Japan 'Plans To Allow Visit' By Ex-Thai PM Thaksin

webfact

Japan 'plans to allow visit' by ex-Thai PM Thaksin

TOKYO, August 13, 2011 (AFP) - Japan plans to issue a special entry permit to former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who has been in exile following a military coup in 2006, a report said Friday.

The new Thai government of Yingluck Shinawatra, a younger sister of Thaksin, who took office on Monday, has requested the permit from Tokyo, Kyodo news agency reported, quoting Japanese government sources.

Thaksin, who served as Thai prime minister between 2001 and 2006 before being deposed in the coup, has been living in exile in Dubai to escape a two-year jail term from a corruption conviction.

Thaksin hopes to visit Japan August 22-28 with the main purpose of touring northeastern areas devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, Kyodo said.

Japan does not allow the entry of anyone who has been found guilty of a crime and given a jail term of more than one year but the justice minister can make exceptions.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told a news conference earlier in the day that Tokyo had received a request from Thaksin for the issuance of an entry permit.

"We must have thorough discussions with the Thai government on this matter," the top government spokesman said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-08-13

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan gets Thaksin visit plea

By THE NATION

30162663-01.jpg

Thai govt to be consulted; ex-PM might be issued a new passport

Convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is planning his first high-profile visit. He hopes to go to Japan, perhaps with a newly issued Thai passport after his younger sister Yingluck Shinawatra took office as prime minister.

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said yesterday that his government had received a request for the issuance of special permission for Thaksin's visit, according to the Kyodo news agency.

Japanese immigration-control law does not allow the entry of a person who has been found guilty of a crime and given a jail term of more than one year.

The law can make an exception, saying the justice minister can issue a special permit for a person if circumstances requiring his or her entry into Japan are recognised.

Thaksin was sentenced to two years of imprisonment for misconduct as he acknowledged purchasing land through his then-wife Pojaman na Pombejra.

The request for approval of Thaksin's visit was made by newly appointed Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul when he met with Japanese Ambassador Seiji Kojima on Thursday.

Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said his ministry was not aware of the meeting between the new minister and the Japanese ambassador as well as Thaksin's plan to visit Japan.

Surapong did not issue any instruction on the matter because he has not yet entered the ministry to give policy and direction to officials of the foreign service, Thani said.

The new minister was scheduled officially to begin his work at the ministry on Wednesday. Surapong declined to make any comment on the matter.

Edano said the Japanese government would consult with the new Thai government on Thaksin's visit. An official at the Thai Foreign Ministry said there would be no problem about Thaksin's visit.

To the contrary, the visit would be a good gesture for relations between the two governments, the official said.

Thaksin wants to visit Japan from August 22 to 28, during which time he intends to visit areas in Miyagi prefecture of northern Japan that were devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, Kyodo quoted Thaksin's Japanese supporters as saying. The former prime minister also hopes to hold a news conference and deliver a lecture.

Thaksin visited Japan previously in January 2007 for a special lecture on economics amid dissatisfaction among his enemies in Thailand, who then ruled the country after a military coup to oust him in September 2006.

Thaksin faced a lot of travelling difficulty during Abhisit Vejjajiva's administration, as he was banned from entering many countries, including the United Kingdom, Germany and Japan. His Thai passports - both a diplomatic one and an ordinary one - were revoked by Abhisit's government. Germany was the first country to lift Thaksin's ban shortly after the Pheu Thai Party won victory in last month's election.

Surapong is reportedly prepared to return his passports, allowing him to travel on his Thai name and with other Thai documents again.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani said he was not aware of the news report that his ministry was preparing to issue new Thai passports to the former prime minister.

The ministry's 2005 regulation on travel documents would not authorise officials to issue a passport to a person who is serving punishment for criminal charges or is freed on bail if the court, governing officials or police do not allow the person to have a passport.

In Tokyo meanwhile, the government said yesterday that it would discuss Thaksin's request for to visit Japan, according to the German news agency Deutsche Presse-Agentur.

On Thursday, Surapong asked Ambassador Kojima to facilitate Thaksin's trip to Japan, Kyodo News reported, citing unnamed sources.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-13

When I see the garbage printed in national newspaper, when I read the defamatory (and mostly dumb) comments posted in well known forums, it actually makes me happy.

Why ? Because it proves we have freedom of expression in Thailand.

I really look forward to have July 3 declared National Holiday, Back to Freedom Day, and maybe, who knows, one day land at Thaksin airport biggrin.gif

When I see the garbage printed in national newspaper, when I read the defamatory (and mostly dumb) comments posted in well known forums, it actually makes me happy.

I really look forward to have July 3 declared National Holiday, Back to Freedom Day, and maybe, who knows, one day land at Thaksin airport biggrin.gif

I would love to see all 3..............in Moldova. You being there would be the cream on the cake.

I would love to see all 3..............in Moldova. You being there would be the cream on the cake.

You know what annoy me most about your posts ?

Your avatar

LAVERDA has a positive image with me, you spoil it.

Could you chose something like MZ instead ?

Ahh yes, poetic justice. Or rather Oh Snap. Defeated PM Abhisit just had the Japanese government send a message of what they thought of him and his government. ;) Former PM Thaksin has been invited to Japan to share his knowledge and to inspire the people. :lol: How come former PM Abhisit was not invited? After all, former PM has such a vast experience as a politician. Oh wait, Mr. Thaksin was invited because he is an accomplished businessman and someone that has withstood adversity. The Thaksin haters must be beside themselves sputtering with fury. This is rather amusing.

Maybe, Razor Ramon will be invited to assist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wd4mav8REY&feature=related

Aww c'mon, who doesn't love Hard Gay? He's hilarious and an accomplished rassler!!!!!

Edited by geriatrickid

You must be right,Thaksin during his dictatorship was well know for his freedom of expression and freedom of press.You can ask Thongnark's widow for example,I'm sure she will fully agree with you. :whistling:

No reissuance of diplomatic passport to Thaksin: FM

image_20110813112542C1636639-9415-3C49-E052346C5301F588.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 13 - Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Towijakchaikul on Saturday reaffirmed the foreign ministry has not considered the reissue of a diplomatic passport to fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, as reported.

The new foreign minister added he has not investigated the feasibility of returning the diplomatic passport, or "red passport," to the former prime minister as he has yet to even started officially working at the ministry.

"I'm not prepared to return the red passport to Mr Thaksin but I will consider the case based on principles and fairness," stated Mr Surapong. "But if anything was implemented by the previous government for strictly political motives, this government will reinstitute good and fair traditions."

The foreign minister also revealed that the Japanese ambassador to Thailand, Seiji Kojima, met him Friday at Pheu Thai Party headquarters inquiring about the policies of the new government.

The Japanese envoy said that Japan's private sector has invited the deposed premier to visit areas devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami to which he had made donations and was scheduled to give a special lecture on trade, said Mr Surapong.

Kyodo news agency earlier quoted Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano that Tokyo had received a request from Thaksin for the issuance of an entry permit, as he hoped to visit Japan on August 22-28 with the main purpose of touring northeastern areas devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Mr Yukio however said, "We must have thorough discussions with the Thai government on this matter."

Japan does not allow for the entry of anyone who has been found guilty of a crime and given a jail term of more than one year, but the justice ministry can make exceptions, according to Kyodo.

"I told the Japanese diplomat that his government should consider Mr Thaksin's request with appropriateness," said Surapong.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, the youngest sister of the ousted ex-premier, reasserted on Saturday that her government has no policy to return the red passport to her self-exiled brother.

Ms Yingluck said a consideration to reissue the passport to Mr Thaksin should be made under the foreign ministry's regulations and procedures, with fair treatment for everyone.

"I will not be involved in [the passport reissuance] issue because this is a matter that concerns officials and the foreign ministry," said the premier. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-08-13

You must be right,Thaksin during his dictatorship was well know for his freedom of expression and freedom of press.You can ask Thongnark's widow for example,I'm sure she will fully agree with you. :whistling:

Do you realize the fact you can post this proves me right ?

But everybody knows that this was a political trial of coure. If people should be blocked from entering any other country it should be the men and women who ordered to shoot on unarmed protestors and coup takers.

Only after a suitable political-trial, to find them guilty, must keep-up the illusion of working-within-the-law ! ;)B)

But everybody knows that this was a political trial of coure.

Funnily enough, this is the same lame excuse Thaksin always uses. Don't think i have ever heard him protest his innocence or deny wrong-doing.

Shouldn't be forgotten that he was tried under his own proxy government, that he promised to respect the court's verdict and last but not least, that he attempted to bribe the judges.

Your avatar

Agree ... I don't think Laverda is happy having this dude as a fan...maybe Trabant ... no that would be an insult to that brand too .. anyway hope he will get over all his obsessions and anger but I doubt it .

Can you please give reference to where it says Thaksin was invited to Japan? And how can a self-indulgent crook wrong-doer inspire people to do anything except that which he knows and that is to do wrong for personal gain. Please also give reference to where Thaksin did anything philanthropical using his own personal funds.

Ahh yes, poetic justice. Or rather Oh Snap. Defeated PM Abhisit just had the Japanese government send a message of what they thought of him and his government. ;) Former PM Thaksin has been invited to Japan to share his knowledge and to inspire the people. :lol: How come former PM Abhisit was not invited? After all, former PM has such a vast experience as a politician. Oh wait, Mr. Thaksin was invited because he is an accomplished businessman and someone that has withstood adversity. The Thaksin haters must be beside themselves sputtering with fury. This is rather amusing.

I agree completely. And by the way Thailand has many area where you can not speak freely. Royalty in one, but there are many more.

What's up with this headline "Japan 'plans to allow visit' by ex-Thai PM Thaksin"?

All they did was receive a request and the response was "Mr Yukio however said, "We must have thorough discussions with the Thai government on this matter."

No one said "plans to allow" It looks to me like Thaksin is trying to downgrade his international status as a terrorist and criminal by being accepted in a country that forbids convicted criminals from entering the country. Smart but tacky where only the ignorant will have this go over their heads. Why does he want to tour the damaged areas anyway? He doesn't, he wants to step foot in Japan and show that he's not all that bad because he was allowed to do so.

Now how in the heck does this do anything for foreign relations between Thailand and Japan? it only does if the foreign minister is a Thaksin crony. :bah:

Aww c'mon, who doesn't love Hard Gay? He's hilarious and an accomplished rassler!!!!!

I told you that sycophancy will send you blind! Your post is completely the reverse of the OP. Note the difference:

YOU SAID OP SAID

Former PM Thaksin has been invited to Japan.............. Thaksin hopes to visit Japan

Mr. Thaksin was invited............... The request for approval of Thaksin's visit was made by FM Surapong

In fact, to improve his image, the criminal fugitive had his lapdog "Renfield" surapong make the request without the knowledge of the Ministry - he has not even entered the building as of yet. The Japanese FM is being diplomatic to the newly appointed Thai PM (did she know?) and govt and offered to "consider" the application.

Edited by OzMick

Your avatar

Yeah, the world is full of wannabes and wish-I-hads. As 20 year owner of 3C(E) #1492, I'll keep my avatar thanks.

That is because Thaksin isn't back yet. So any freedom you see now a residual effects of the previous government. But strangely all reds always claim there is no freedom of expression - time to make up your mind regarding these talking-points?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wd4mav8REY&feature=related

It would be hilarious to see Thaksin arrive in Japan to get greeted by Mr. Hard Gay. I try to imagine how he would react. We would probably learn something new about Thaksin.

Poetic justice? Amusing?

The article says k. Thaksin was invited by members of the private sector, not the Japanese government. It mentions "visiting Tsunami hits areas to which he had made donations" and a lecture on trade at an education institution.

Depending on how cynical one wants to be, one might even say k. Thaksin has possibly bought his way back into Japan. :ermm:

Edited by rubl

Democrat urges MFA to explain its return of Thaksin’s passport

BANGKOK, 13 August 2011 (NNT) – The Democrat Party has called for clarifications from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs regarding its plan to return former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra his Thai passport.

In his capacity as former Secretary to the Foreign Minister, Democrat Party Spokesperson Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said relevant officials had been instructed to look into the report that the Foreign Ministry was considering giving back Mr Thaksin his passport. For now, he refused to express his personal opinion on the matter as no details had been received.

After red-shirt protesters successfully prevented the ASEAN Summit from being held in Pattaya in 2009 upon the command of Mr Thaksin, then-Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya ordered cancellation of the ex-premier’s passport in a bid to keep him from causing further damages on the nation.

Therefore, Mr Chavanond insisted that if incumbent Foreign Minister Surapong Towichakchaikul decided to annul his predecessor’s order and allow Mr Thaksin to use his Thai passport again, he would need to have a good explanation.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-13 footer_n.gif

[

snapback.pngJurgenG, on Today, 09:29 , said:

Tawp

That is because Thaksin isn't back yet. So any freedom you see now a residual effects of the previous government. But strangely all reds always claim there is no freedom of expression - time to make up your mind regarding these talking-points? [/b]

Possibly this is how Jurgen views freedom as it was in Bangkok and Dresden in 2010,

Bringing back fond memories of days gone by perchance Jurgen?

9b1b67c04606b2c2af5f3ce6f813.jpeg

Edited by metisdead
Posting in all capitals or in all bold, and using large or unusual fonts and colors is bad netiquette.