Mcdonalds Discrimination Or Typical Thai Business?

selftaopath

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I eat in a number of restaurants in which basic coffee refills are cheerfully given. Perhaps the OP should try a restaurant rather than McD's.

Nah, he just needs to get over the fact that this isn't the usa.

First I'd like to inform you that you don't know "what I need." It amazing what personality traits are shown regularly on TV. And FYI:

A few months ago my (Thai) wife and I were in Malaysia. Weenjoy McDonald’s breakfast when traveling. Upon getting a second cup of coffee my wife was pleasantly surprised atthe free fill up policy. I remarked that other places give free re-fills, and Iremember getting several cups refilled when I was back – living in – Hawaii, USA.

My wife asked me,” why doesn’t McDonalds in Thailand givefree refills?” I did not know the answer, but could only give an opinion based on my experience in Thailand. I thought I'd email McD'sThailand, but they do not have anemail address. My next idea was to ask TV members who oftenseem very a/b knowledgeable and experienced.

Of course I should have anticipated the numerous individualswho frequently post “off topic” comments and give unsolicited advise e.g. if yadon’t like it leave/get out more/ etc.I now somewhat regret posting a question on TV after reading some comments - your included, I believe judgmental types of input is not inthe true nature of Thai Visa. I could be wrong. Maybe asking a seemingly innocent question on TVis not the wisest choice.

Thanks for the many informative posts.

Keoki

Refraining from telling the OP that he needs to get out more, i can think of two good reasons why this issue might exist in LOS:

A. Coffee in comparison to other products does seem to be a little more expensive in Thailand, hence to give it away would probably send them broke rather quickly.

B. If there were free refills, it would not be long before every Somchai coffee seller was smuggling 10 litres of the stuff out of poor Ronalds establishments so they could sell it in their own street stalls..sending poor Ronald to ruin even quicker.

;)

There's a really crap breakfast buffet on offer at the Landmark. It does however offer as much coffee as you can drink.

Also if you must have a burger its insanely expensive and will likely offer you material for another entertaining thread.

It's merely a Thai cultural thing. "Free" is a strange and foreign concept unless applied to one's own family or government benefits. Similarly, "refund" is quite difficult to grasp.

And it's true of all Asian cultures but to varying degrees. I don't remember free refills in Japan (maybe they exist) but I know I had unexpected problems a few times getting refunds.

Thai culture advances more slowly than some others in the region for various reasons that needn't be explained here.

I eat in a number of restaurants in which basic coffee refills are cheerfully given. Perhaps the OP should try a restaurant rather than McD's.

First I'd like to inform you that you don't know "what I need." It amazing what personality traits are shown regularly on TV. And FYI:

A few months ago my (Thai) wife and I were in Malaysia. Weenjoy McDonald's breakfast when traveling. Upon getting a second cup of coffee my wife was pleasantly surprised atthe free fill up policy. I remarked that other places give free re-fills, and Iremember getting several cups refilled when I was back – living in – Hawaii, USA.

My wife asked me," why doesn't McDonalds in Thailand givefree refills?" I did not know the answer, but could only give an opinion based on my experience in Thailand. I thought I'd email McD'sThailand, but they do not have anemail address. My next idea was to ask TV members who oftenseem very a/b knowledgeable and experienced.

Of course I should have anticipated the numerous individualswho frequently post "off topic" comments and give unsolicited advise e.g. if yadon't like it leave/get out more/ etc.I now somewhat regret posting a question on TV after reading some comments - your included, I believe judgmental types of input is not inthe true nature of Thai Visa. I could be wrong. Maybe asking a seemingly innocent question on TVis not the wisest choice.

Keoki

Would you like the phone number for McThai so that you can call them and find out? I can tell you why we don't give free refills at my business but then again, perhaps you thought one of our esteemed TV members was the MD of MC Thai and could just answer your question in public?

or was your question more rhetorical in nature - not really looking for answer - just wanted to vent?

Sorry, my mistake.:unsure:

I bought a book of coupons for the McCafe since I was drinking my morning coffee often.

5 vouchers, value 100Bt each. Price 350 Bt.

I ordered a 70 Bt coffee and gave the 100 Bt voucher to the cashier. No change.

"Cannot give change for voucher"

So my coffee cost the same as if I hadn't bought the vouchers.

<deleted>?

I bought a book of coupons for the McCafe since I was drinking my morning coffee often.

<deleted>?

Maybe try to order a 100 bath coffee?

A few months ago my (Thai) wife and I were in Malaysia. Weenjoy McDonald’s breakfast when traveling. Upon getting a second cup of coffee my wife was pleasantly surprised atthe free fill up policy. I remarked that other places give free re-fills, and Iremember getting several cups refilled when I was back – living in – Hawaii, USA.

My wife asked me,” why doesn’t McDonalds in Thailand givefree refills?” I did not know the answer, but could only give an opinion based on my experience in Thailand. I thought I'd email McD'sThailand, but they do not have anemail address. My next idea was to ask TV members who oftenseem very a/b knowledgeable and experienced.

Of course I should have anticipated the numerous individualswho frequently post “off topic” comments and give unsolicited advise e.g. if yadon’t like it leave/get out more/ etc.I now somewhat regret posting a question on TV after reading some comments - your included, I believe judgmental types of input is not inthe true nature of Thai Visa. I could be wrong. Maybe asking a seemingly innocent question on TVis not the wisest choice.

Keoki

1. Since your OP identifies something you see as a problem in McDonald's in Thailand, and then goes on to blame ALL places in Thailand everywhere on this basis. I and others therefore corrected your misapprehension (listing examples of restaurants which are both in Thailand and also do give free coffee refills),

2. being informative,

3. and helpful.

You're welcome.

However, I find it disturbing that you feel so strongly about McDonald's that you would find it necessary to contact their HQ to ask for an accounting based on a difference in a foreign encounter. Perhaps foreign countries are not going to be 'your thing' if differences disturb you.

For example, you may be very disturbed to find that hamburgers in the Indian McDonald's contain no beef, and in fact, most McDonald's outside the US do not accept US dollars as legal tender- moreover, many times the sizes of menu items and their prices are NOT directly translatable into their American equivalents! Furthermore, I do not believe that the water served in Thai or Malaysian McDonald's is even fluoride-treated, and there are McDonald's where some of the staff do not speak English- clearly, a shocking state of affairs. You are nearly certain to be better off back in the USA where you can experience consistency in your McDonalds and will not have to suffer the heartbreak, yea, and even the scorn of those pitiless souls whom you have frequently read here on Thaivisa.

Nobody knows the trouble you've seen.

<deleted>?

I would order two 70 baht coffees and pay the difference in cash. ;)

Why anyone would want a free refill of an unhealthy drink is beyond me. I know many people around the world use coffee to keep them awake for the morning and late night. Try laying off those coffee and you won't be bothered by the free refill policy that you have experienced elsewhere.

A few months ago my (Thai) wife and I were in Malaysia. Weenjoy McDonald's breakfast when traveling. Upon getting a second cup of coffee my wife was pleasantly surprised atthe free fill up policy. I remarked that other places give free re-fills, and Iremember getting several cups refilled when I was back – living in – Hawaii, USA.

My wife asked me," why doesn't McDonalds in Thailand givefree refills?" I did not know the answer, but could only give an opinion based on my experience in Thailand. I thought I'd email McD'sThailand, but they do not have anemail address. My next idea was to ask TV members who oftenseem very a/b knowledgeable and experienced.

Of course I should have anticipated the numerous individualswho frequently post "off topic" comments and give unsolicited advise e.g. if yadon't like it leave/get out more/ etc.I now somewhat regret posting a question on TV after reading some comments - your included, I believe judgmental types of input is not inthe true nature of Thai Visa. I could be wrong. Maybe asking a seemingly innocent question on TVis not the wisest choice.

Keoki

1. Since your OP identifies something you see as a problem in McDonald's in Thailand, and then goes on to blame ALL places in Thailand everywhere on this basis. I and others therefore corrected your misapprehension (listing examples of restaurants which are both in Thailand and also do give free coffee refills),

2. being informative,

3. and helpful.

You're welcome.

However, I find it disturbing that you feel so strongly about McDonald's that you would find it necessary to contact their HQ to ask for an accounting based on a difference in a foreign encounter. Perhaps foreign countries are not going to be 'your thing' if differences disturb you.

For example, you may be very disturbed to find that hamburgers in the Indian McDonald's contain no beef, and in fact, most McDonald's outside the US do not accept US dollars as legal tender- moreover, many times the sizes of menu items and their prices are NOT directly translatable into their American equivalents! Furthermore, I do not believe that the water served in Thai or Malaysian McDonald's is even fluoride-treated, and there are McDonald's where some of the staff do not speak English- clearly, a shocking state of affairs. You are nearly certain to be better off back in the USA where you can experience consistency in your McDonalds and will not have to suffer the heartbreak, yea, and even the scorn of those pitiless souls whom you have frequently read here on Thaivisa.

Nobody knows the trouble you've seen.

thumbsup.gif

... and what about the outrageous quantity of ice cubes in their soda cups.!?! ohmy.gif

I just want a double quarter pounder in los-can get those in europe and north america, oh what am I to do?

Call the discrimination police or write to the letters section of the two english newspaper? How about a protest-they seem to do pretty well.

<deleted>?

I would order two 70 baht coffees and pay the difference in cash. ;)

I had the feeling the manager ordered staff to not give change for the 100 bt coupons......and then keep it for themselves.

A scam.

I just want a double quarter pounder in los-can get those in europe and north america, oh what am I to do?

Call the discrimination police or write to the letters section of the two english newspaper? How about a protest-they seem to do pretty well.

Hot Tip: There are vans outside Old Trafford selling half pounders with cheese. Highly recommended unlike the hotdogs and Budweiser on offer inside the ground. wink.gif

They sell them in Malaysia and Singapore. Fed ex?

Do you know Coffee is bad for you, and anything you enjoy is bad for you. i am a rabbit. Where are all the Nutters Today eating Nut Cutlets ?.. Jeez nothings anygood to the moanies. Christ Knows how my Gpaw reached 99 , whorein ,drinkin, and smokin, beats me.:D

Why anyone would want a free refill of an unhealthy drink is beyond me. I know many people around the world use coffee to keep them awake for the morning and late night. Try laying off those coffee and you won't be bothered by the free refill policy that you have experienced elsewhere.

A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to nondrinkers, are:

less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and dementia

have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes

http://www.webmd.com...new-health-food

But even if coffee has not health benefits, people enjoy drinking it .... whats the problem? There are no serious health risks associated with drinking coffee. Like anything else, too much is usually always bad. A couple cups of coffee is certainly not reaching those limits of too much in this context.

Your suggestion is similar to somebody suggesting you lay off the keyboard a while to prevent carpal tunnel.

Edited by Nisa

They DO give free refills in Australia but only for "Seniors" if they produce their Seniors Card or Pension Card to verify their age.

Not correct. They give refills on the $1 standard coffee free to anyone. Seniors recieve a free coffee (and refils) Or a free small soft drink with any purchase of a hamberger or similar.

So typical to see the 'well-traveled' come to this thread with their 'get out more' and 'I eat Thai food because I'm better than you' BS! :lol:

I've eaten more McDonald's in Thailand than I ever did at home (rarely touched McDonald's at home, to be honest). I like Thai food, but I'm not a huge fan of overly spicy foods as my pallet isn't used to it. That said, I will try most things, but after living here a few months you know what you like, and you realise that it takes more than just one plate of Thai food to fill your stomach. McDonald's is a lazy person's answer, that's for sure, but it is so convenient, and like I say, when I'm really hungry, I'll order myself a few burgers.

No idea about the refills issue, but the pricing is similar if not the same to the UK. The home delivery where I live is exemplary, here within 20 minutes of ordering easily, and the delivery chaps and chapesses are always polite.

Sure, I live in Thailand, but I'm a westerner who can't switch off my tastes and personal likes like a machine. Just like all you middle-aged gentlemen walking around with your polo shirt collars up to your ears, we are able to live more as we please here without fear of being overly-judged at every turn, except, it seems, by the collective morons of this board (and they seem to be breeding). It's no wonder we westerners don't greet each other and pretend to not notice one another. <_<

So typical to see the 'well-traveled' come to this thread with their 'get out more' and 'I eat Thai food because I'm better than you' BS! :lol:

I've eaten more McDonald's in Thailand than I ever did at home (rarely touched McDonald's at home, to be honest). I like Thai food, but I'm not a huge fan of overly spicy foods as my pallet isn't used to it. That said, I will try most things, but after living here a few months you know what you like, and you realise that it takes more than just one plate of Thai food to fill your stomach. McDonald's is a lazy person's answer, that's for sure, but it is so convenient, and like I say, when I'm really hungry, I'll order myself a few burgers.

No idea about the refills issue, but the pricing is similar if not the same to the UK. The home delivery where I live is exemplary, here within 20 minutes of ordering easily, and the delivery chaps and chapesses are always polite.

Sure, I live in Thailand, but I'm a westerner who can't switch off my tastes and personal likes like a machine. Just like all you middle-aged gentlemen walking around with your polo shirt collars up to your ears, we are able to live more as we please here without fear of being overly-judged at every turn, except, it seems, by the collective morons of this board (and they seem to be breeding). It's no wonder we westerners don't greet each other and pretend to not notice one another. <_<

It is not just about taste that may be driving you to eat more Western type foods. It is proven that it brings comfort mentally. Even Thais who go to the West were the quality of life is much better often return home to Thailand because they miss it as it is there home. But even those who stay and those who visit for long periods yearn for the tastes of Thai food. It is not about disliking western food (there is so much to choose from) but rather about filling that loneliness & homesickness that everyone feels occasionally. By eating food from your home, it really does help starve off these feelings.

Me, when I get feeling a bit homesick or thinking I'd be better off leaving Thailand ... I find a Burger King Bacon Cheese Burger and fries is all I need to feel better and also remind me that I'm really not missing much :-)

Point is, you probably are going to McDonalds more now because it simply provides some mental comfort more than a desire to eat there. This is actually very very normal and healthy. Eating McDonalds occasionally isn't go to hurt an active person but being stressed or worrying too much certainly will take years off your life and create health problems.

With that said, it should also be known that McDonald is sh@t and Burger King is the way to go. ;-) Actually I know it is a matter of opinion but I find only the Big Mac tastes the same in Thailand. All the other McDonald beef menu items don't taste the same. I think the Big Mac does because of the sauces. On the other hand, Burger King beef tastes the same to me.

As for coffee ... I am in the US now and will be back in BKK next week and cannot wait to have my cup of 3-1 coffee.

You know, I am not even sure I have tried McDonald's coffee. I have NEVER had a good cup of coffee anywhere in BKK unless I make it myself. Maybe it is more a US thing but we don't drink coffee as strong as they make it in most all Thai places. It is like drinking incredibly strong mud. I always end up pouring 1/2 the coffee out and filling it back with water then adding cream and sugar but it still has way too strong a taste.

On the other hand, Burger King beef tastes the same to me.

I thought that Burger King Beef was MUCH better in the US. In Thailand, it tastes like McDonald's beef, but is more expensive.

You actually may be right. The only thing I'll eat there is the bbq bacon cheeseburger and those may be the ingredients I am actually tasting. I have no idea if the beef is produced here at either place or if it is freeze dried and shipped over. Either way one would think it couldn't taste the same. I also like the onion rings at BK. I use to love McDonald fries but not since they changed the frying oil a few years back. Funny, I spent five months back in the US and didn't once go to McDonalds and only once to BK. In Bangkok between the two, I usually go twice a month. I really think it is more a "comfort food" thing than anything else.

It is not just about taste that may be driving you to eat more Western type foods. It is proven that it brings comfort mentally. Even Thais who go to the West were the quality of life is much better often return home to Thailand because they miss it as it is there home. But even those who stay and those who visit for long periods yearn for the tastes of Thai food. It is not about disliking western food (there is so much to choose from) but rather about filling that loneliness & homesickness that everyone feels occasionally. By eating food from your home, it really does help starve off these feelings.

Me, when I get feeling a bit homesick or thinking I'd be better off leaving Thailand ... I find a Burger King Bacon Cheese Burger and fries is all I need to feel better and also remind me that I'm really not missing much :-)

Point is, you probably are going to McDonalds more now because it simply provides some mental comfort more than a desire to eat there. This is actually very very normal and healthy. Eating McDonalds occasionally isn't go to hurt an active person but being stressed or worrying too much certainly will take years off your life and create health problems.

With that said, it should also be known that McDonald is sh@t and Burger King is the way to go. ;-) Actually I know it is a matter of opinion but I find only the Big Mac tastes the same in Thailand. All the other McDonald beef menu items don't taste the same. I think the Big Mac does because of the sauces. On the other hand, Burger King beef tastes the same to me.

As for coffee ... I am in the US now and will be back in BKK next week and cannot wait to have my cup of 3-1 coffee.

Good reply, and yes, I definitely feel it may be this for me (sometimes, but not all). I was being a bit of a rude p***k in my post, so for that I apologise.

BK is great, and I love their Bacon Cheese BBQ Burgers, but I do have a taste for McDonald's here, and I don't have a BK near me to deliver. I love KFC, but it gives me a terrible stomach.