Embattled Thai Police Chief Wichean To Be Moved To Top Job At NSC

webfact

EMBATTLED POLICE CHIEF

Wichean to be moved to top job at NSC

By The Nation

30164332-01.jpg

National Police chief Pol General Wichean Potephosree will be transฌferred from the Royal Thai Police to the National Security Council as the secretarygeneral, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

His successor would be selected from three current deputy chiefs: Pol Generals Phanuphong Singhara na Ayutthaya, Praphawat Pansiri and Priewpan Damapong, who is the brother of Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra, the exwife of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Wichean was initially expected to be transferred as permanent secretary to the Tourism and Sports Ministry, but the NSC's top job was proposed instead and eventually approved after a round of meetings and discussions between Yingluck, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and the senior Pheu Thai Party leadership.

Asked where incumbent NSC chief Thawil Pliansri would go, Chalerm said: "If I were him, I would submit a request initiating a transfer. As he was the head of the [previous] government centre [during its crackdown of redshirt protests last May], what government would want him afterwards?"

Thawil earlier said he had no problem about being replaced by Wichean, but appeared uncertain over whether regulations might prevent his replacement during a governmental transition. "I am not sure whether my post is one of those [subฌject to restrictions]," he said.

Asked whether he would appeal against his dismissal to the Central Administrative Court, Thawil said: "I don't think so."

Speaking outside Parliament, Yingluck denied that Wichean had been bullied into accepting the transfer, saying Priewpan was a good candidate with the right level of seniority.

The prime minister, who is Thaksin's sister, said she did not intervene in the affairs of the police, adding that she would deal with the matter further only after the Royal Thai Police processed the transfer in two weeks' time. Asked if the reshufฌfle didn't appear to echo Pheu Thai's election promise of "Resolving but no revenge", Yingluck did not respond.

Yingluck is expected to sign the transfer order on Wednesday, a year to the day since Wichean's term began. Pol General Chalor Choowong, a deputy National Police chief, is expected to serve as acting chief for a week until a meeting of the Police Commission, which is expected to choose the new National Police chief from among the three candidates.

Chalerm and fellow Deputy Prime Minister Kowit Wattana reportedly differed over the NSC's top post being offered to Wichean, before lobbying by Pheu Thai leadership eventually led to the decision that Wichean would replace Thawil.

Wichean is reportedly pleased with being offered the NSC position, which is preferable to the one at the Tourism and Sports Ministry, because it is considered to be of greater importance and will enable him to maintain some say in the Royal Thai Police; a place on the Police Commission is reserved for an NSC secretarygeneral.

Chalor, who is close to Thaksin, is now serving in a civilian post at the PM's Office Ministry, where he was moved at the order of the government during the redshirt protests. After winning permission from the Central Administrative Court recently, Chalor is heading to back the Royal Thai Police and will serve as acting National Police chief for the sevenday period following Wichean's departure.

Former police chief Phatcharawat Wongsuwan said the Police Commission regulations should be amended to prevent political influence and interference in the appointment of National Police chiefs and other senior positions.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-02

And the winner of the post of police chief is

a : Priewpan Damapong

b : Priewpan Damapong

c : Priewpan Damapong

Answers under closed enveloppe to this address.

I recall to read less than a month ago a statement from the PM that not would be touched at the position of national policechief.

Chalerm: "A drunk can get sober just by looking at Pol Gen Priewpan". (Really?) http://yfrog.com/hwmvuruj /via@terryfrd

Chalerm's trying hard to show that he's more of an idiot than Suthep.

I sense fear. Are you afraid that dedicated police officials will now take over and hopefully start cracking down on undesirables?

The sooner the streets are cleansed of the drug pushers and hooligans, the safer visitors, women, children and especially the elderly farang guests will be. :D

Chalerm: "A drunk can get sober just by looking at Pol Gen Priewpan". (Really?) http://yfrog.com/hwmvuruj /via@terryfrd

I sense fear. Are you afraid that dedicated police officials will now take over and hopefully start cracking down on undesirables?

The sooner the streets are cleansed of the drug pushers and hooligans, the safer visitors, women, children and especially the elderly farang guests will be. :D

Yes, I agree GK. But you're delusional to think that it's going to be any different with a Thaksin relative at the top.

And, is that really a smart comment? This is the DPM talking about the Police Chief.

Edited by whybother

Date to pick new police chief not finalised: Aek

By The Nation

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has yet to scheduled the Police Policy Board to name the new national police chief, board secretary General Aek Angsananot said on Friday.

Aek said he was not sure if the board could convene by Monday as speculated in the press.

"Normally the board convenes once a month but the prime minister could call an urgent meeting with a three-day prior notice," he said.

He explained the nomination procedures that he would prepare a list of 14 qualified candidates for the job. The prime minister will, in turn, nominate a cadiddate from the list for a vote by the 11-member board.

The successful nomination must have the backing of a simple majority, or six votes.

As six board members are the prime minister, the ministers for Justice and Interior, the permanent secretaries from the two ministries and the National Security Council secretary general, the government is not expected have any problem pushing for the nomination.

Yingluck sad in Thursday she approved the proposal to move incumbent national police chief General Wichean Potephosree to the position of NSC secretary general.

The proposal was advanced by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

Wichean's deputy General Prewpan Damapong is tipped as the top contender to replace him.

Prewpan is also the elder brother of Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra, ex-wife of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-02

Fear ? Fear of what ?

It didn't take much for Wichean to roll over, even after acting tough and obtaining moral support from Prem. He was technically protected by the Police Act that is supposed to prevent interference by politicians in police affairs and some of his predecessors have fought long and hard court battles against being transferred out of the job. Not the least of the benefits of the job is the opportunity to receive informal expressions of gratitude from colleagues at re-shuffle time. When the police chief retires and has a say in appointing his successor, this gratitude can be rather substantial. One can only suppose that both the carrot and the stick were applied by P' Lerm in the form of some compensation for the expected gratitude of colleagues and no doubt the avoidance of revealing any nasty peccadillos that Chalerm, in his famous investigative style, might have unearthed in his past. Nevertheless, it was not very sporting of him to refuse to play ball by not providing the media with entertainment for the next few years following his legal cases and it also seems to send a signal that the establishment is no longer in a position to fight for its own.

Edited by Arkady

I would not fear much. Do not even expect a tepid mopping of corrupt officials at all levels.

The fact that Abhisit's choice for head of the Royal Thai Police has not been suspended pending an investigation as to why such extensive gambling operation took place without his knowledge (to give him the benefit of the doubt) is an indication that it will also be business as usual under PM Yingluck.

Corruption is an established tradition in Thailand. It is power and connections, not true merit, what make people go up the ladder of success. Abhisit knew it and Yingluck also know it.

Only yesterday, a Cambodian who is here on a tourist visa was offered, quite nonchalantly at the Immigration office in Changwattana a year visa for THB50,000.

Nobody in Thailand fears any repercussions when it comes to corruption. The Labour office asks for tea money to expedite true and legal Work Permits and cops on the streets will let anyone go for a little tea money. Do that in England, the USA, Australia and Canada and the consequences more often than not will be dire. Not here, TIT !!!dry.gif

So, your "dedicated police official", I assume you mean Prewpan Damapong, publicly admits he has a list of names of police officers involved in the narcotics business.

Perhaps he will take them all out to lunch at Alpine Golf course and warn them he knows.

Well, I suppose it's better that Prewpan admits it rather than wait for k.Chuvit to drop the bomb.

So, your "dedicated police official", I assume you mean Prewpan Damapong, publicly admits he has a list of names of police officers involved in the narcotics business.

Perhaps he will take them all out to lunch at Alpine Golf course and warn them he knows.

Well, I suppose it's better that Prewpan admits it rather than wait for k.Chuvit to drop the bomb.

Yingluck said yesterday that Thawil had the right to take his transfer to court, but dismissed media reports that the move was being made to put Priewpan in the top police post because of his relationship with Thaksin.

"Please don't look at it that way. A new government needs the right people in the right jobs to deliver results," she said.

The Nation

Published on September 7, 2011

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/09/07/national/Thawil-to-be-moved-to-PMs-OffIce-30164658.html