Firework Ban

I see that the Samui Express this week (14/7 has reported that the Samui Municipality has banned the use of fireworks from 9PM to 6AM daily.

No mention is made if this is a blanket coverage for the whole island or if it extends to K.Phangan. Neither does it mention if there are

any exceptions.

Whatever the right and wrongs are of letting off fireworks, if true this rule would appear to be an act of crass stupidity.

If, as claimed by the deputy mayor that anyone violating the ban would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law (which particular law?) then the BIB are going

to have their work cut out during Chinese New year, New Years eve and various public holidays.

Maybe this is just another way to swell the coffers by way of "fines"

If the Deputy Mayor is that concerned about noise he should include the sunset to dawn commercial party "music" gatherings which is far more disturbing than

15 minutes of fireworks.

This law/rule is reported to have been implemented as a result of tourists complaining to the hotels. From what I have seen it is mostly the hotels

who lay on the firework displays.

All this seems very un-Thai like given their love of fireworks and I wonder if there is more detail to add to this piece of reporting.

Spot on Carmine.

I live mid-way between Melati and Sixth Sense, and most fireworks in this area are set off by.......

..............Melati and Sixth Sense.

And as you say - I would happily put up with 15 mins of fireworks every day if it meant getting rid of the new Black Moon Party venue. How the people living down near Plai Laem beach put up with I'll never know.:(

Edited by Tropicalevo

so much for freedome. i used to like watching the fireworks out my window for the few minutes at night.

they only give out liscences to sell to a curtain amount of people so everynight does not down like Iraq anyway.

maybe thet want to promote their new lazer businesses

Spot on Carmine.

I live mid-way between Melati and Sixth Sense, and most fireworks in this area are set off by.......

And as you say - I would happily put up with 15 mins of fireworks every day if it meant getting rid of the new Black Moon Party venue. How the people living down near Plai Laem beach put up with I'll never know.:(

Is one night per month really that bad to deal with?

Spot on Carmine.

Yes it is that bad - no sleep ! You try doing a day's work rising at 6 am just as the music stops and having not slept for 24 hours.

At the moment it is two nights per month. This number is expected to rise. (The parties are not restricted to black moon nights. Any excuse will do.)

Let me know where you live - I can arrange a demonstation :ermm:

If I had wanted loud music and lots of drunken idiots nearby I would live in Chewang or Had Rinn. Not in an isolated area that has been beautifully quiet for 11 years.

(Excuse me for feeling brittle on this one - it is a problem. Another sleepless night due on the 30th.)

Edited by Tropicalevo

Spot on Carmine.

Actually, yes. A non-stop bass thump all night is totally unacceptable. In any case it is not just one night per month and if, god forbid, it should be

commercially viable it will become even more frequent.

The point is that if one form of intrusive disturbance is banned then why not another??

Personally I think that this law (if it is a law) will only be applied when the BIB need some top up to their funds as per the monthly checks on

crash helmets.

As I said before, New Years Eve should be interesting!!!

Spot on Carmine.

You are either an overseas visitor or not a local to that area. See how you feel when you are sober & trying to sleep.

Spot on Carmine.

You are either an overseas visitor or not a local to that area. See how you feel when you are sober & trying to sleep.

I live in Bophut, so its not on my doorstep, but not a million miles away.

I realise it might be annoying for 1 night, but i dont really think its that big a deal.

For an island that pretty much depends upon tourists and expats with a few coins in thier pockets people do make a big deal about them enjoying themselves.

Spot on Carmine.

I realise it might be annoying for 1 night, but i dont really think its that big a deal.

For an island that pretty much depends upon tourists and expats with a few coins in thier pockets people do make a big deal about them enjoying themselves.

If you really do live in Bophut, you would be aware that there are residential areas as well as entertainment zone. Some illegal bars/ clubs operate outside the zone, so what you are saying it's OK?

Let's see what tune you play when it's on your door step.Not once a month , but several nights a week.

Sorry gone off topic here, back on it now lol.

If you really do live in Bophut, you would be aware that there are residential areas as well as entertainment zone. Some illegal bars/ clubs operate outside the zone, so what you are saying it's OK?

Let's see what tune you play when it's on your door step.Not once a month , but several nights a week.

Sorry gone off topic here, back on it now lol.

Rooo's point is very valid.

Plai Laem beach is NOT a designated Entertainment Zone. The venue is illegal.

The party (and noise) goes on until 6 am. This is illegal. (12 midnight for residential, 2 am for Entertainment Zones.)

Alcohol is sold outside of licensing hours. This is illegal.

Although I do not have hard evidence - history and experience tells us that drugs are popular at these events. This is illegal.

And Al1508 writes " i dont really think its that big a deal".

Both Thai and foreign people and business that are legal - are loosing money because of these events.

But as long as people like Al1508 get their party fix - it's no big deal. :blink:

On the plus side - no fireworks of late. Mind you, the winds are so strong at the moment that they probably would not work properly anyway.

Spot on Carmine.

Yes it is that bad - no sleep ! You try doing a day's work rising at 6 am just as the music stops and having not slept for 24 hours.

At the moment it is two nights per month. This number is expected to rise. (The parties are not restricted to black moon nights. Any excuse will do.)

Let me know where you live - I can arrange a demonstation :ermm:

If I had wanted loud music and lots of drunken idiots nearby I would live in Chewang or Had Rinn. Not in an isolated area that has been beautifully quiet for 11 years.

(Excuse me for feeling brittle on this one - it is a problem. Another sleepless night due on the 30th.)

i am confussed they are banning fireworks not loud music.

at least fireworks are for everyone to see. if someone had enough money to put a show on all night then they must be seriously minted. normally they only last 15 minutes at the most and everyone can see them

at least fireworks are for everyone to see. if someone had enough money to put a show on all night then they must be seriously minted. normally they only last 15 minutes at the most and everyone can see them

Not banning fireworks, but curtailing the times . None between 9pm & 6am . Most of these are purchased from shops that sell them late at night & sold to drunks on the beach to let off at all hours of the night.

True perhaps they should put a curfew on illegal loud music, which they can control. How are they going to catch anyone letting off fireworks at 2 am on the beach.

Not banning fireworks, but curtailing the times . None between 9pm & 6am . Most of these are purchased from shops that sell them late at night & sold to drunks on the beach to let off at all hours of the night.

True perhaps they should put a curfew on illegal loud music, which they can control. How are they going to catch anyone letting off fireworks at 2 am on the beach.

music that it contained like the super sub and sound bar should be ok.

there should be a legal desibell limit for out door events.

think is that allot of our torusime that the island savives on is based around parties but has to be fair.

maybe like the millenium dome. there should be a big space out there for big parties that people can rent that is away from people.

there again that would be too organized.

seriously i could hear the black moon all the way past the ko kart tracks in the past. i mean why is thre a demand for music to be that loud. it can't sound any better for the customer

This law is right up there with the one that says you are not allowed to wear flippers in the water anymore.

How the heck are they going to police this? easy, they won't.

I live next door to a resort owned by a local Thai family, they have been letting of fireworks every other night after 9pm which I might add the tourists come down to the beach to enjoy.

I haven't seen one cop around to book 'em yet, in fact I am going to enjoy it if they try because I am fairly sure I know what the boys that run the place are going to say.

This law is right up there with the one that says you are not allowed to wear flippers in the water anymore.

How the heck are they going to police this? easy, they won't.

I live next door to a resort owned by a local Thai family, they have been letting of fireworks every other night after 9pm which I might add the tourists come down to the beach to enjoy.

I haven't seen one cop around to book 'em yet, in fact I am going to enjoy it if they try because I am fairly sure I know what the boys that run the place are going to say.

maybe the law is not yet to be enforced. or maybe they are just thinking about it. i dunno i did not read that paper

• 1 month later...

Spot on Carmine.

Well i reckon thats bull,because the s senses does not allow any fireworks and i do all the shows at the melati. I do professional shows on Samui,ha even did one last week at 10.30 and the mayor was there,its not the professionals thats the problem ,its the thai selling on the beach at 10-2 am when the police arein bed.THE LATER IT IS THE DRUNKER THEY ARE SO IN THEIR HEADS ITS OK TO DO FIREWORKS.

I DO feel sorry if you live near that 'chillen feel; party area,got some expat DJ to thank for that..

Spot on Carmine.

Well i reckon thats bull,because the s senses does not allow any fireworks and i do all the shows at the melati. I do professional shows on Samui,ha even did one last week at 10.30 and the mayor was there,its not the professionals thats the problem ,its the thai selling on the beach at 10-2 am when the police arein bed.THE LATER IT IS THE DRUNKER THEY ARE SO IN THEIR HEADS ITS OK TO DO FIREWORKS.

I DO feel sorry if you live near that 'chillen feel; party area,got some expat DJ to thank for that..

i do not really care if there is a ban. if i want to let some off late at night i am sure that th eold bill have better things to do then wake up and put loads of man power into finding out the person who let off a few bangs. lol