, or bad in your opinion, he does try.

That said, about a year has passed and I will try it again when they are up and running soon at the new better location.

Can't comment on this particular restaurant but we did come across Francesca Pizzeria last weekend, which is on the ring road, and close by. We thought the food was authentic and of excellent quality. Believe the owner, Luca, used to work at another Italian restaurant in CM and is well known. Small and cosy setting and I hope he does well.

Can't comment on this particular restaurant but we did come across Francesca Pizzeria last weekend, which is on the ring road, and close by. We thought the food was authentic and of excellent quality. Believe the owner, Luca, used to work at another Italian restaurant in CM and is well known. Small and cosy setting and I hope he does well.

Apologies that should have have read,of course, Canal Road

Talking about Italian restaurants, I had an excellent meal at Beccofino (Soi 7 Nimmahaemin Rd.). Real Italian food, excellently prepared and wonderful attentive, knowledgable and friendly service. One does pay for the pleasure (we shared an appetizer and pasta, each had an entree and a glass wine and mineral water and one espresso for 3000 bht before tip) but well worth it if your looking for fine dinning. Had a pizza last night at Dukes which was pretty good but the sauce is to chunky, more suitable for a pasta dish, which makes it a bit messy to eat. The Vegetable Lasagna there not only looked horrible but was just terrible, a large pile of tomato sauce with everything underneath a mussy mess with the pasta dissolving in my mouth. Also this week ordered pizza at Kelly's in Rimping Plaza, and we got whole wheat bread with a crust on top, and a light brushing of red sauce and cheese but not enough of either to taste. And finally also had pizza at Koh Lanta, pretty good! Also their pasta was excellent but all the portions were so small that we had to order more than one each. Not a great pizza eater so not sure what happened last week, guess I'm just a softy who can't so no to kids!!

Exactly where is this Francesca Pizzeria on the Canal Rd? After all it must be about 20km long!

Exactly where is this Francesca Pizzeria on the Canal Rd? After all it must be about 20km long!

Hang Dong Rd south to Big C.

Turn right/west. (pass Pizza n Pasta's new location 500m on left). Pass new Siwalee development and the ludicrous windmill.

Turn left/south on Canal.

Pass the market, Tesco Express and 7-11. Right hand bend.

Emperor 1 moo baan on right hand side, row of shops on left, Francesca's is on the end of the row on your left, large sign on edge of road. If you get to the row of shops on left with another 7-11 you have gone too far, so double back oppsite the entrance to Nai Fan 2.

Well worth a visit, go beyond the pizza and pasta to really enjoy Lucca's cooking.

Hang Dong Rd south to Big C.

Turn right/west. (pass Pizza n Pasta's new location 500m on left). Pass new Siwalee development and the ludicrous windmill.

Turn left/south on Canal.

Pass the market, Tesco Express and 7-11. Right hand bend.

Emperor 1 moo baan on right hand side, row of shops on left, Francesca's is on the end of the row on your left, large sign on edge of road. If you get to the row of shops on left with another 7-11 you have gone too far, so double back oppsite the entrance to Nai Fan 2.

Well worth a visit, go beyond the pizza and pasta to really enjoy Lucca's cooking.

OK thanks a lot. Closer to my house than the new address of Pizza n Pasta anyway.

But then again, this is Thailand and nothing surprises me much anymore.

Cheers to that. Logic does not apply. :ermm:

You mean you don't understand Thai logic.

Back in North America they use western logic. If you see a newly paved road it is a sure sign that they are going to be digging it up to put in various services. LOL

In response to the owners claim that he moved because they are going to bulldoze the corner where he was, thats nonsense. The canal road is already dual carriageway, and the left turn near his place is a dual carriageway already, with a filter lane onto it!!

My calculated guess is that he closed because he has virtually no customers due to the inadequacy of his food.

For those who accused me of unjustified criticism I will give you three examples.

1. I went there and ordered a burger and fries. When I got home, the burger bun was not a burger bun, it was a hard crusty thing which was as stale as could be, 3 or 4 days old, and the portion of fries consisted of the tiniest bag I have ever seen, literally no more than a dozen fries in there, and they were the very thin ones too like you get at McDonalds.

2. A friend went there and placed his order, bought a beer and waited....and waited...and waited. Despite many requests met with the usual Thai "coming soon, coming soon," he cancelled his take away order after 55 minutes ( not exaggerating) and went elsewhere.

3. A neighbour of mine ordered a takeaway pizza which took 75 minutes to arrive and we live 5 minutes from his place, when it arrived, the pizza had no cheese on it despite ordering a cheese and salami type pizza!! It was also lukewarm and had obviously been prepared but left hanging around for ages before delivery.

I called by to try to have a polite word with the owner, I was very very calm and I know he was there, I saw him, but my request for a word was met with a back door closing and a member of staff telling me he wasnt there which was a blatant lie!!

Getting back to the original point, reason for closure? Virtually no customers....I drive by there most evenings and make a point of looking in, and on most occasions, there were no customers at all. Always sorry to see a business fail, but in this case I m afraid he is the architect of his own failure.

For those who accused me of unjustified criticism I will give you three examples.

Thank you, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to the people who flamed you, it seems they were more approaching it from a general point of view of 'supporting the hard-working Farang business owner no matter what', as opposed to actual direct experience of the type you provided.

Clearly this was never a serious business, and anyone who as much as drove past occasionally would have seen that.

That the owner is now making up porkies on his reason to move is I think best taken as a bit of entertainment.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have ate there several times over the last few months and always found the food to be very good . Can't complain about the service either . Its the closest thing to pizza I have found here in Chiang Mai . Im sorry they have moved now it further for me to drive for my once a month splurge .......

I think that your main problem was more of having a bad location than anyone taking bad about you on ThaiVisa. I thought that your pizza was in the range where some people would like it and some people won't. Decent for Thailand no doubt, but not exceptional.

I would compare it with Paradise Pizza which is OK for Chiang Mai.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Slanderous and defamatory post removed and responses to that post etc etc. Look, you can say, I had a bad hamburger but you CANNOT come on here and defame someone in this manner, Do it again and you will be suspended for a nice healthy holiday.

I went there once and once was enough. Waited over an hour with a hungry 10 year old. Then the Pizza came, but not my burger with salad "and no bun or chips". What did come was a huge great plate of ribs. Now as I don't eat Pork .... they tried to persuade me to keep the ribs, by which time 90 minutes had passed from entering the restaurant. I found the staff rude and not helpful and the attitude of the owner was not at all considerate. If it had been my gig I would have bent over backwards to make amends but I was faced with a take it or leave it attitude. 1st time = last time. No thanks. Especially when there are so many good places to eat in Chiang Mai.

Edited by ianf

I've been on a pizza mission for the past eight years. If price is no object then "Coaches" is probably the best pizza in Chiang Mai. It costs the same as a pizza would cost in America and is not quite as good given their stinginess with the mozzarella, but is still better than every other place here. Second would probaly be The Dukes. It's far from the perfect pizza but it is very consistent in its quality, which few restaurants here can can claim. I'd place Pizza and Pasta at third (on a good day). They need to do more to make a more substantial sauce, provide more cheese, and stop being so skimpy on their toppings. Francesca's, Paradise Pizza, and that place in front of Ban Wang Tan whose name I've forgotten are all pretty similar and forgettable.

Edited by lannarebirth

I have been a regular customer at Pizza n' Pasta for 6 months from early October 2010 to the end of March 2011. Then I left for Europe where I live and work for 6 months of the year. I am coming back to Chiang Mai again in October this year and plan on eating at Pizza n' Pasta again once or twice a week for another 6 months just like I did last year. It is my favorite pizza-resturant in Chiang Mai. I have never waited for more than 20 minutes for my order. The resturant has never made a mistake with my order. They also have excellent fruit smoothies there in 3 different flavors. The only thing I am worried about with this resturant is that they will go out of business because it looks to me like they have too few customers to make much money...

It's strange that people have such different experiences with this resturant both when it comes to the food and the service. I find both to be excellent. I also like the owner who often comes by my table when I am there. (No, we're not childhood friends - I met him the first time in October 2010 the first time I tried out his resturant)

Edited by licentiapoetica