Coming For 29/30 Days But Told To Apply For Tourist Visa

I leave the UK on 15/12 and my return flight leaves Bangkok on 13/01. That's 30 days from the UK departure date and 29 days from entry to Thailand. I spoke to someone from the Thai embassy in London and she advised not to rely on the 30 day Tourist Visa excemption permit as if my flight was delayed I would be overstaying.

So I looked at the requirments for a 60 day tourist visa application and have a few questions.

Does the 3rd point below apply to me if I am only going for holiday purposes? On the website under tourist visa it says: 'This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for Tourism and Medical Treatment purposes." So if I am not going for medical treatment purposes can I ignore point 3 below? It's not clear on the website.

Also I am not going to be staying in 1 place in Thailand, but there is only space for 1 proposed address in the 'Visiting Details' section.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS - Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months - check

- Visa application form completely filled out - check

- Two (2) recent (2 x 2 inches.) photographs of the applicant - check

- A letter from a doctor/hospital in Thailand (for purposes of Medical Treatment in Thailand) - ??

Thanks

I wouldn't bother, if something happens you can go to immigration and get a 7 day extension permission to stay a few days more for I think 1000 baht. Even if you over stay a few days it is only 500 baht a day fine. If anything major happens to delay you they have in the past waived the fine and over stay.

That's what I was thinking but then whey would the embassy person suggest a tourist visa? Will probably go in tomorrow and ask anyway but technically if im out of there by 30 days then in theory it shouldn't be a problem.

That's what I was thinking but then whey would the embassy person suggest a tourist visa? Will probably go in tomorrow and ask anyway but technically if im out of there by 30 days then in theory it shouldn't be a problem.

Nice of her to be concerned but a bit of a busy body also they get what 60 pounds or there abouts for a visa. I wouldn't bother going in waste of good time. Just come on a 30 day permission to enter if worst comes to worst could always make a quick border run for 15 days overland

Even if one day overstay they generally donot fine you.

Edited by moe666

Ok ta. Also 1 final bit I forgot to mention, I will be going to Cambodia inbetween for 2 days so is there anything additional I require ie multiple entry or I just be issued another 30 days upon re entry to Bangkok?

Thanks

Ok ta. Also 1 final bit I forgot to mention, I will be going to Cambodia inbetween for 2 days so is there anything additional I require ie multiple entry or I just be issued another 30 days upon re entry to Bangkok?

Thanks

When you exit Thailand to Cambodia your entry stamp into Thailand is finished, when you enter Thailand by land from Cambodia you will get 15 days, if you enter by air you will get 30 days, so if you want to spend more time in Thailand, exit to Cambodia just before your first entry stamp expires.

Thanks

When you exit Thailand to Cambodia your entry stamp into Thailand is finished, when you enter Thailand by land from Cambodia you will get 15 days, if you enter by air you will get 30 days, so if you want to spend more time in Thailand, exit to Cambodia just before your first entry stamp expires.

Great. So basically I don't need to bother with a toursit visa at all.

Cheers bud, you saved me 40 odd quid. Not sure why the bint at the embassy didn't just say that.

That's nonsense, don't bother getting the tourist Visa, they just after the money.

If your flight is delayed you can simply get a 1 week extension.. and if another volcanic ash cloud was to occur then they waive any penalties for overstaying anyway.

You are fine with an visa waiver 30 day stamp on arrival.

If you are visiting Cambodia watch your timing, as you will only get a 15 day stamp (by land) entry back into Thailand, so if you happen to go after say 1 week, you are going to fall short of the time needed, if on the other hand its later in your trip then no worries. Just thought it was worth a mention.

Anytime AFTER 15 days in Thailand and you;ll be fine. BEFORE that and your visa will finish before you fly home.

If you are returning from Cambodia by air then no worries and go when you like.

If you are visiting Cambodia watch your timing, as you will only get a 15 day stamp (by land) entry back into Thailand, so if you happen to go after say 1 week, you are going to fall short of the time needed, if on the other hand its later in your trip then no worries. Just thought it was worth a mention.

Anytime AFTER 15 days in Thailand and you;ll be fine. BEFORE that and your visa will finish before you fly home.

If you are returning from Cambodia by air then no worries and go when you like.

Thanks Charlie. Basically I arrive in bkk on 16/12 and leave for 2 nights on 30/12. I will be arriving back in by air and leave for blighty on 13/01 so even in the event I re enter Thailand by land and get a 15 day I would still be timing wise.