50 teens arrested for violating Philadelphia's curfew

News_Editor

50 teens arrested for violating Philadelphia's curfew

2011-08-14 10:40:19 GMT+7 (ICT)

PHILADELPHIA (BNO NEWS) -- Around 50 teenagers have been arrested for violating Philadelphia's new curfew which took effect on Friday night, authorities said on Saturday.

Authorities imposed the weekend curfew to combat a rash of teen violence by roving mobs. Police spokesman Ray Evers told CNN that there were no signs of trouble late Friday, adding that the curfew did make a difference.

Evers said that police had taken 22 juveniles between the ages of 14 and 17 into custody an hour after the curfew took effect. But in all, some 50 minors were arrested and were not allowed to leave the police precinct until they were picked up by a parent or guardian.

Police patrolled the two areas under curfew, including downtown areas popular with locals and tourists during the Friday night curfew. The 50 teens are among the first charged with violating the newly enforced 9 p.m. weekend curfew, which forbids anyone under 18 from being out on the street in certain designated areas. Throughout the rest of the city, the curfew will remain 10 p.m. for those under the age of 13 and midnight for minors between ages 13 and 18, according to CNN.

Mayor Michael Nutter announced the earlier curfew after a recent epidemic of flash mob violence. "Minors who are caught breaking curfew will be sent home, brought home or transported to a police station where their parents will be contacted," the city said in a news release.

Minors face fines of up to $300 for a first offense. Parents may be fined up to $500 for successive violations and could also subject to imprisonment for up to 90 days for repeat curfew violation offenses.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-08-14

LoL <deleted>, says the guy coming from a country where if a rapist, murder, thief, (insert choice criminal BS here) breaks into your house and you shoot him, YOU go to jail. Or if you speak the wrong opinion in public you can go to jail.

Look I respect and admire England's NHS and I can only dream of such a great system for the US. But don't dare open your mouth about living free compared to the US.

LoL <deleted>, says the guy coming from a country where if a rapist, murder, thief, (insert choice criminal BS here) breaks into your house and you shoot him, YOU go to jail. Or if you speak the wrong opinion in public you can go to jail.

Look I respect and admire England's NHS and I can only dream of such a great system for the US. But don't dare open your mouth about living free compared to the US.

In the US if you speak the wrong thing in public you don't go to jail, just shot. There are certainly some things one should not speak about in public, with freedom of speach comes responsibility, if you aren't responsible then you should be removed. Racist/Hatred speeches and speeches denying the holocaust come to mind. If I had to move to either the UK or US the UK would be my fist choice, though not to a major city.

Is Philly that bad a place? I have heard Detroit is a shocker. Why are 13 year olds allowed out at that time anyway, bloody parents need some sense beaten into them too.

Is Philly that bad a place? I have heard Detroit is a shocker. Why are 13 year olds allowed out at that time anyway, bloody parents need some sense beaten into them too.

Philly is the worst place to go as a visiting sports team. At football (American) games it's probably the only city where it is risky to wear the jersey of the opposing team. It was so bad, the stadium had a judge and holding cells on the premises. They even booed Santa Claus at halftime once. :)

Just last week there was a flash mob up in Wisconsin where a large number of young blacks went around attacking white people. I remember ten years or so ago when a flash mob was just about getting a large number of people together in public and doing something silly. Kids today...

Edited by koheesti

In the US if you speak the wrong thing in public you don't go to jail, just shot. There are certainly some things one should not speak about in public, with freedom of speach comes responsibility, if you aren't responsible then you should be removed. Racist/Hatred speeches and speeches denying the holocaust come to mind.

Well, you don't get shot in the US for saying the wrong thing in public. Sure, I can provoke the wrong people and get hurt but that true of the entire human race. Many people seem to forget that "freedom of speech" simply means the government can't punish you for it. That doesn't mean that everyone else needs to be happy with what you say. Like you say, free speech comes with responsibility.

If I had to move to either the UK or US the UK would be my fist choice, though not to a major city.

Have you even been to the US before? I would choose the UK over anywhere in the NorthEast but not over Florida and California.

In the US if you speak the wrong thing in public you don't go to jail, just shot. There are certainly some things one should not speak about in public, with freedom of speach comes responsibility, if you aren't responsible then you should be removed. Racist/Hatred speeches and speeches denying the holocaust come to mind.

Well, you don't get shot in the US for saying the wrong thing in public. Sure, I can provoke the wrong people and get hurt but that true of the entire human race. Many people seem to forget that "freedom of speech" simply means the government can't punish you for it. That doesn't mean that everyone else needs to be happy with what you say. Like you say, free speech comes with responsibility.

If I had to move to either the UK or US the UK would be my fist choice, though not to a major city.

Have you even been to the US before? I would choose the UK over anywhere in the NorthEast but not over Florida and California.

Nope never been to the US. I just don't feel inclined to go there. I'm not too fussed on going to beachy places and hot weather as I have enough of that where I live. Thailand has something extra that I like :D

I think if I were to go to the US I'd probably want to see a bit of NYC then over to the ski resorts of Colorado, or something like that anyway. Though I would jump at the chance to do the trop from coast to coast in Canada. I don't mind cooler/cold climes.

That's pretty bad what you say about Philly and the football. I guess some people take their sports way to seriously. I'm not a parent but I just cannot fathom how some would let their children out that late, I mean honestly, is there ever anything good that happens late at night? Does a phone call late at night ever bring good news? Even when I'm in Pattaya I never stay out late but that would be because I'm hansum mannnn. :D

I'm not a parent but I just cannot fathom how some would let their children out that late, I mean honestly, is there ever anything good that happens late at night?

Midnight Basketball? Started in the USA, but now also in Australia and maybe other places. On one hand it sounds like a good idea, on the other, why should the gov't promote kids staying out until midnight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_basketball

Midnight basketball was a 1990s initiative to curb inner-city crime in the United States by keeping urban youth off the streets and engaging them with alternatives to drugs and crime. It was originally founded by G. Van Standifer in the late 1980's in the United States.

http://www.midnightbasketball.org.au/Pages/Home.aspx

Midnight Basketball is a national social

inclusion programme to help youth identify and embrace positive opportunities.

Dinner, compulsory life skills workshops and tournament basketball games are run

in stadiums on Friday or Saturday nights from 7.30pm till midnight, followed by

a bus home, providing a safe and motivating environment.

Our first Midnight Basketball program was launched in Redfern Sydney in 2007 and was such a success the program spread nationally. Midnight Basketball is open to youth aged 12 to 18 years.

Edited by koheesti

Here's a fun slideshow...

http://bleacherrepor...ts-fans-moments

The violent acts that were occurring at Veterans Stadium were continuing to increase, thus, leaving Philadelphia no choice but to install a court, judge and jail inside the stadium.

A courtroom was built into the stadium where unruly fans were taken for judgment and sentencing after committing crimes at Veterans Stadium.

Edited by koheesti

I grew up with a curfew in a small town. I don't remember what the curfew was, but I think it was 10:00. Once in a while it would be lifted for special reasons, such as Halloween.

If we were with parents, no problem.

If we were picked up, the police took us home. Not a pleasant experience.

As I recall there were actually two different curfews. If you were over 16 you could be out until 12:00 midnight.

My father was a city councilman and the big objection to the curfew was from the police. They didn't like enforcing it--trying to keep track of who was how old etc.

It was quite effective though. There was a warning system that was used for tornadoes, fires etc. It was sounded for the first curfew and everyone went running home.

Of course, there was nothing really to do in a small town. There was nothing open--not even a gas station. Kids that were out late at night were up to no good.

Well said. (ME UK GUY) :)

Well said. (ME UK GUY) :)

I lived under a curfew several months during the Iranian revolution. Never had a problem staying out past my bedtime since they were shooting at people who stayed out late.

Yes Philly, sadly, in some places is that bad. I'm not gonna get into the whole "Woe is me I came from a F'ed up area, listen to my war stories" type litany. However I will say that even as a kid guns and drugs in school were as common as detention would be anywhere else. Crack is community Xyclon B, it kills neighborhoods like poison kills men. And Philly is over half dead because of it.

As for some commentors;

Steely, I hope you weren't talking about me when you said;

"It's amazing how some who are liberal to the extreme when it comes to maintaining law and order in other Countries suddenly swing violently to the right when it's on their own patch. :whistling: Time for a musical interlude"

Because while on most things I'm Liberal, I was all about the govt crushing the red shirt terrorists here. The PM was too soft in my opinion and the nation here is worse off for it. In the US and in England the causes are different. No one paid the people in Watts or Tottenham to go rebel against the govt. There it was the natural organic result of oppression. Still bad, still needs a military presence, still the looters need to be shot. But much less abhorrent than having some criminal absconded thug pay people to do it.

And as for Freedom of Speech. Yes Freedom is not free, you still need to be responsible for your words and actions. For though our govt will not punish you for your words, those that disagree may attempt too. But our govt stays out of it, and in this way I find ours to be superior to many others (including England) and don't get me started about the right to bear arms.

But yeah back to the OP, I'm a parent my self, I got 2 kids a 12yrd old and a infant. My kids won't be out on the street that late and its the fault of the parents for the ones that are. I agree with the mayor. Nobody wants to see the crack of your ass, get off the dam street causing problems.

Edited by Huey

It's amazing how some who are liberal to the extreme when it comes to maintaining law and order in other Countries suddenly swing violently to the right when it's on their own patch.

Because while on most things I'm Liberal, I was all about the govt crushing the red shirt terrorists here. The PM was too soft in my opinion and the nation here is worse off for it.

You live here right? I think that you just made Mr. Dan's point. :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think the curfew times are questionable in terms of the city and the fines most certainly are, $300 for children and $500 for parents plus potential jail time? Seriously people! Let's be realistic here that's a double fine for the parents and IF one gets sent to jail then who enforces the childs curfew?? It sounds more like another of many 'non-tax' revenue collection schemes to me :rolleyes: ...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes Philly, sadly, in some places is that bad. I'm not gonna get into the whole "Woe is me I came from a F'ed up area, listen to my war stories" type litany. However I will say that even as a kid guns and drugs in school were as common as detention would be anywhere else. Crack is community Xyclon B, it kills neighborhoods like poison kills men. And Philly is over half dead because of it.

As for some commentors;

"It's amazing how some who are liberal to the extreme when it comes to maintaining law and order in other Countries suddenly swing violently to the right when it's on their own patch. :whistling: Time for a musical interlude"

Because while on most things I'm Liberal, I was all about the govt crushing the red shirt terrorists here. The PM was too soft in my opinion and the nation here is worse off for it. In the US and in England the causes are different. No one paid the people in Watts or Tottenham to go rebel against the govt. There it was the natural organic result of oppression. Still bad, still needs a military presence, still the looters need to be shot. But much less abhorrent than having some criminal absconded thug pay people to do it.

And as for Freedom of Speech. Yes Freedom is not free, you still need to be responsible for your words and actions. For though our govt will not punish you for your words, those that disagree may attempt too. But our govt stays out of it, and in this way I find ours to be superior to many others (including England) and don't get me started about the right to bear arms.

But yeah back to the OP, I'm a parent my self, I got 2 kids a 12yrd old and a infant. My kids won't be out on the street that late and its the fault of the parents for the ones that are. I agree with the mayor. Nobody wants to see the crack of your ass, get off the dam street causing problems.

Huey,

I guess we are all a bit 'a la carte' in our attitudes. I disagree with your hyper-critical stance on Israel and I certainly don't have the UK violence down as anything other than shopping with violence. As it stands I agree with you 100% about the redshirts and also about the Philly curfew, I was just pointing out the inconsistencies in your stance on these issues as I understand them.

A few posts with with inappropriate language has been removed, along with associate replies. Please remember the forum rules, especially:

1) To respect fellow members.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

:jap:

As I recall there were actually two different curfews. If you were over 16 you could be out until 12:00 midnight.

My father was a city councilman and the big objection to the curfew was from the police. They didn't like enforcing it--trying to keep track of who was how old etc.

It was quite effective though. There was a warning system that was used for tornadoes, fires etc. It was sounded for the first curfew and everyone went running home.

Of course, there was nothing really to do in a small town. There was nothing open--not even a gas station. Kids that were out late at night were up to no good.

I saw the movie

Steely,

I'm nothing if not consistent. A la cart , as you so aptly put, sure, I guess you kinda got be something of a lemming to follow a single party line 100% (say Liberal or Conservative) but it's rare that I deviate once I made up my mind on something.

I don't like the politics and policies of isreal, nor do I like America's relationship with isreal, and I never have, I don't respect the red shirts and I think they are terrorists, and I think the Mayor of Philly is doing a good job by enacting this law. I hope they lock up some bad ass kids along with their worthless parents and make the streets a lil safer at night.

What inconsistencies did you notice? Do you think that I judge bad people here more or less harshly then I do bad people in the States? I'm not sure I get you?

Nope never been to the US. I just don't feel inclined to go there. I'm not too fussed on going to beachy places and hot weather as I have enough of that where I live. Thailand has something extra that I like :D

I think if I were to go to the US I'd probably want to see a bit of NYC then over to the ski resorts of Colorado, or something like that anyway. Though I would jump at the chance to do the trop from coast to coast in Canada. I don't mind cooler/cold climes.

One of the things that you'd find you enjoy most if you went to the US is the kindness and generosity of the vast majority of Americans.

I'm from the UK.

What inconsistencies did you notice?

You often excuse Islamic terrorists and left-wing radicals for causing mayhem and espouse their cause, but the redshirts - who have inconvenienced you - are somehow beneath contempt.

You might be right about the redshirts, but how do those other violent, radical criminals get a free pass to do pretty much the same thing and for much the same reasons? :whistling:

Posters are under no obligation to answer posts which are not much more than an attempt at baiting them. There is a topic and your responses about the topic of THIS thread are welcomed.

Well Ulysses, looks like ol' scott here doesn't want us to hyjack the thread. So I guess my answer will have to wait until either you come to BKK or I go to Chang Mai for that beer I promised you a while back.

I can understand why they did not like enforcing it, but it would be much worse cleaning up the city if riots broke out because of these kids.