Schengen Visa

You could write and ask; but as they don't usually keep these it must have been an error, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting them back. Probably simpler, though more expensive, to get new ones done.

I believe that the French do want the translation certified as correct in some way by either the Thai or UK government; but I'm not sure of the procedure.

Presumably the French application process will tell you?

Once your wife is qualified, get her naturalised as British; then she can get a British passport and you can forget about Schengen visas and simply pop across any time you and she wish. See requirements for spouses and civil partners.

Just on a slightly different note, we recently applied for and were granted a multiple entry from the Spanish Embassy in Bangers, I was sent all of the paperwork by the Embassy - including the page saying that as I'm a Brit and we're married etc then the visa should be free and that no insurance is required or travel plans etc and when the Mrs went to apply The Embassy still charged her for the visa, still required the plans and insurance, I knew that they would so we supplied it all after they requested it, when the wifey showed them the form that they sent me stating that it should be free etc, they merely said 'no, you have to pay'.

What can you say to that excellent reasoning??

Thanks

Jimmy

Edited by BIGJIMMY

Just on a slightly different note, we recently applied for and were granted a multiple entry from the Spanish Embassy in Bangers, I was sent all of the paperwork by the Embassy - including the page saying that as I'm a Brit and we're married etc then the visa should be free and that no insurance is required or travel plans etc and when the Mrs went to apply The Embassy still charged her for the visa, still required the plans and insurance, I knew that they would so we supplied it all after they requested it, when the wifey showed them the form that they sent me stating that it should be free etc, they merely said 'no, you have to pay'.

Thanks

Jimmy

I believe that it should have been free. Did they charge the full visa fee ? They may say that there was, in fact, no fee, but there was a " service charge". but they should not even do that.

Thanks

Jimmy

I believe that it should have been free. Did they charge the full visa fee ? They may say that there was, in fact, no fee, but there was a " service charge". but they should not even do that.

I think the French are OK in issuing Schengens to family members or EU nationals, at least at the Bangkok embassy, and often issue a one year visa but some of the other embassies have singularly unpleasant Thai staff who try to ignore the Schengen agreement regulations that apply to family members travelling with or joining their EU spouse or other family member. The Thai staff at the German embassy in Bangkok seem to be the nastiest of the lot and they are exceptionally rude, making an obvious effort to imply that one's Thai wife is a hooker as far as they are concerned. My wife, who has numerous Schengen, UK, US and Australian visas in her passports, was told she had to complete the parts of the form that are asterixed, meaning they are not required for family members of EU nationals, until I intercedded and told the ECO that she was not entitled to request those parts of the form to be filled in under the rules for issuing Schengen visas. The ECO then insisted on quizzing her verbally on these questions instead and demanded an employment letter. The Germans have also removed the asterix from the question asking for the applicant's profession which is clearly there on the all the other embassies' Schengen forms I have seen. Finally the ECO topped her performance by attempting to demand a visa fee and theatrically pretended this was a slip up on her part when we objected. As if this in not enough, the Germans force applicants to come through heavy rush hour traffic to pick up visas between 8.00 and 9.00 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. The visa was issued for the exact dates of the trip and not a minute longer. It would be better to apply to another embassy for the visa to go to Germany as they have no idea where you go anyway. But there again that is probably the intention of the obnoxious Germans to shunt the workload of issuing the free family member visas on to the colleagues in other European embassies.

Edited by Arkady

I tried to get one from the Spanish embassy and they made it as hard as possible, so we decided to go to France instead and they were lovely and much easier, just make sure you follow the docs to the letter - they got me on photo it has to be newish!

Effortless and very nice remember although multi entry (think got 1 year) they will stamp upon entry ideal for France as if you stamp Spain in a french issue then apparantly they are humpy about next time! goodluck

incidently any jobs going at your place been class 1 for 8 years fancy a bit of euro work!

opps just seen how old this is ..!

Edited by silverdales