Owning A House In Bangkok

Hi,

I am looking for some advise please.

I am interested in buying a house when I move back to bangkok in a couple of months.

Now I have a 3 year old daughter to my ex thai wife.

My question is, is it possible to put the house in her name ?

If not how can I go about buying a house.

thx for you time :)

I bought a house in my daughters name in Suttisarn when she was 3 years old (3.5 years ago), no problems at all. Took a full day at gromm tii dimm on Ratchada Rd

My daughter carry a 100% English name (my surname) and I am not married to the mother. I was legitimised and had shared custody before I did it though

I can now safely live in my house until my daughter turns 20, then she can kick me out. The mother is not going to be able to kick me out if we have a custody fight in court (shared custody = extremely unlikely). Property is under court supervision so the land cannot be sold or leased out for more than 3 years without court decision

An underage cannot be master of the house hold in tabien baan, that will have to be an adult. Having someone else than the wife/mother as chao baan could be a good precautionary measure

Excellent choice if you plan to stay a long time

Edited by MikeyIdea

There is no problem for you to own a house in your own name, the problem lies with land ownership.

You have the following legal options:

1) Lease the land on a 30 years lease in your own name and construct a house in your name. (A lease could be substituted by a usufruct, a superficies or a habitation right)

2) Lease an existing property and buy the house from the owner through a separate agreement. The property would then have to be split insofar as the ownership of the house is separated from the land. This is a bit more complicated than compared to alternative 1) above, but doable.

3) Buy the property in your child's name. This means, however, that the property cannot be sold or transferred without a court order until the child becomes 20 years of age. The court would in such a case only consider the benefits of the child.

4) Start a real company, and by that I mean a company that actually does business, and let the company buy the property. I real terms you as a foreigner would be a minority share holder unless you are an US citizen.

5) Invest 40 million baht in Thai Government bonds for five years and hope the Minister approves your application to buy one rai of land in your name.