Register Marriage In Australia Or Thailand, Which Is More Equitable.

ClaritySeeker

I've been with my Thai bf for about a year and we have decided to marry and settle in Australia. We've decided to have a Buddhist ceremony in Thailand but I'm wondering which country to register the marriage in. I have no idea about Thai law and don't want to make a decision ghat I may come to regret a ome future point. All I want to ensure is if anything should happen, which country will offer the most equitable terms, easiest legal system and best resolution or both of us. Thanks or any information.

There isn't that much difference, a marriage and divorce in one country would be recognized by the other country. It is also possible to marry in one country and divorce in another country.

A choice for either country would only be more important if there are assets involved. If you have assets it is advisable to get compatent legal advice on how best to protect them, for instance with a nuptial agreement.

Thailand has very easy divorce laws, depending on if you both agree to a divorce. If you both agree, you can be divorced in 20 minutes for free. If you don't agree, you have to go to court and file for divorce.

Upon divorce the rule is that you equally divide the asstes acquired during the marriage. (That includes al debts). All you had before the marriage remains yours. With a nuptial agreement you can come to another agreement regarding the devision of assets.

Thai law doesn't know any alimoney, it does know child support.

Easiest and best legal system? Thailand by far

Why?

No bias against fathers or westerners in juvenile court when it comes to custody and possession of the child - more fair than most other western countries

Child alimony is only for the child - education and health care split 50/50 between the parents

If parent denied access to child (except denied by court decision), then that parent does not have to pay child alimony until he gets access

No wife alimony in case of divorce

Whatever was owned before marriage stays that way, whatever was bought while married is split 50/50 (including debt)

I have a few Australian friends who all swear that the Australian legal system is not as fair as that, they are all well educated, good and hard working fathers with much less access to their children than the mother