Spelling On The Uk Affirmation

Just a quick question.

I will be going to the embassy myself and getting the translation done before going to the MFA.

Regarding my surname, When we put my surname into a translator on the Net, It throw up a different spelling to what my GF said it was, So when she did my Name the way she thought it was, It showed my correct name , So far i have the Proper spelling for my Full name.

Is there anything else i need to spell correctly on the affirmation?

Malc

I can't speak for your affirmation that you talk about, i have no idea.

But when it comes to English/Thai translations for names, you can spell either one of a hundred ways. It's whatever works for you. I'm guessing you're Thai and want to make sure your names sounds correct in English? Just go for the best phonetic spelling that you're happy with.

For me, I hve about 10 ways to spell my surname in Thai, and I picked the best me for me, best phonetics and characters I can remember. I had my g/f write it down and when I got my license they just put my English name in both parts! doh! I'll get it fixed on the renewal.

Not sure what you are asking.

You are not asked for a translation of your name, but for your name to be spelled in Thai. This can often be done in different ways and there is no correct spelling.

What is imporatnt is that you will be known under this name by the government. So on all government documents, like a work permit etc, you should use the same Thai spelling to avoid problems

My original translation was rejected by the MFA because of an issue with my surname. Not sure exactly what that issue was, but it was something to do with my surname having two d's in it and they said the translator had made an error. I had to have a new translation done at the MFA building and hand it in again.

Malct, please remember that not all members will have read your previous topics and so will not know what on earth you are talking about unless you say! I assume that you are talking about the affirmation of freedom to marry required by the Thai government from all foreigners marrying in the Kingdom.

Is this correct?

If so, you do not complete it in Thai!

Follow the instructions on the British embassy website. That is:-

• Re-type the sample in English, completing your details as you go.
  • Sign and have your signature notarised at the embassy.
  • Have the whole document translated into Thai.
  • Have this translation certified correct by the MFA.

As others have said, there are many different ways of spelling a farang name using the Thai alphabet. Don't worry about it.

May I suggest that if you have any further questions on your partners settlement that you start a new topic entitled "My partner's UK settlement application" or similar and then post all further questions there; rather than starting a new topic every time. That way the confusion shown by some posters in this topic will be avoided and you will receive more relevant answers.

The title reads "Spelling on the UK Affirmation"... Maybe that's a hint... But OP, more info is needed

I understand exactly your issue here when we submit affirmations & take them for translation they often ask how do pronounce his name ?

As I believe they often struggle to translate it correctly we have never had any issues with this once it has been translated.

Yeah once you get the Affirmation of marriage there is a translation service on the first floor of the mall across the road from the british embassy entrance, I would advise to go there as the service is excellent and not only does she translate the affirmation she will complete all the form the you need for the MFA stamp. I was surprized by this as when I got to the MFA i didn't know she had done this and the whole processing time in the MFA only took about an hour and the service only costs about 500 to 900 bhat

Yeah but thats not right across the road from the British Embassy and you do not need a translation when admitting an Affirmation to the Embassy as this can be admitted in English

Edited by Greenbhoy

You have the whole affirmation translated.

As I said earlier:-

Follow the instructions on the British embassy website. That is:-

• Re-type the sample in English, completing your details as you go.
  • Sign and have your signature notarised at the embassy.
  • Have the whole document translated into Thai.
  • Have this translation certified correct by the MFA.

For full instructions; click here.

Hello from Bangkok

Arrived at the hotel last night at 10pm after flying in from the UK and to my amazement i have my official Thai copy of the affirmation to marry by 12.30pm and it took 4hours 30 to complete the process.

arrived at the british embassy at 7.45 and 3rd in the que and all sorted by 08.30. over the road to the translators, 09.15 i was on my way to the MFA.

I was totally lost in the MFA, they failed to tell me that i had to go through the yellow door, so i was sitting with a yellow number waiting outside, so just has well their was 2 sections with numbers, so i went to ask which counter i had to look for and the lady pointed to the yellow door. my papers was submitted at 11am and i got my papers back at 12.30pm.

Job well done and sitting in the hotel lobby having a beer.

(I paid the extra for the express service, Its worth it and it means that i can get married tomorrow.

malc

PS, thank you to everyone for advice so far

Edited by malct

Excellent Malc,

Well done, got to be a record that!!!

Thats given me a bit of reasurance that I will get mine done all OK in the allowed 2 days (when I arrive in 3 weeks).

May even have some spare time to look around Wahoo!!!

Now go get Married! :partytime2::intheclub:

we got married today, arrived at 12 midday and out at 13.30am even though there was a lot of people before us, but a Guy waved us over and quickly did the paperwork!!!! now for the application for the Spouse Visa.

Malc

Edited by malct