Lost My Iphone- Help Me Back On My Feet

boxman

Hello all. This my first time visiting Thailand and last week was not good me. I lost my debit card and my iPhone because I them on the Taxi on my way back to my apartment last night. I have already cancelled my debit card and multiple attempts at calling my iPhone only goes to voicemail even though it almost had a full battery (I think the driver took it).

I want to get back on feet again and I was really hoping someone could tell me how much it would cost to get a new iPhone here in Bangkok Thailand. I really want it back because it had a translator on it and google maps, I will settle for a regular phone only if the iPhone is too expensive. Obviously the most important thing is that I have a cell phone that can talk and text.

I'm going to be here until December so a contract is no problem with me. Someone please help me; I was really loving Bangkok up until I was put in a position without money or communication in a country where very few people speak english.

No at the location software, I had just restored the iPhone and had not had a chance to put the features in it to make it safe. There was not even a password on it yet. Luckily though there was no important information on there other than my facebook account. 23,000 baht for a new iPhone is expensive. How much would it cost for a blackberry? (or maybe even a shadier iPhone or blackberry depending where you look).

Try to get a Thai person to both send an SMS (in Thai), and to ring the phone. Offer a 5,000 baht reward. Arrange the exchange in a moderately public place, typically it's a hotel lobby or front desk. The chances of recovery within 24 hours are high. After that it enters the secondary market.

Edited by lomatopo

Who was you phone service provider? You could possible check to see if any outgoing calls where made. Then find out more information about the numbers dialed. Also if you have Gmail enabled on phone try sending yourself an email then watch from your gmail page where the ip adress location is (this can be accessed in the bottom right corner of your gmail page, click on Details which will be in blue). If you use other mail service's im not sure if they have this feature.

Thanks for all the tips. I sent myself a text message, e-mail, and Facebook message in the thai language about rewarding the person if they return it. Unfortunately when I tried calling my number it doesn't even go to voicemail which makes me think they took the sim card out. ;( I'm going to the MBK today to speak to TRUE to see if they can do anything, otherwise I'll just ask them to cancel my contract. I sent myself an e-mail via my gmail account but could not find anything resembling an IP address.

I'm going to give it two days and than move on with my life. No important data was lost thank goodness; it was only three week ago before I wiped my phone here in Thailand that if someone had my phone they could literally have access to all my finances.

I am looking for a new phone right now I was hoping someone could help me find a phone with these features. (Otherwise tell me which board in the forum is the best place to ask).

3G internet

tethering

talk & text

translator

map

compass

and a camera

I don't mind buying secondhand. Right now I'm looking at a few blackberries on Craiglist that look nice.

When you login to gmail look at the far bottom right corner and it will say details, click that, then a pop-up will appear listing all of the ip adresses that accessed your gmail account.

Thanks for all the tips. I sent myself a text message, e-mail, and Facebook message in the thai language about rewarding the person if they return it. Unfortunately when I tried calling my number it doesn't even go to voicemail which makes me think they took the sim card out. ;( I'm going to the MBK today to speak to TRUE to see if they can do anything, otherwise I'll just ask them to cancel my contract. I sent myself an e-mail via my gmail account but could not find anything resembling an IP address.

I'm going to give it two days and than move on with my life. No important data was lost thank goodness; it was only three week ago before I wiped my phone here in Thailand that if someone had my phone they could literally have access to all my finances.

I am looking for a new phone right now I was hoping someone could help me find a phone with these features. (Otherwise tell me which board in the forum is the best place to ask).

3G internet

tethering

talk & text

translator

map

compass

and a camera

I don't mind buying secondhand. Right now I'm looking at a few blackberries on Craiglist that look nice.

Although I personally don't like Android phones, you can find something between 10-14k price range with google maps and 3G features.

Samsung Galaxy Mini is 5 KTHB. LG does a similar spec / size one as well. Android OS and can do everything the OP wants.