Best Economical Car To Purchase In Thailand

toenail

I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and have a driver that picks me up for work. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a small, economical (a nice way saying cheap) car to get around in. If I want to go to places like Chang Mai or Phuket, I would just fly. I don't have the patience to do my "homework" on what is the best car for the "best" price, but I realize Nissan, Proton, and a couple other car makers are selling decent, small economical cars. I am single, so I do not need a lot of space in the back and I want something that is easy to take to the garage for maintenance. Also, do any of the auto dealerships have a good "payment plan" with low interest?. I realize there will be different answers from the forum readers, but all of your suggestions would help. Thanks.

Edited by toenail

If you want to be different maybe a new Suzuki Swift or even the SX4, very good reports..

best deals Ford or Chevrolet.

If you want economical to run then the Chevrolet Aveo NGV as gas [NGV/CNG] cost 8.5 baht per liter. about 600k for the Automatic

A Base model in Automatic Ford Fiesta is around 650k

A Base model in Automatic Chevrolet Aveo is around 550k

The top model CVT/Auto Honda Brio is around 500k... Base model manual is under 400k, the same price as the Proton Savvy, think the Honda will hold it value much more then a Proton. same sort of price for the Chery QQ or new model Chery A1

The Nissan March is 20k cheaper for the manual base model.. The top model CVT/Auto is 30k more than the Honda

The Mazda 2 base model at 570k out the door is a good choice. Price includes insurance. Many of the same parts and the same body on the Ford Fiesta. I know Honda and Nissan (probably Toyota) have been having a hard time supplying cars. I don't think you'll be seeing the Brio soon. There was a six month wait on the Jazz.

I think the out the door price on the Brio will be closer to the Mazda 2 with the extras like insurance, registration, floor mats etc. Mazda isn't perfect but good value.

Edited by Pinot

Maybe also consider a used car, but be extremely careful many pitfalls.

I bought a second hand City 06, checked service history at Honda dealer before buying, all seems to be OK so I bought it and never had any problems with it. I saved app. 200K bath compared to a new.

If you want to be different maybe a new Suzuki Swift or even the SX4, very good reports..

If you want economical to run then the Chevrolet Aveo NGV as gas [NGV/CNG] cost 8.5 baht per liter. about 600k for the Automatic

The top model CVT/Auto Honda Brio is around 500k... Base model manual is under 400k, the same price as the Proton Savvy, think the Honda will hold it value much more then a Proton. same sort of price for the Chery QQ or new model Chery A1

The Nissan March is 20k cheaper for the manual base model.. The top model CVT/Auto is 30k more than the Honda

Honda Brio base at 399k would IMHO be best value car in Thailand. 2 airbags,abs/ebd. But they dont make them yet. They make a better equipped 470k model and 509k baht auto.

509k baht you are very close to Honda City auto at 574k baht

Nissan March at 380k baht is cheap, and low spec

Proton Savvy at 399k baht, also comes as sedan/saloon. Noticed a sign with 0% interest over 84 months

The Mazda 2 base model at 570k out the door is a good choice. Price includes insurance. Many of the same parts and the same body on the Ford Fiesta. I know Honda and Nissan (probably Toyota) have been having a hard time supplying cars. I don't think you'll be seeing the Brio soon. There was a six month wait on the Jazz.

I think the out the door price on the Brio will be closer to the Mazda 2 with the extras like insurance, registration, floor mats etc. Mazda isn't perfect but good value.

Have seen a few Honda Brio driving about, also last week stuck in traffic noticed they had them in Honda showroom + many adverts on TV every day.

Have seen a few Honda Brio driving about, also last week stuck in traffic noticed they had them in Honda showroom + many adverts on TV every day.

The manual brio is available, but there is a bit of a wait for the auto version. I test drove the auto and its not a bad drive. I'easily managed 19.4 km/l gunning it around Nonthaburi. There is a video on youtube of the manual brio doing 0-100 in about 12 seconds, reaching 145 km/h (the top speed is locked on the brio). I'm considering the manual version, but it seems they don't throw in many freebies on this car.

Brios all over Phuket, 470k and 509k baht cars

5 x 470car in white available on the spot few weeks ago

That's spot on. Chevrolet do all their finance through Tisco Bank and often offer low or no interest. Going for a factory fitted CNG car is the way to go for economy and makes a mockery of Eco cars.

A small car averages 14km/l, so with 91 at 35.24baht, you spend 2.52Baht per km, or 50,343baht over 20,000km.

An Eco car achieves 20km/l, so you spend 1.76b/km or 35.240b over 20,000km.

A CNG car gets 13km/kg but it's only 8.5b/kg so 0.65b/km and 13,077baht over 20,000km.

Hey presto! Instead of buying a small car just because you want to save fuel, you could buy an Aveo CNG and have more space, a noticeably more comfortable ride and still have more trunk space. Even factoring in the inevitable further expense of maintaining the gas system over 5-10years, you save heaps and help the environment a bit with lower emissions. The downside is that the Aveo is ugly, with not great build quality and you will be looked upon as weird by Thais for choosing anything other than Toyota or Honda. If you can put up with this, you stand to save back almost a third of the Aveo's sticker price over the first 100,000km.

That's spot on. Chevrolet do all their finance through Tisco Bank and often offer low or no interest. Going for a factory fitted CNG car is the way to go for economy and makes a mockery of Eco cars.

A small car averages 14km/l, so with 91 at 35.24baht, you spend 2.52Baht per km, or 50,343baht over 20,000km.

A CNG car gets 13km/kg but it's only 8.5b/kg so 0.65b/km and 13,077baht over 20,000km.

Hey presto! Instead of buying a small car just because you want to save fuel, you could buy an Aveo CNG and have more space, a noticeably more comfortable ride and still have more trunk space. Even factoring in the inevitable further expense of maintaining the gas system over 5-10years, you save heaps and help the environment a bit with lower emissions. The downside is that the Aveo is ugly, with not great build quality and you will be looked upon as weird by Thais for choosing anything other than Toyota or Honda. If you can put up with this, you stand to save back almost a third of the Aveo's sticker price over the first 100,000km.

NGV you also need to consider the hours long ques to get CNG, and the driving distance to a CNG pump

Chevrolet does not do all financing in Tisco, a substantial amount is in Tanachart

and finally, Aveo is a small car, interior on par with Brio and March, what is left of the trunk too

also consider resale, as half the country does not have access to CNG

You might consider a car with CNG..... I drove to Phayao from Chaing Mai with a few stops along the way and filled up there for 134 baht. I refilled in Phayao and made several drives through the city, and refilled on the way home in Doi Saket for 102 baht.

It is true that there are long queues to get CNG during early evening hours on the weekends , but if you go at off-peak hours there usually is not a wait.

Using your figures it would take at least 5 years to recover the extra 100K spend on the auto aveo compared to the 500K eco car. Only after 5 years is it financially more viable to run on cng (at the current prices). Then after 5 years there is also the resale consideration - the eco car will lose less in total value than the aveo (of course, as it cost more in the first place); for percentages it's hard to tell at this time.

Maybe also consider a used car, but be extremely careful many pitfalls.

I bought a second hand City 06, checked service history at Honda dealer before buying, all seems to be OK so I bought it and never had any problems with it. I saved app. 200K bath compared to a new.

Best reply so far in context with the O.P.s question.:D

P. Now that I think of it, just get the BRIO.

Done. THe End.

Last time I was at the Honda dealer I took some pics.

THis is you

7752e033.jpg

78f960ab.jpg

42cff977.jpg

inside.jpg

It's a done deal. Go get it.

But if you buy the BRIO you have to have that HIDEOUS tan interior trim....bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

But if you buy the BRIO you have to have that HIDEOUS tan interior trim....bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Better then gloomy Black, or the that matter the old M.B which all seamed to be blue leather, or the old Toyota Crown which most had dark red velvet which turned redye pink over time.

if no other option it is cheap here to recover all in what ever colour leather you want.

Better then gloomy Black, or the that matter the old M.B which all seamed to be blue leather, or the old Toyota Crown which most had dark red velvet which turned redye pink over time.

if no other option it is cheap here to recover all in what ever colour leather you want.

but Brios tan glove box really looks silly

It's not so much the seats that are the problem it's more the huge slabs of tan plastic and the horrible chocolate (shit) colour near the steering wheel and on the doors. Difficult to do much about that.

Brio is a "A" class car March is a bigger "B" class car like Yaris and Jazz

I have a March and love it. I placed a deposit on a Brio and when it arrived the interior Fit and finish was bad as well as all the poor plastics like the arm rest.

I canceled the order and place a deposit on a second March. I get 20 kpl on the road and 14 in the city Several trips south and back and was very happy (enough to order a second one)

A few things no one mentioned, March will have a sedan in October, Mitsubishi will have the eco car colt soon (Marcch 2012) and it is said it will get nearly 24 kpl At that time Suzuki will also be out with their eco swift.

If you were to keep it long term, go new. all you pay is the gas. And insurance. everything else the dealer take car of free

but Brios tan glove box really looks silly

Carbon fibre that and also that brown dash surround. Just saw a brio with bride seats put into it with a cf hood.