Specialized Rockhopper Prices

MaiDong

I'm thinking about getting a Specialized Rockhopper, I bought one in the UK before for £350 but I recently saw a used one being sold for B25,000, what kind of price has anybody else seen them for here?

I've heard they are for sale in World Bikes shop in the HSBC building, are they stocked anywhere else?

If I can't get a Rockhopper for around B20,000 I'll just settle for a Specialized Hardrock, I've seen these over my side of BKK(Pinklaow) for B20,000 new but I'm sure I could get a better price than that in BKK< any ideas?

The Specialized importer in Thailand is Sports Bicycle, tel. 02-6375487, located at 1st Floor, U Chu Liang Building, Rama 4. They have a Web Site but it is currently under re-construction. Seems most of the importers are in process of announcing / rolling out the new models for 2012. So might be a good time to get a deal on a 2011 bike in the next few months as new stock starts to arrive. My friend down here recently bought a Hard Rock disc for 14k. Cannot remember whether they had the Rockhopper in stock last time I visited their web site. Also have a distributor Bike Station which carries Merida in stock as well. So good for a comparison. The Merida bikes have a good reputation and well priced.

Another company to check out is Bike Zone who are the agents for Marin Bikes. Located in the Amarin Plaza (Chidlom BTS). The prices on the Marin bikes are very competitive and the store is managed by Fausto (from Italy) who is a keen rider. Service back up is supposed to be very good.

Hope this helps.

The Specialized importer in Thailand is Sports Bicycle, tel. 02-6375487, located at 1st Floor, U Chu Liang Building, Rama 4. They have a Web Site but it is currently under re-construction. Seems most of the importers are in process of announcing / rolling out the new models for 2012. So might be a good time to get a deal on a 2011 bike in the next few months as new stock starts to arrive. My friend down here recently bought a Hard Rock disc for 14k. Cannot remember whether they had the Rockhopper in stock last time I visited their web site. Also have a distributor Bike Station which carries Merida in stock as well. So good for a comparison. The Merida bikes have a good reputation and well priced.

Another company to check out is Bike Zone who are the agents for Marin Bikes. Located in the Amarin Plaza (Chidlom BTS). The prices on the Marin bikes are very competitive and the store is managed by Fausto (from Italy) who is a keen rider. Service back up is supposed to be very good.

Hope this helps.

They're scallies in the shop near me aren't they!

My wife & I were buying a new bike for her, we've always bought her bikes from this shop, we always go there to buy spares and repairs but when I asked the bloke who works there how much the Hardrock was, he paused, then said 'about B20,000', I thought 'you cheeky bastard', making up prices when you see the white man coming, but I gave him some credit, I just put the silly price down to this being Thailand and many things are stupidly priced - not only for us white men/women!

So reading that you bought the same model all that time back, for B5,000-6,000 less!! I have to calm myself down, it really really f***s me off.

And I tell you what, this Hardrock had grip-shifts, horrible things, and I asked if he could change for something normal/better, he said NO.

Lucky I used my head and enquired here isn't it!

I'm going to Sports Bicycle early next week to see what they've got.

I used to have a couple of Marins back in the UK and they were the best bikes I ever owned, but I've read recently that the paint is badly done, and comes off quickly, any experiences of this? Marin would be my first choice but if I can find a Rockhopper I'll take it, as long as it's not stupidly expensive.

I used to have a couple of Marins back in the UK and they were the best bikes I ever owned, but I've read recently that the paint is badly done, and comes off quickly, any experiences of this? Marin would be my first choice but if I can find a Rockhopper I'll take it, as long as it's not stupidly expensive.

I'm not so sure the Spec. are as good as they used to be and general feedback from the MTBR Forum / review would tend to back this up. My mate who bought the Hardrock this year had his BB go within a couple of months from buying new. Apart from a few off road rides with me his regular routine was to and from the gymn most days on quiet back roads. The local shop where he bought it gave him the run around and told him only the frame was covered under warranty - &lt;deleted&gt;!! I told him to contact Sports Cycle direct and see what their take was - they came good and agreed to get the LBS to cover a new BB.

It seems most of the lower end (price) models have decidedly low grade components and IMHO I think it's worth paying a bit extra upfront to get decent components rather than upgrading as stuff wears out or breaks. But of course it's also down to the type of riding, how much TLC you give the bike and how you abuse it ;) Not heard/read anything about the paint job on the Marin but Mountain Bike Review is a good place to get a lot of feedback, also Bike Radar. Ask the guys at Bike Zone (Marin) about this issue, they have been very good in the dealings I have had with them.

Again, just my 2 satang worth :)

Thanks for your reply yotspeed, I've got childhood memories of permanent bottom bracket breackages - that clunking each time the crank turns haunts me!

I just called Sports Bicycle and everything is 'finished', I think I need to get myself to the shop just to clarify that every bike is 'finished' and that they haven't got anything until next week <_<

They did say they had a Rockhopper comp 2012 for B33,000 which is out of my price range(wife would either kill me or expect 33k Bahts worth of shoes)

I'd never heard of Merida until this week, I haven't stepped on to a bike for years so haven't kept up-to-date with bike news, would I get more for my money if I went with this brand? The bike would be used initially to get me around BKK but I would like to go on a few more serious rides when I get my eye in again.

What I want is a strong bike, a light bike, a bike that won't break when I jump up a kerb and a bike that won't rattle after a few weeks...

I'll check that out if I see it in any of the shops I visit, thanks TB.

I'm hoping there is space in some of these shops to have a little roll around on the bikes as that'll be the only place I can try them out...

I'm actually quite wary about buying things here at the moment, so many items I've bought have been faulty, am I alone in noticing this? I'd hate to ride a bike home and find a crack in the frame or a broken component, I'll have to make sure I'm well covered by any bike I buy.

Just got back from visiting THAILAND SPORT BICYCLE, Probike & Bike Zone.

Thailand Sports Bicycle was ok, they had a few Rockhoppers, a few Hardrocks etc, a couple within my price range but without hydraulic brakes, and some with hydraulic brakes WAY over my price range(B60,000!) So I skipped my ay out of there pretty fast, they did have some nice bikes but too expensive.

Probike was just full of Treks and I don't want one of them at the moment, there's just something about them that doesn't sit well with me...

Then over to Bike Zone and by far my best experience today, Fausto was as expected - friendly & helpful, which after my recent nice experiences dealing with foreign people running businesses over here makes me think again about ever wanting to deal with a local when I'm making any kind of substantial purchase(flame me if you will!)

I asked Fausto's opinion on a few different brands and he was very forthcoming which was refreshing, I still came out of the shop half wanting a Specialized Rockhopper and half wanting a Marin Palisades Trail(B31,000) but only being able to afford a Bobcat Trail (B23,500). the Bobcat Trail was a nice enough looking bike, the components were a little low spec but not bad necessarily, the Palisades Trail, on the other hand, was up to a decent spec and looked much nicer.

It was suggested I visit Bike Station near the junction of Petchburi Rd & Srinakarin Rd, apparently I would be able to find more reasonably priced Specialized bikes there as opposed to the over priced bikes in Thailand Sports Bicycle, has anybody been there recently or had any experiences? I'll go there on Monday to see for myself anyway.

Hi Mai Dong

Seems you got just the reaction I expected with the guys at Bike Zone - like I said, all my dealings with them have been very good.

Have not been to Bike Station but the recommendation came from the write up on Bicycle Thailand as mentioned they also carry Merida which have a good reputation and seem to have better components at the lower price end.

Let us know how you get on.

I'm thinking of going for the Marin Palisades Trail, has anybody got any views on the bike? Or the B31,000 price tag?

31k is the MRSP for it. I reckon you could bring that down quite a bit? Its really worth asking for a discount.

I'm thinking of going for the Marin Palisades Trail, has anybody got any views on the bike? Or the B31,000 price tag?

The spec. on the Palisades trail looks good for the price and leaning towards higher end parts which should last a good length of time if maintained / looked after. The components are a good mix of well known, trusted brands so should not need any upgrading any time soon. The frame is 'hydro-formed' AL which is generally lighter and stiffer. The retail price in the US is $999 which compares to the Baht price at BZ. Imagine you should be able to get around 10% off the price stated as it's a 2011 model and 2012's will start shipping soon. The main thing is to test-ride. You will get a good back up and warranty from the guys at BZ and they offer service back up as well. The equivalent Trek bike does not have a hydroformed frame and a much cheaper front fork. At the end of the day it's your call but I would say looks to be reasonably valued, especially if you can get a price reduction and a few goodies thrown in.

Oh, and did I mention to test ride the bike....... and the guys at BZ are experienced in setting up the bike to make sure it's the right fit.

31k is the MRSP for it. I reckon you could bring that down quite a bit? Its really worth asking for a discount.

The spec. on the Palisades trail looks good for the price and leaning towards higher end parts which should last a good length of time if maintained / looked after. The components are a good mix of well known, trusted brands so should not need any upgrading any time soon. The frame is 'hydro-formed' AL which is generally lighter and stiffer. The retail price in the US is $999 which compares to the Baht price at BZ. Imagine you should be able to get around 10% off the price stated as it's a 2011 model and 2012's will start shipping soon. The main thing is to test-ride. You will get a good back up and warranty from the guys at BZ and they offer service back up as well. The equivalent Trek bike does not have a hydroformed frame and a much cheaper front fork. At the end of the day it's your call but I would say looks to be reasonably valued, especially if you can get a price reduction and a few goodies thrown in.

Oh, and did I mention to test ride the bike....... and the guys at BZ are experienced in setting up the bike to make sure it's the right fit.

There's nothing I like more than people saying the things I like to hear :D

Today, from Charan Sanitwong Rd I took a taxi to Hua Lampong MRT where I went underground to Petchburi BTS then on to Hua Mak station where I then walked to Bike Station only to find out they are closed on Mondays!!! I should have checked first but seriously, who closes for a whole day in these times???

I'm afraid they've lost my business, that's just plain lazy in my opinion.

So, back to the Marin; I'll pop back over to Bike Zone and see what Fausto can do for me, he said new stock as coming in a few weeks but I'd prefer a 2011 bike with some discount and anything else he might want to throw in, what is the normal offer?

I'll test the bike out as much as possible, there's only a small area to go up and down but I think it'll be ok for me anyway...

There were 2 different Palisades Trails in the shop, one had Avid Juicy Brakes, the other had Haykes/Hayes[??] hydraulic brakes, I've tried searching but I can't find comparisons - it doesn't help that I can't find the name of the others, any ideas?

But Bike Station is open all day Sunday, unlike a lot of the other bike shops. To me that makes good business sense. If you have to close one day for staff to have a day off, why not close on the day with least business, which for many entertainment related venues is Monday. I personally wish a lot more of these stand alone shops would stay open on Sunday, when I am much more likely to have time to visit.

Anyway, I do hope you get fixed up with a bike that gives you all you are looking for. When the new Giant stock comes in I will pay a visit to their Udomsuk shop, not to see the new stuff, but like you to see how much the prices come down on their 2010/11 models. I am still shopping round for something for the streets of Bangkok to replace the shopper I am using and am edging towards a hybrid, as opposed to an MTB with street tyres as suggested by several posters and one of the Thai staff of Bike Zone.

the Trek 4900 2012 model is out at probike. Its listed as 28,500 at probike website but i heard the actual retail price is 2 to 3 k lower than that. Very nice specs for the price. 30 speed, deore and Slx for rear derailleurs.

Edited by tigerbeer

Hi MaiDong,

try to call the mobile number on the picture; i believe this rockhopper is priced at 21,800.- thousand Baht.

I saw these through the window at Bike Station and didn't like them at all, the Rockhopper I'm after is either all black or Matte black, I think the orange cheapened the look of these, the components didn't look very high spec either - through the window...

I'm waiting for a 'cheque to clear' then I'm going shopping, I'll have another look at the Specialized bikes in the HSBC building(forget the name) and I'll also take another trip over to Fausto's to see if he can come down from B31,000 to B28,000, I'll also scope out what 'goodies' he's prepared to throw in :)

I know some other brands are better priced but I've owned Marins before, they make me feel different, they're in a different league to Trek/Merida/Giant IMO.

Thanks for your ideas :)

Just rode back from Bike Zone with my new Marin Palisades Trail :)

I'll definitely need to shape up! I have aged quite a bit in the 10 years since I rode regularly back in the UK, love the bike though, think I'll need to upgrade some bits in the future such as seat, pedals, grips, possibly the drivetrain too, it looks very stock, I'll see how it bears up over a few rides.

The tyres need to be changed too, the ones that came with the bike are ok for light country tracks but not suitable for BKK roads - too knobbly.

I took the bleedin reflectors and 'dork disc' off too, looks very smart now! I also replaced the cable clips after I lost one on the ride home, replaced the remaining ones with plastic fasteners as it was clear they weren't up to the job and would've all pinged off at some stage, possibly leaving me with flapping cables during a long ride!

Fausto chucked in a saddle bag and a cage & bottle for free, which was nice, don't think I'll use the (Merida)cage or (Marin)bottle though, they scream 'wannabe!'

The bike was originally B31,000 but I got 10% off so all-in it was B27,900.

Fausto also informed me that future tune-ups were free too, which is nice to know.

I've got the bike next to me in my office now - like my gig, my wife has already given it the evil stare ;)

Thanks for any advice & help given!

Enjoy your new bike! Sounds like a faireal on a nice bike. I've also been looking for a bike and like you, I found that Bike Zone seemed to be a good, honest, enthusiastic dealer.

I've been calling in regularly to Bike Zone (it's near my office and it's a pleasant lunchtime walk to Amarin) looking and chatting but not buying, and I've always been made to fee welcome.

I'm after full suspesnion (had a Marin Rift Zone in UK) but they cost as much as a motorbike in Thailand so I'm finding it difficult to take the plunge!

But I've looked at the garden gates they sell in Big C and Tesco and could never ride one of those .... so I guess I'll have to pay the price.

Enjoy your new bike! Sounds like a faireal on a nice bike. I've also been looking for a bike and like you, I found that Bike Zone seemed to be a good, honest, enthusiastic dealer.

I've been calling in regularly to Bike Zone (it's near my office and it's a pleasant lunchtime walk to Amarin) looking and chatting but not buying, and I've always been made to fee welcome.

I'm after full suspesnion (had a Marin Rift Zone in UK) but they cost as much as a motorbike in Thailand so I'm finding it difficult to take the plunge!

But I've looked at the garden gates they sell in Big C and Tesco and could never ride one of those .... so I guess I'll have to pay the price.

Pay the price! Mine was as much as a Honda Wave, the ones in there you're interested in are as much as a CBR150 :D But you know it'll be nice to ride!

And something I'm pleasantly surprised to find is that the price I paid for my bike, new, was cheaper than in the UK! - B27,900/GBP680 compared to B33,500/GBP700 - That's often the complete opposite.