Perscription Reading Glasses

seagall

:o we are staying in Bangkok for 2 nights and Koh Samui for 8 , we have heard buying perscrption glasses is cheaper than the uk,  can anyone recomed a good optotion ?

I've been a glasses wearer for many years, and bought 3 pairs here. I personally don't think they're much cheaper. One thing that always worries me is that they only give you a sight test, they don't check the health of the eye (not trained or qualified to do it), you have to go to a hospital eye Doc for that. Something to bear in mind. I think the sight test is ok though, I've never had a problem with the new specs here.

If a prescription is all you want, I like Boonteng Optical near Villa supermarket (Soi 33) on Sukhumvit. My optician was US trained. Don't go to any optician on lower Sukhumvit Road as their prices are considerably higher and will try to fob you off with something you don't need or want. Boonteng's choice of frames are classy, too. I agree with sierra01 in that I don't think they are that much cheaper than anywhere in the UK.

In the event you do want/need an opthalmologist however, then it is better to go to a hospital.

:o we are staying in Bangkok for 2 nights and Koh Samui for 8 , we have heard buying perscrption glasses is cheaper than the uk,  can anyone recomed a good optotion ?

opposite World Trade Center, behind Bangkok Bank, is a very good optician whose name is "Wellington" or "Washington" (they have 2 shops, one is "Washington", the other "Wellington", one on Silom - don't know where exactly, and the other one is the one opposite World trade. I always forget which one goes by which name).

Very cheap and very good quality.

thank you all for your comments , will check them out when in BKK

Seagall,

Your topic heading is for reading glasses. If this is really what you are looking for you do not need a prescription. Glasses for seeing near(reading) come in standard strengths and can be bought anywhere very cheaply. Bring a newspaper with you when you go shopping and try different powers(its marked on the glasses) until you get the correction you like. . I bought a cool folding pair from a street vender 2 years ago and use them all of the time( about 200baht)

Pgrin