Recent Hair Styles

Ijustwannateach

One hair style that seems to be getting more prominent, on TV and in public, is this awful thing where they bunch up the hair somehow so that it sticks up in a kind of big bump or prosthesis-looking thing forward from the front of the top of the head. Yuck!

Something more palatable and attractive, though no less natural, is that it seems like the 'flapper' look is back. Just in the last few days saw several women with wavy shoulder-length hair parted exactly in the middle, and sometimes even wearing the trademark headband of flowers!

Are these styles really in now? Ladies, what do you think of them?

Mostly it's women who have the hairstyles I mentioned (that's why I posted here!) but they do look rather like Elvis there- only not nearly as effective with the look (instead of intense and smouldering, they tend to have a nobody's-at-home-deer-lost-in-the-headlights look.... :P.... needless to say, none of my sensible lady friends have this hairstyle! :D

Thankfully it hasn't reached UK yet, still getting used to the over fringe look. kind of like a comb over bald mad would have but with a shit load of hair & for girls. :blink:

Ah the Bieber! Sounds like girls are copying Justin Bieber's old hairstyle

I've had the same for forever. Long. Can leave it loose or ponytail. Sometimes I braid it.

Cut it about every six months, a couple of inches.

When I was young I was a trainee hairdressers guinea pig!! Never again, I was a punk, a blonde and a sort of lampshade shaped permed...

Shudder.

You can see some of my hair behind the cat's head.

Edited by Patsycat

• 3 weeks later...

Thankfully it hasn't reached UK yet, still getting used to the over fringe look. kind of like a comb over bald mad would have but with a shit load of hair & for girls. :blink:

I've just been back in the UK for a while, and saw a few youngish girls with it (north east). My husband actually laughed at the first one he saw. It is horrible. :bah:

Still yet to see one, although I would love to, sounds so awful it must be fantastically hilarious. The things women do. I confess, I did not go the big curly hair route in the 80s but mainly because my hair was too fine to do so. In looking back I can only say thank god for my hair!

just a reminder for old times sake of the famous 80s big hair!

4.jpg

Ah yes, now I know the style you mean. I saw quite a lot of this when I was back in UK in April. Mainly younger girls.

You can buy a hair accessory called a BumpIt, which comes in various sizes, depending how big you want your bump to be. You clip it in, and then backcomb your hair over it and voila.... you have ridiculous hair! Can't say I will be giving it a go....

post-12994-0-38948800-1316145381_thumb.j

Except konini's looks like it has the bumpit right over the forehead. :blink:

The ones I saw did - dead centre and no fringe. They really were hideous, and a bit more exaggerated than the one in the photo I found. Glad I'm not young anymore....

Edited by Konini

Cheryl in the Loreal hairspray advert has the style like in Konini's photo, not too keen on it myself, it's like a mini beehive!

Slightly off topic, but I can remember when I was young going to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks and I had to swap seats with my dad because the lady in front of me had a bee-hive. Happy memory - you've just made my day. Thanks :)