Help Please

mrbojangles

Bought a new laptop in Saudi a couple of months ago. Come to Thailand a couple of days ago and the wife gave me the camera. I normally just connect it direct through the USB cable but forgot to bring it with me. No problem I thought, so I took out the SD card and put it in the SD card reader on my laptop but nothing. Tried another SD card but also nothing. Tried both SD cards in a friends computer and they both work.

It doesn't seem to be reading or recognising the cards. Is there something I need to switch on first? Any help before I have to trot off to Tutcom would be appreciated. :jap:

You should check your device settings to ensure reader is active and doesn't have a "yellow !" alongside

Are you using an external or internal card reader in both instances/laptops?

If internal have you got a USB external reader that you can try? They generally come with a USB cable that may even fit your camera.

A USB cable should be easy to get at Tutcom and to check and see if problem is isolated to your laptop. Would seem strange if both reader & USB cable both don't work so I would expect cable solution to be a quick fix/solution

Hope this helps

Where are you? I assume Pattaya!

You should check your device settings to ensure reader is active and doesn't have a "yellow !" alongside

Are you using an external or internal card reader in both instances/laptops?

If internal have you got a USB external reader that you can try? They generally come with a USB cable that may even fit your camera.

A USB cable should be easy to get at Tutcom and to check and see if problem is isolated to your laptop. Would seem strange if both reader & USB cable both don't work so I would expect cable solution to be a quick fix/solution

Hope this helps

Where are you? I assume Pattaya!

Thanks for the reply Rabbi.

It's a built in card reader. I have a USB cable which connects direct to the camera and that has been working fine but i left it in Saudi. Don't really want to buy a new one when the internal card reader should work.

Do you know how I get to the device settings?

Yeah in Patters for the week.

probably just a driver issue Just goto the company websites, and download the driver for the cardreader for your make/model computer. If this doesn't work, then you may have a hardware problem.

Do you know how I locate the information of the installed device so that I can can download the correct one?

If you want to bring your laptop over to me tomorrow mid morning I'll have a quick look for you.

Too hard to try and describe unless you know how to go to Device management

I am at Rabbi's Elephant Bar & Guesthouse in Soi Buakhao just near corner of Soi 21 off 3rd Road

Cheers

If you want to bring your laptop over to me tomorrow mid morning I'll have a quick look for you.

Too hard to try and describe unless you know how to go to Device management

I am at Rabbi's Elephant Bar & Guesthouse in Soi Buakhao just near corner of Soi 21 off 3rd Road

Cheers

PM sent :jap:

You don't mention the size of the SD card. Many laptops will not read a card larger than 2GB. It's a hardware issue, and can't be resolved by a driver or a tweak. If you have one, try reading a smaller card.

Otherwise, if you don't have a large card, you may need to check that you have the latest driver, and that it's properly installed.

Good luck.