Desk Top Pc - Bringing Back To Thai

wlawes

Hi, I am planning to order a PC desktop from the USA which will be shipped to my address in Canada, its a DAW, specially designed for music production, the components of which cannot all be bought here. I plan to buy one of those 'graphite' hard cased suitcases at MBK and carry it back with me. Will there be any problems?

I would ship it direct to Bkk but it costs 500US for the shipping, also getting a laptop and Sound interface (which is only 200US for all three units). I expect to have no problem with the laptop and interface, but a whole Desktop, would seem to me, to maybe be a problem?

Thx!

Looking around google a DAW does not appear to be anything more than a generic PC, I would pop the side off the box and either remove the sound card or pack it with newspaper of something to ensure it does not come loose and get damaged during transit.

Edited by Spoonman

Per Spoonman, I also did Google and just a he wrote, easy to build one here. Just get the critical audio card and any needed interface connectors in USA, easy packing in suitcase; rest available here.

Top quality computer build would be about 25-30k baht; the special audio card/s would be extra.

Take a look at: http://www.ehow.com/how_4850862_build-powerful-daw-computer.html

I've come in with all sorts of electronics stuff and never had a problem. I take it out of the original packaging just in case. One trip, I had a very large impedance matching speaker selector switch. The guy at the scanner asked if it was a stereo...I said yes...and was allowed to go on through. Every trip, we come back with 6 suitcases full of stuff. Some stuff is just cheaper back home...and easier to get!

In December 2010, and then again in January 2011, I essentially returned with the components for two (2) PCs: Motherboards (2) , CPUs (2), CPU coolers (2), memory (16 GB), graphics cards (2), power supplies (2), Win7/64 OEM (2), HDDs (6x). (I bought the cases here.) Some double-packed in 16" cube, then 18" cube (checked), most in carry-on. Sometimes they have you plop a box or bag on the x-ray machine in the "Green" lane. Have not experienced any issues. Have also brought back new mobile phones, PSPs, Wii, iPods, notebooks, cosmetics, perfumes, clothing (new) and a vast number of specialty food and household items. I'm always a bit worried, but so far no issues. I think those folks with the 32 bags (suitcase importers) probably get flagged though, although they Thai people who do this for a living, and rack up FF miles by the boatload, slip by.

I left most items in their original packaging save Win7/CPU/Mem.

For carry-on items be prepared to deal with TSA; sometimes they swab an item but they've seen it all by now and I have not had any issues.

IME, Newegg is the best source for most gear. No sales tax, free shipping (on most items) and many, many , many sales, promotions and rebates. Easy to save 25 % - 33% on items if you watch the items daily and subscribe to their blast emails.

I go back/forth ~ 6 times each year.

FWIW, there have been a couple dozen similar threads on this topic here over the years. I honestly don't recall any issues specifically PC components/U.S.A./BKK. But maybe have a look through for your own peace of mind.

Edited by lomatopo

great to hear thx very much! I'm ordering from 'ADK' in the states, they can ship me everything (desk top, laptop, sound interface) for about 200US to Canada. Then I will bring it back. A lot cheaper, saving on shipping and the mark up they put on all that stuff here. Even if I did ship it here it would be cheaper than buying from here.

But yeah some of the stuff, maybe most of it can be had here, two big issues are 'silent' fans and Texas Instruments onboard firwire chipset. Very finicky stuff so have to be careful what you throw together for music (using cubase with heavy sampling) , ADK is pretty good at that.

Thanks again!