Another "Rip Off" Restaurant

mhortig

I am forbidden from going to the local markets with my wife for food shopping. If I do go I must wait in the car or walk 30 paces behind because she says when I have been with her the prices suddenly increase.

OMG you couldn't write the script! cheesy.gif

You must be really enjoying yourself here - getting involved with the locals......the freedom to explore new things etc.

A little satire my friend, I can actually walk 20 paces behind. :jap: 15 paces if I am carrying the wallet.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be really enjoying yourself here - getting involved with the locals......the freedom to explore new things etc.

Well, just denying the sistematic rip off of foreigners is not going to help the OP much, isn'it?

He's lucky enough to be able to see where the problems are and found a way to get what he want for the price everybody else are getting, which is just fair, does anyone want to make compulsory for foreigners to get ripped off?

The usual comment " if you were not here than it would be no problems" didn't appear yet :lol:

As an adult - if I had to live in a country where I couldn't at least go to the local market by myself, be instructed to wait in the car or walk 30 paces behind someone (is it exactly 30?).........I'd go home.

I do know that a lot of Thai g/f like the farang to wait behind so he can't see that what he thought was bought by her 'for a bargain 60 Baht', was actually bought for 40 Baht. wink.gif

Even in my early days here - I can't recall being really ripped off in a local fruit and veg market. If I was, it was negligible, like rounding off 38 to 40 Baht. But once you've been a few times even that stops and I always make a point of taking the change, otherwise you are encouraging higher prices.

I agree but when you have a Thai wife and there is a chance that a local will raise the price a few baht because she has a farang puppy on the leash, then the wife will say heal boy, siiiiiiiiiiiit good dog.:D

Well, just denying the sistematic rip off of foreigners is not going to help the OP much, isn'it?

He's lucky enough to be able to see where the problems are and found a way to get what he want for the price everybody else are getting, which is just fair, does anyone want to make compulsory for foreigners to get ripped off?

The usual comment " if you were not here than it would be no problems" didn't appear yet :lol:

As an adult - if I had to live in a country where I couldn't at least go to the local market by myself, be instructed to wait in the car or walk 30 paces behind someone (is it exactly 30?).........I'd go home.

I do know that a lot of Thai g/f like the farang to wait behind so he can't see that what he thought was bought by her 'for a bargain 60 Baht', was actually bought for 40 Baht. wink.gif

Even in my early days here - I can't recall being really ripped off in a local fruit and veg market. If I was, it was negligible, like rounding off 38 to 40 Baht. But once you've been a few times even that stops and I always make a point of taking the change, otherwise you are encouraging higher prices.

I agree but when you have a Thai wife and there is a chance that a local will raise the price a few baht because she has a farang puppy on the leash, then the wife will say heal boy, siiiiiiiiiiiit good dog.:D

I have a Thai wife and I can bargain for myself. The day I feel like a puppy on a leash, will be my cue to move on.

What people seem to be saying is they don't really mind taking a chance and 'getting ripped off'......they are just terrified of their wives? laugh.gif

Theirs this Thai veggie restaurant that I go to at least 2-3 times a week as the food is great but when I first started going she would charge me 10 baht for a bag of steamed rice, which I thought was maybe a bit overpriced as alot of the main dishes were only 15-25baht, but whatever.

Paying the 10baht conitued for a few months until one day they get a menu put up on the wall only in Thai and the rice is 5baht a bag. I was stood reading the menu and she noticed that I could read Thai and looked slighty worried that I've probably just figured out she's been overcharging me on a couple of small things (I had to laugh as it was only 1-5 baht increase so I don't really mind, I'm sure they need the 1 bahts more than me) and then when I come to order some rice she stumbles over her words as she asks if I want my usual 'special' 10 baht bag of rice, to which I say yes. She then proceeds to give me the biggest bag of rice I've ever seen :D, not being any to possible squeeze anymore into the bag. I now get a pretty good deal I reckon

Edited by ha55ha

Theirs this Thai veggie restaurant that I go to at least 2-3 times a week as the food is great but when I first started going she would charge me 10 baht for a bag of steamed rice, which I thought was maybe a bit overpriced as alot of the main dishes were only 15-25baht, but whatever.

Paying the 10baht conitued for a few months until one day they get a menu put up on the wall only in Thai and the rice is 5baht a bag. I was stood reading the menu and she noticed that I could read Thai and looked slighty worried that I've probably just figured out she's been overcharging me on a couple of small things (I had to laugh as it was only 1-5 baht increase so I don't really mind, I'm sure they need the 1 bahts more than me) and then when I come to order some rice she stumbles over her words as she asks if I want my usual 'special' 10 baht bag of rice, to which I say yes. She then proceeds to give me the biggest bag of rice I've ever seen :D, not being any to possible squeeze anymore into the bag. I now get a pretty good deal I reckon

I now get a pretty good deal I reckon

Yes. Now you pay the same as everyone else. :)

No, now he's obliged to purchase at least twice what any locals can buy, no 5 Bahts option for him i am afraid :lol:

One of the local laudry here where i live, would pull up the price for the same items any time i would take something there, for example, the first time 1 shirt would cost 10 Bahts, the second time they would charge me 15 Bahts, then 20, 25, etc...needless to say, i changed laundry and now i get the same rate everytime, what's wrong with these people?

No, now he's obliged to purchase at least twice what any locals can buy, no 5 Bahts option for him i am afraid :lol:

One of the local laudry here where i live, would pull up the price for the same items any time i would take something there, for example, the first time 1 shirt would cost 10 Bahts, the second time they would charge me 15 Bahts, then 20, 25, etc...needless to say, i changed laundry and now i get the same rate everytime, what's wrong with these people?

Yep! Forced to buy two portions every time, darned clever those Thai restaurant owners. wink.gif

Much of Thai thinking is in the here and now, get what I can now.......there's little thought for what tomorrow brings i.e. lost custom.

I've found that to be quite common too - that when you're a repeat customer that instead of receiving a discount for your patronage that instead prices get constantly ratcheted up until it gets to the point of being obviously absurd. I've had that happen at several tailors, laundries, and Thai run restaurants.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I've found that to be quite common too - that where you're a repeat customer that instead of offering you discounts that instead constantly ratchet up their prices until it gets to the point of being obviously absurd. I've had that happen at several tailors, laundries, and Thai run restaurants.

This practice is applied in more than a way, as when you try to buy a box containing many items of the same kind....and then you find out that buying them one by one instead of in bulk is going to cost you less money :cheesy:

I hate it too but once I'm deliberately ripped off somewhere I never return, upon principle and self respect. I'm only happy to find somewhere else to give my business too, if they care or not.

Unfortunately dual pricing is a fact of life in Thailand. A lot of Thais see farangs as dripping in money, it just falls off them. I am forbidden from going to the local markets with my wife for food shopping. If I do go I must wait in the car or walk 30 paces behind because she says when I have been with her the prices suddenly increase.

What a horrible way to live!

I hate it too but once I'm deliberately ripped off somewhere I never return, upon principle and self respect. I'm only happy to find somewhere else to give my business too, if they care or not.

Unfortunately dual pricing is a fact of life in Thailand. A lot of Thais see farangs as dripping in money, it just falls off them. I am forbidden from going to the local markets with my wife for food shopping. If I do go I must wait in the car or walk 30 paces behind because she says when I have been with her the prices suddenly increase.

What a horrible way to live!

I think he must be joking - no man would put up with that!

It's humiliating and sad, because he's obviously being forced to miss out on a lot of experiences (good and bad), which are essential to life.

Edited by uptheos

I've found that to be quite common too - that where you're a repeat customer that instead of offering you discounts that instead constantly ratchet up their prices until it gets to the point of being obviously absurd. I've had that happen at several tailors, laundries, and Thai run restaurants.

This practice is applied in more than a way, as when you try to buy a box containing many items of the same kind....and then you find out that buying them one by one instead of in bulk is going to cost you less money :cheesy:

Just wandering around pricing various massage options in Nimmanheiman area...in every case the price quoted for 90 minutes has been more than half as much again as the hourly rate!

The waitresses in most low-end restaurants are uneducated immigrants whose first language isn't Thai. In my experience when asked a question in Thai, they give contradictory responses. I think this was possibly a contributing factor to the problem.

In addition, quite a few foreigners are married to women from the NE, a hill-tribe or Burma. They may not be able to communicate in the local Thai dialect or even central Thai effectively. It's not clear if this isn't the case in the OP.

I always eat at the Inter Inn hotel in the reception hall. The lady who cooks is a big jolly person called Da and who does wonderful food at very cheap prices. She does it all on her own from what I have seen. Farang or Thai we all get the same. Da looks like an Isan lady and I often say "Up to you" when she asks what I want. Always a well presented dish and when she laughs it makes you laugh too.

Why do you blame the restaurant? Seems like your wife is one of the main problems here. Did she have a mis-communication with the server? Why didn't she explain this price discrepancy to the owner?

BTW, What kind of lunch did you get? Was it a 40B lunch or a 79B lunch? Considering the location etc, did you actually overpay or is it possible you still got a fair deal?

Also, to all the posters worried about being taken because we are foreigners, he has a Thai wife! There is no way in Hell that my wife will let anyone overcharge me, why would his wife allow it? I don't believe that this is due to him being "white", it was a mis-communication.

So what he has a Thai wife .If anything that makes the con worse as it is more blatent. How long have you been here ? Thais dont do confrontation .

If I was a conman I would activley search out people like you & make them victims .

Try telling that to Mrs Changers if she thinks I/We are being ripped off. She is a big soft puppy normally but when she thinks they are trying it on she becomes an angry pit bull. We live and work on Thai wages and she has put a lot of market traders in their place. Not all Thais are conmen and not all Thai ladies are bar girls. Mrs Changers could stare down any football hooligan x

thailand is all about trying to reap off the( tourist) white man or falang.whether it is tuk tuks or taxis.restaurants are no different.you always have to be careful.plenty of food places you can go if you feel you are cheated

Tuk Tuks don't rip you off - they ask a stupid fare and then it's down to bargaining - you then know it before you set off and there's no tipping. In my experience, provided your journey isn't complicated, Tuk Tuk drivers rarely refuse money and you can get bargains.

Like everything else you can walk away.

And always smile as you say Mai Krap. They know the score as do we. Always nice to be nice.

My point is easy to understand. Just check the number of posts and comments posted on topics raised here.

I see you are flying around the forum now with your 'cheap charlie' act. It's also called trolling and best consider giving it a rest.

It seems the life of too many cheap people on this website revolves around going out to eat cheap at cheap restaurants.

MapGuy, i think you don't see the real value of this kind of conversations or maybe you are just making confusion.

You are in a position to not care about those small amounts of money, many of us are in a position to just do the same choice if we wish, but some people it's been less lucky in life and might not be able to just stand against this bad practice, these people might need those little amounts probably much more than those sellers, but can't complaint, so, you, me, everyone that have a chance to do it, have to!

Don't think just about yourself and your own particular situation, expand your views and understandings on how this world is working, if someone is really in need, then there are many ways to find some help, cheating your friends/customers or whoever else is giving you their trust, definetely it's not the right way to go and in being condescending you become a "passive" accomplice of them and their con.

So, if your intentions were genuinely a generosity act rather than anything else, you might want to re-think on what channels those little tips should follow, this world is already corrupted to the bones and doesn't really need any further help, either intended or not as that, hope you get my point, cheers.

... I've been cheated for a few baht at other places where the guy right next to me has exactly the same thing as me, he pays 15 baht and I'm charged 20. I will never return to such a place...

Oh the inhumanity, cheated a few baht,

It could never have been an honest or simple communication or math error.

Better to lambaste and attack their little noodle shop on-line and protect others from this horrible injustice.

It's the principle ...., yeah, sure it is, the perennial refrain of the cheap charlie.

Can we start a sub-forum, "All Things Cheap Charlie", where the pathologically frugal, the under-funded pensioner, and the plain cheap can share warnings, methods and locations of these evil vendors, out to extract an extra few baht from the farang.

I'm compelled to over-tip to compensate for the Charlies, in an effort to let said vendors know that there are a few generous and well tipping farangs that appreciate their effort, service and product, arriving and leaving with a smile, not mumbling under our breath that we may have been cheated out of a few baht.

Cheap Charlies: Retort line now open:

(Note: The "it's the principle of it" argument void)

:whistling:B)

Edited by cobra

... I've been cheated for a few baht at other places where the guy right next to me has exactly the same thing as me, he pays 15 baht and I'm charged 20. I will never return to such a place...

Well, look at this way : 5baht = £0.101276 or $0.167056 and those are really big numbers.

Well, look at this way : 5baht = £0.101276 or $0.167056 and those are really big numbers.

;)

My lovely Thai GF is good w/business but when it comes to bargaining esp. w/an older Thai women she will just agree to any price even before considering it. Guess it the old respect to elders and not wanting to confront them and make them lose face. But when they raise the price to give us less, as recently happened with a custom ordered bookcase charging us 3000 bht more for 1 cm thick wood that they changed from 3 cm because they did'nt have them, I had to say no, so it takes teamwork, as in any relationship and the mix of Thai and Western cultures can work together (like she won't let me get upset at ppl. trying to rip us off) for positive results.

Better to lambaste and attack their little noodle shop on-line and protect others from this horrible injustice.

It's the principle ...., yeah, sure it is, the perennial refrain of the cheap charlie.

Can we start a sub-forum, "All Things Cheap Charlie", where the pathologically frugal, the under-funded pensioner, and the plain cheap can share warnings, methods and locations of these evil vendors, out to extract an extra few baht from the farang.

I'm compelled to over-tip to compensate for the Charlies, in an effort to let said vendors know that there are a few generous and well tipping farangs that appreciate their effort, service and product, arriving and leaving with a smile, not mumbling under our breath that we may have been cheated out of a few baht.

Cheap Charlies: Retort line now open:

(Note: The "it's the principle of it" argument void)

:whistling:B)

So, you and few others here doesn't really like the idea of having some ethic/principle in your life eh?

Bragging off about how you can throw away your money it looks much better isn'it? uhhh what a big man you are, great!

Being dumb, thick or just plain evil wouldn't excuse any of you guys, sorry to tell you that but someone has to, remember, it's never too late to start doing some goods in your life....

Bragging off about how you can throw away your money it looks much better isn'it? uhhh what a big man you are, great!

Don't take the bait mate.

You must have realised by now, that those who feel the need to say they leave big tips probably don't have a pot to piss in. They have a need to feel they have some redeeming qualities and by writing on here that they are 'big spenders', probably helps them in some small way. IMO the people who say nothing about tipping are probably the most generous......and they know who they are and have no need to advertise it in order to try and get a bit of self esteem......sad.sad.gif

Edited by uptheos