Safe Diving

irishken

hi all.

is it safe for a complete novice to go diving without any PADI course. i will be going to Phi Phi in feb 2012 and would like to go diving. i have seen 1 day trips with 2 dives. i dont want to give up 3 days of my holiday to do a course plus leaving my wife on her own wouldn't be very fair. my brother has told me stories about when he lived in the cayman islands that he seen people feeling unwell after diving as they had not done it before.

as my brother has not done anyone diving himself could anyone back this up.

also has anyone ever used a dicapac for there camera. i have done a fair bit of research and they look preety good.

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=468294

thanks all.

ken

Edited by irishken

You can not dive safely with no training. Don't try it.

The PADI Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) program is a one day program that covers the basics of safety and equipment. This is the 1 day 2 dive trips you have heard of. You will be very closely monitored by a certified PADI professional in calm shallow waters. It is very safe. There is no correlation between the people "not feeling well" after diving because "they hadn't done it before" unless they were diving with no instruction at all and did something like skip breath, hold their breath, go to deep, or ascend to fast.

Link: Padi Discover Scuba Diving

You do not receive a certification for completing a DSD but it can be credited towards certification later.

The dicapac and similar camera bags are good for snorkling. If you are thinking of taking your camera on the dive with you in this bag, don't. They aren't made for that. Your dive shop will probably have rental cameras, although on a DSD you shouldn't take a camera anyway as you will need to be focusing on the diving. That will be up to your instructor/divemaster. Better to have your instructor/divemaster can take pictures for you/of you.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The PADI Discover Scuba Diving program is a one day program that covers the basics of safety and equipment. You will be very closely monitored by a certified PADI professional in calm shallow waters. It is very safe. You do not receive a certification but it can be cedited towards certification later.

thanks for your advice.

i have contacted a dive shop on phi phi and asked the same question and they said ,"sure its safe, we do it everyday". so i just wanted to hear from someone who was not making money at my expense.

i think they give some basic training in a pool and breathing techniques

The PADI Discover Scuba Diving program is a one day program that covers the basics of safety and equipment. You will be very closely monitored by a certified PADI professional in calm shallow waters. It is very safe. You do not receive a certification but it can be cedited towards certification later.

thanks for your advice.

i have contacted a dive shop on phi phi and asked the same question and they said ,"sure its safe, we do it everyday". so i just wanted to hear from someone who was not making money at my expense.

Yeah, ideally pool time before ocean is best, but not required since here in the tropics most of the ocean is just as clear, calm and often warmer than swimming pools.

Enjoy your diving!

thanks for your advice.

scubabuddha is correct.

DSD allows you to experience diving "today" without getting a diving certification. But it is the only safe way to dive if you have not had training. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying. Period.

But hey - you're going, so try the DSD and then if you like it, get your certification !

I am a PADI IDC-Staff Instructor, have been diving for over 25 years, and I cannot stress highly enough that you should NOT try diving without a certified Divemaster or Instructor going along with you. I've seen too many accidents, some resulting in the ultimate cost - death - by trying to do this. The sea is a hostile environment that will take your life if you treat her with no respect.

HAVING SAID THAT - our goal is to create enthusiastic divers through Discover Scuba. There is a good reason I've been diving so long - it's AWESOME! Every vacation I take involves diving. Becoming a certified diver brings you into an exclusive club. You will see many beautiful things, enjoy thrilling experiences and make life-long friends.

Best of luck!