Budget Laptop

jaiyenyen

We had a downpour at home on Saturday, and I had managed to leave my office window open. Result, one flooded laptop!! After draning it, and leaving it in front of a fan overnight, it still didn't start.

I took it to Zeer, Rangsit, and had it checked, but it's knackered.

So, I need a new laptop. I'm on a very tight budget. I only use it for Word, e mailing, and a bit of music and movie downloading.

I had a quick look around Zeer, and saw Acer, Lenovo, and Samsung all had machines starting at 12,000 baht, each with similar spec's. Which would you choose? What other makes are worth a look at the moment?

The dead Laptop is an Acer, I'd had it for about four years, and was happy with it.

What do you reccommend?

Thanks

BIG-C had a very decent Lenovo 14" notebook for B10,500 this week. A friend bought one and it is pretty decent. Only 1 meg of RAM but easily expandable. Being Thailand, no installed operating system but we were able to get Win-7 (copy; of course) and a large array of software installed at Pantip for B300.

If you are really on a budget, there is quite a selection of used desktops (small footprint) at Pantip for under B5000 including monitor. Many run on a P-4 but are a bit shy of RAM (256) but are expandable for a pretty low cost.

Put the laptop in the oven at the lowest temperature for 4-8 hours. Let it cool, then try again.

It takes some time to dry the internal nooks and crannies.

We used to do this with minicomputers after we used a pressure washer to clean them.

Put the laptop in the oven at the lowest temperature for 4-8 hours. Let it cool, then try again.

It takes some time to dry the internal nooks and crannies.

We used to do this with minicomputers after we used a pressure washer to clean them.

Great advice. Thanks.

I'll do that today and see what happens

BIG-C had a very decent Lenovo 14" notebook for B10,500 this week. A friend bought one and it is pretty decent. Only 1 meg of RAM but easily expandable. Being Thailand, no installed operating system but we were able to get Win-7 (copy; of course) and a large array of software installed at Pantip for B300.

If you are really on a budget, there is quite a selection of used desktops (small footprint) at Pantip for under B5000 including monitor. Many run on a P-4 but are a bit shy of RAM (256) but are expandable for a pretty low cost.

I don't really want to buy 2nd hand, but the Lenovo sounds good, I'll have a look in Big C.

Thanks for your help.

I like Lenovo''s, I think its the best out of the budget brands by far.

I bought my first Lenovo about 6 months ago and I use this thing about 14 hours a day every day and had no problems at all.

I even dropped it once at the pub and amazed it didnt shatter into 1000's pieces like my old Acer laptop.

I have no idea how people can buy Acer's, I have had 2 Acer laptops and they tend to fall apart with ease.

Ofcourse every model is different, but thats just my experience.

If you dont need a laptop, get a desktop.

I bought an second hand Lenovo X61s. Added some memory and got a new power battery. Small, durable and the internals are great.

LCD display could be better resolution, but still beats many of the mini laptops sold today.

I got a Lenovo!!

I went to Big C and they had one G475 left, I got it for 9,900 baht. 2meg of ram and 500GB hard disk.

I'm busy at work today, so won't be able to play with it until I get home.

Thanks for all your advice.