Jet Ski Scams Use Fake Photos

Rimmer

Jet ski scams use fake photos

PATTAYA: -- In spite of promises galore, late summer is upon us and yet the awful curse of the Pattaya jet ski scammers is still with us.

As everyone knows, the jet ski mafia is still extorting mega-cash from tourists after false claims of serious damage to the rented craft. Huge sums of up to 150,000 baht have been demanded for no or very little damage to one of the 400 or so jet skis available for hire in the resort.

The responsibility to sort out the mess, which is doing Pattaya so much harm in the international and local media, is clearly that of City Hall. That’s where the buck stops.

The Pattaya mayor has promised to “keep watch” on the operators as have his deputies and the chief of police. There has been talk of telephone hotlines and arbitration panels. Yet almost daily reports of tourists being shamelessly exploited still reach this newspaper. Victims talk of being threatened with beatings if they don’t fork out big sums.

Full story and pictures HERE

--PATTAYA TODAY 2011-08-29

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I had problems with the jet skis 45 years ago in Pattaya when I owned a hotel. Then they were not jets but had outboard motors, They were a terrible menace and many bathers were injured. I had then had problems with the baht busses overcharging. We had meeting with the mayor and the police. But to no avail. Nothing changes. Influential people run this country who are above the law. They own the jet skis. baht busses tuk tuks, nothing changes or ever will. Just like influential Taksin now runs this country

I walk the beach daily in Pattaya and in the last week ,3 different time i have seen  the same Jet ski Mafia tugs demanding money for foreigners. This is in front of Mikes shopping mall.... The police showed up each time and did Nothing... Only told them to pay up<div>This will Never end...  The Mayor dose not seem to have any power at all. Just all talk....</div>

The best way to end it is to publicise it far and wide. In every trip report, hotel review, city review, conversation, letter, email, whatever one may write to friends, relatives, and media outlets always mention the jet-ski issue. When enough people are aware of the scam and don't rent the jet-skies they will either mend their ways or pack-up and go home (I'm voting for going home).