Good Deal From Scb?

I dont have an account with SCB, and even if I did I would still be putting my money where it gets the best return, not necessarily with a bank I already have an account with.

I do have a step-up account with Kbank which pays some 3.8%AER over the term. Regular 24-month (much longer than the term of my bond) TDs with Kbank pay only 3.1%AER

TMB have a step-up bond currently paying 4%AER over the term. The 24-month TD pays 3.4%AER.

So as far as I'm concerned both these step-up bonds are better value than TDs from the same banks.

YMMV

Have a look at Thanachart Bank which seems to be offering 4.25% term deposit as I wandered by in Buriram today.

Didn't check it out completely, so I will prempt our resident Wisconsin Bunkered Google expert and state this in advance.

Here are their rates.

http://www.thanachar...ang=en&rateid=4

Can't see any 4.25% although I can't be bothered to work out the return on the "Super Grow Up" bullshit incremental rates crap.

The only reason I can think of that banks do this is to confuse the customer. I find it so <deleted> annoying.

please replace "confuse" with "bullshitting"!

Naaah,they would never do something like that in Thailand.

Naaah,they would never do something like that in Thailand.

The Thai banks, since the 1997 mess, are totally benign compared to western banks. A little bit of advertising bullshit is absolutely nothing compared to the western banks which have brought economies such as the UK, US, Sweden, Iceland and Europe into despair and ruin with their <deleted> bullshit.

Hi "12DrinkMore" It wasn't that I was offended by your comments....in fact you were frighteningly close to the truth. Over the 16 odd years that I've lived in Thailand I've lost about £80,000 (that's pounds sterling!) through bad investments so when it comes to investing money I feel that I must either be a gullible moron or extremely unlucky. So with this latest account that I've opened you got me wondering if I'd gone and done something fundamentally stupid again. :wacko:

There may well be better deals with other banks but I don't want to be opening up new accounts with different banks just to get a marginally better return. Firstly, I can't really be bothered and secondly I've read reports that it might not be as easy nowadays to open an account with a new bank outside of the main centres such as Bangkok /Pattaya.....not like the old days when there seemed to be no problem in switching banks out here in the sticks.

SCB are not offering a 11 month fixed account paying 7%. What is on offer is an account which pays:

2% in months 1-4

3% in months 5-8

7% in months 9-11

The average rate over the 11 month period is 3.73%.

This is still fairly good but not quite 7%.

Does anyone know if this kind of account is accepted by Thai Immigration ?

SCB are not offering a 11 month fixed account paying 7%. What is on offer is an account which pays:

2% in months 1-4

3% in months 5-8

7% in months 9-11

It's just a fixed deposit account where one can withdraw the money at any time. Savings accounts and fixed deposit accounts are accepted by Thai Immigration. Should I perhaps say that they are accepted by my Immigration office :rolleyes:

2% in months 1-4

3% in months 5-8

7% in months 9-11

It's just a fixed deposit account where one can withdraw the money at any time. Savings accounts and fixed deposit accounts are accepted by Thai Immigration. Should I perhaps say that they are accepted by my Immigration office :rolleyes:

Thanks for that info :wai:

You are spot on with that last sentence :lol: