When 2 Years Is Up

My wife has been in England for just over a year now, and I am in the midst of making sure that she has various things (mobile phone account, bank account etc) in order to show the Visa guys in London that we are still together and she is still registered at our marital address.

I understand that we have to renew her visa after 2 years of her being in UK - but my question is what are we renewing it with?

is it for another 2, 5 or 10 year settlement visa? or UK Citizenship?

If its Citizenship, is it safe to assume that she would need to pass the new "life in the UK" & "English" tests that have been in the news recently.

However, is it true that if my Thai wife took UK Citizenship she would lose her rights to buy land as a Thai National?

However, is it true that if my Thai wife took UK Citizenship she would lose her rights to buy land as a Thai National?

Hi Rio, i'm curious about your other points on citizenship and what visa comes after the initial 2 year one. I have had conflicting views on this, over the last few weeks from people who have been through it. All i can think of, is that the rules have changed since they went through it and so i too, await the advice. My Mrs has only been here 5 weeks but like you i am collating as much evidence as i can.

As for the last point. It may be worth doing a search in the Property forum, or posting the question. My understanding on it (if i remember correctly from reading a post) is that, basically the Mrs should just keep quiet about her british citizenship. That way she can keep both. She should use her Thai passport to get into and out of Thailand and use her british passport to get out of and into britain.

Someone else may be able to expand a little more. :o

After 2 years in the UK, your wife will ge given, should she qualify, indefinite leave to remain (ILR). This is endorsed in her Thai passport and allows her to stay in the UK with no restriction. However, if she ever spent more than 2 years outside of the UK in one hit, she would lose the ILR.

Once your wife has ILR and has been in the UK for 3 years, she can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen. She will then have to pass the language and UK life requirements. If she were to have an ESOL entry level 3 qualification combined with a Skills for Life course, she wouldn't need to sit the UK life exam.

Both Thailand and the UK recognise dual nationality, so there are no other issues to consider. Furthermore, I don't believe Thai women married to foreigners are now prohibited from owning land in Thailand.

Cheers,

Scouse.

If she were to have an ESOL entry level 3 qualification combined with a Skills for Life course, she wouldn't need to sit the UK life exam.

Scouse, is there a link somewhere with more information on this. Either, what is required for the "UK Life exam" or the "ESOL" and "Skills for life" courses?

Cheers

MrBoJ

If she were to have an ESOL entry level 3 qualification combined with a Skills for Life course, she wouldn't need to sit the UK life exam.

Scouse, is there a link somewhere with more information on this. Either, what is required for the "UK Life exam" or the "ESOL" and "Skills for life" courses?

Cheers

MrBoJ

MrBoJ - this is worth a look

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

MrBoJ - this is worth a look

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

Cheers Rio,

Guess what. I just took the "Life in the UK test"...............and failed :D Holy corrumba, they're gonna take my passport off me :o

Example of some questions:-

Population

How many people live in the countries of the UK?

What is the census and how is census data collected and used?

How many people belong to an ethnic minority and which are the largest minority groups?

Where are there large ethnic communities?

Religion and tolerance

How many people say they have a religion and how many attend religious services?

What are the largest religious groups?

What is the Church of England and who is its head?

What are the main Christian groups?

[when getting the indef. stamp, is it wise to travel there in person to get it or is it ok to send all the details, and what is the price difference............

The choice is yours. Application by post costs £335.00 and in person £500.00. In person, you get a decision on the day rather than having to wait a number of weeks.

Scouse.