What'S On That Island?

Hi guys!

This morning I went on kayaks with my friends from the west side of Koh Phangan. Behind Koh Tae Nai there is one more island, it's about 40 minutes way from Koh Tae Nai on a kayak. When we got close (around 100-200m), we heard Thai voices from the island. They sounded like they were telling us something, but since they were telling it in Thai, we had no chance to understand that. And when we got closer, they made a shot into the air. A real shot from a real gun. After that we turned around and went back.

Does anybody know, what is on that island? Why are there armed guardians, not allowing to get close?

Here it is on the google map: http://maps.google.r...021136&t=h&z=16

Don't know its name.

PS: felt myself like I'm in The Beach movie. :D

Edited by RomanVinogradov

Ko tae nok, is occupied by armed birds nest farmers. That's what I heard, hard to believe tho' . Seeing as there are many swift nest farms on the mainland next to the road in Surat province without any armed guards.

The island appears to have some wonderful sandy deserted beaches as well. People go to check them out and get shot at, strange.

It would be wise to stay away from Koh Tae Nok - there are valuable edible bird nests on its cliffs and caves which are protected (and harvested) by Thais, supposedly armed with automatic weapons.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if back in the early 90's Alex Garland used this small secluded island as the basis for his novel "The Beach".

Edited by Jose

So the official story is that it's birds' nests farmers. Interesting.. Thanks for info :)

There's also three Island south of Samui that are "protected" by the owners, (The three sisters).

Although they allow paying visitors.

Right, they are farmers:

LEGANERD_040513.jpg

If we're all getting in character I'll huv tae be Daffy....I wonder who sbk will be playing...? whistling.gif

As for you anguid....got you down for a lotta fishin'....

field of dreams

Its anguid's back garden. "Well I can't get the basil to grow so well...." biggrin.gif

... it wouldn't surprise me at all if back in the early 90's Alex Garland used this small secluded island as the basis for his novel "The Beach".

I think your right,

I recall they used several small islands around phangan for location shoots,

someone call the expendables and tell them that a wealthy and domineering politician has a stranglehold on the local population, but his beautiful daughter is leading the fight to have him removed and peace restored. only problem is that she's been kidnapped and held in a dungeon on that island to be reprogrammed and neutralized.

we'll find out what's on that island soon enough...

... it wouldn't surprise me at all if back in the early 90's Alex Garland used this small secluded island as the basis for his novel "The Beach".

I think your right,

No they shot it in Phi Phi.

on Phi Phi Leh. That could be to keep others away from the actually beach with a handfull of young people there, who are maybe playing frisbee at the moment, while our sorts are sitting in front of another beach with a laptop at the moment

I think your right,

No they shot it in Phi Phi.

Filming locations for The Beach:

Bangkok, Thailand

Khao Yai National Park, Thailand

Krabi, Thailand

London, England, UK

Phi Phi Leh Island, Thailand

Phuket, Thailand

Thanon Khao San, Talad Yot, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand

http://www.imdb.com/...63978/locations