Tuk-Tuks, Jet-Skis Top Complaints By Aussie Tourists In Phuket

webfact

Tuk-tuks, jet-skis top complaints by Aussie tourists in Phuket

phuket-1-10910WpLpKZOVOnPEMDAcdVPluEbeuX.jpg

Simon Farbenbloom of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok tells

Governor Tri that tuk-tuk and jet-ski scams top the list of complaints

filed by Aussie tourists in Phuket.

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha yesterday received more bad news about the state of Phuket’s tourism industry as the Deputy Head of Mission at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok told him that complaints about tuk-tuk drivers and jet-ski scams topped the embassy’s list of complaints filed by Aussie tourists in Phuket.

“I personally haven’t heard any complaints, but I do read people commenting on websites… There are a lot of different comments about tricky jet-skis and tuk-tuk fares,” said Deputy Head of Mission Simon Farbenbloom.

“Some people complain and others say that it is just the way things are and everyone knows this. You have to be careful,” he added.

Mr Farbenbloom said he placed good faith in the Australian honorary consul in Phuket, Larry Cunningham, to help resolve the issues.

“He has good ideas on how to solve the issues that come out,” Mr Farbenbloom said.

The news delivered to Governor Tri at the meeting yesterday followed the quarterly meeting of Phuket’s honorary consuls and local officials on Wednesday.

That meeting saw some of the strongest comments yet by Phuket consuls about the need to address tuk-tuk drivers’ conduct.

German honorary consul Dirk Naumann voiced his concerns about German national Kurt Trotnow being rendered comatose after an attack allegedly by tuk-tuk drivers over the refusal to pay a 200-baht fare.

Also at the meeting, Dutch Honorary Consul Seven Smulders said that while the British, Australian and German consuls were normally the most vocal participants, their views were backed by other consuls.

He said two young Dutchman were similarly beaten by Patong tuk-tuk drivers recently over a what, he said, was a “minor issue”.

While acknowledging that the vast majority of tourists enjoy incident-free holidays in Phuket, he went on to raise the issue of a new “motorbike scam” being reported.

In this newest way to cheat tourists, unscrupulous operators rent out motorbikes to foreign tourists and then arrange for companions to steal them overnight, he said.

The foreigners are then forced to pay the price of a brand-new motorbike, even if the stolen vehicle was old, he added.

The Phuket Gazette notes that foreigners have little leverage to negotiate in such cases as they are typically asked to leave their passports as a form of surety until they return the vehicle. This issue was raised at previous consul meetings but largely remains unaddressed.

However, Mr Farbenbloom yesterday said the complaints haven’t stopped Australians visiting Phuket in large numbers.

“More than 700,000 Australian tourists have come to Thailand this year, and more than half, about 420,000, have come to Phuket,” he said.

Mr Farbenbloom expects an influx of Aussie tourists to arrive in January.

“January is when many Australians take a long holiday so more people will come for sure,” he said.

Mr Farbenbloom is in Phuket on a two-day visit.

He and other embassy officials will visit the Srinagarindra the Princess Mother School Phuket in Saphan Hin, Phuket Town, to participate in a water and waste management campaign coordinated by the Planet Savers organization and the Australia-Thailand Institute.

This afternoon the embassy entourage will attend the formal opening of the Phuket Lifeguard Education Center at Nai Harn Beach.

Tonight, Mr Farbenbloom will attend the “Hucky Eichelmann and Anthony Garcia Guitar Thailand Tour 2011”, at Phuket Rajabhat University, starting at 7pm.

Mr Farbenbloom will fly back to Bangkok on Sunday.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=10910

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-02

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these scam issues Jet-Ski's , Tuk Tuks and Motorbikes should be addressed nationally having consuls in Phuket is great but what about some representation in Pattaya which In my opinion is worst than Phuket scam wise .

Look at the latest headlines in Pattaya Today http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from-around-pattaya/jet-ski-scams-use-fake-photos/

Edited by saintofsilence

All these scam issues Jet-Ski's , Tuk Tuks and Motorbikes should be addressed nationally having consuls in Phuket is great but what about some representation in Pattaya which In my opinion is worst than Phuket scam wise .

Look at the latest headlines in Pattaya Today http://pattayatoday....se-fake-photos/

This is a nation wide problem. You see it more in the tourist areas like Pattaya and Phuket. I have lived in Pattaya for 24 years and have only been scammed by the Thai Police. They are the bottom feeders of the problem that goes all the was to the Prime Ministers office. And by the look of things in Bangkok it will be much worse before it gets better. If a lowly police man get paid for not doing his job do you really think he keeps all of the money. Everybody get their cut. That's why nobody want to do anything about it except Consuls from outside of Thailand. Don't forget that the biggest scam of the year happened in July. The Thais called it a Democratic Election.

Well if Mr Simon Farbenbloom of the Australian Embassy, If you really care and give a dam_n why don't you speak to Mr Kevin RUDD at DFAT and have him issue a travel warning to all the potential Aussie tourists that may want to visit Miracle Thailand warning them of the scams, dual pricing and the potential for violence. Maybe that is a big no as it may effect political relations between Australia/Thailand.

:blink: Thai tuk tuk ,bike rentals ,and jet-ski rentals should be boycotted. The different councils should advise prior to arrival and if there is a problem shame on the stupid people. It will correct itself when they go broke. As far as the cops are concerned I, feel strong complaints to the tourism people will help and obey the laws will help.

Well if Mr Simon Farbenbloom of the Australian Embassy, If you really care and give a dam_n why don't you speak to Mr Kevin RUDD at DFAT and have him issue a travel warning to all the potential Aussie tourists that may want to visit Miracle Thailand warning them of the scams, dual pricing and the potential for violence. Maybe that is a big no as it may effect political relations between Australia/Thailand.

Well said... here the corruption is in you face, pay your bit / it's they way it is (as someone else said) But for Au Gov to not issue warnings that will impact on the goverments "plans" is that not also a scam in a way, but much deeper and evil.... (I'll shut up now as this is leading into the world order debate, lol)

As much as I agree with you I don't think Rudd would be interested at the moment.Julia is on her way out and Kevin thinks he is in the box seat to take over.

Interestingly when you talk to travel agents here(Melbourne)they say there is no problem with the jet ski operators and tuk tuks in Phukett or Patong. They even suggest it is ok to

leave your' passport with them. I have a photo copy of my passport and if any motor bike or car hire mob don't accept that then I move on to another one.

If a foriegn government is aware of the pitfalls and potential risks to it's citizens travelling abroad then it has a responsibility to warn then. It appears in this story that the Australian Government is aware of the tuk tuk and jetski scams operating in Thailand and I am sure they are aware of many more things as well. Why on gods earth are they not warning thier citizens? They know of the traps say nothing and when thier citizens fall victim and seek consulate or embassy assistance the wipe thier hands of them. What on earth are they here for apart from a long extended taxpayer funded holiday. Start doing something by issuing warnings and then maybe other countries will follow. The tuk tuk drivers and jet ski operator may start losing reveue and clean up thier act. Who are you working for the Australian government or the Tourism Auth of Thailand.

"While acknowledging that the vast majority of tourists enjoy incident-free holidays in Phuket, he went on to raise the issue of a new “motorbike scam” being reported.

In this newest way to cheat tourists, unscrupulous operators rent out motorbikes to foreign tourists and then arrange for companions to steal them overnight, he said.

The foreigners are then forced to pay the price of a brand-new motorbike, even if the stolen vehicle was old, he added."

This scam is not new, it's been going on for many years. Maybe it's on the rise in Phuket. I always ask if the fee includes insurance before I rent.

"While acknowledging that the vast majority of tourists enjoy incident-free holidays in Phuket, he went on to raise the issue of a new “motorbike scam” being reported.

The foreigners are then forced to pay the price of a brand-new motorbike, even if the stolen vehicle was old, he added."

This scam is not new, it's been going on for many years. Maybe it's on the rise in Phuket. I always ask if the fee includes insurance before I rent.

That's been going on for many years. About 8 years ago one of my neighbours had the owner of the bike he rented call round to his home early morning and advised him the bike was stolen and he needed to pay for it. Trouble was that he did not even know the bike was missing, not made any report. He thought it was still parked outside his house where he parked it the night before. The owner was really caught off guard, realised he had jumped the gun, but still persisted on full payment. My neighbour told him to get lost. Not sure how that ended, but I know that he left Phuket a few months later.

“More than 700,000 Australian tourists have come to Thailand this year, and more than half, about 420,000, have come to Phuket,” he said.

Mr Farbenbloom expects an influx of Aussie tourists to arrive in January.

Good reason for this Pom to stay away from that overcrowded and overpriced island.:lol:

"Also at the meeting, Dutch Honorary Consul Seven Smulders said that while the British, Australian and German consuls were normally the most vocal participants, their views were backed by other consuls."

Why don't all these governments get together with a blanket warning to tourists, stop pussy footing around with talks acknowledging the problems do something possitive to fix it. Not just the problems in Phuket but other places like Pattaya, who cares if it has a drastic impact on Thai tourism, that might just make TAT and local governors as well as police get off thier backsides and do something to fix the problems. But oh no we can't warn tourists as that would be insulting to thais and they may lose face and I might lose my job. The old "I'm ok Jack F#$K you" thing. Mr Simon Farbenbloom say's he reads these sites so he is more than well aware of the problems in all areas.

:blink: Thai tuk tuk ,bike rentals ,and jet-ski rentals should be boycotted. The different councils should advise prior to arrival and if there is a problem shame on the stupid people. It will correct itself when they go broke. As far as the cops are concerned I, feel strong complaints to the tourism people will help and obey the laws will help.

Great idea! So when tourists come to Phuket, an island run by the tuk-tuks, devoid of any real public transportation, they should boycott all ways of getting around the island! They should walk from the airport to Patong!!

How about politicians stop being so corrupt and self-serving everywhere that all they care about is getting funding for re-elections and satisfying their lobbyists demands...

That's been going on for many years. About 8 years ago one of my neighbours had the owner of the bike he rented call round to his home early morning and advised him the bike was stolen and he needed to pay for it. Trouble was that he did not even know the bike was missing, not made any report. He thought it was still parked outside his house where he parked it the night before. The owner was really caught off guard, realised he had jumped the gun, but still persisted on full payment. My neighbour told him to get lost. Not sure how that ended, but I know that he left Phuket a few months later.

Maybe a few 'sting-operations' would be helpful here ? ? It wouldn't cost a lot of money and you would have "instant-results" and lock-up these buggars ! ! !

The "Fake photo" scam is easy to fix. A well planned sting operation, confiscation of the manipulated images, camera and the damaged jet ski, arrest of the operator, and his thugs, this could be blown open in court and with International media coverage. When the news is out that the operator is charged not only for his actions to defraud the tourist, but for perjury with false evidence, he will do time in prison. Together with a boycott of the jet ski business, this will also give the remaining operators, languishing without business, time to repair and clean up their jet skis.

1. Tourists should be thereafter advised not to hire any ski that shows sign of damage.

2. If they they do wish to hire such a jet ski with signs of damage, to carry their own compact film camera, which has factory-set date and time, take photos themselves, and carry the camera in a watertight pouch or leave with friends on land. On the film in the camera, before and after the jet ski shots, photos of the front page of a newspaper of that date.

Negatives can not be retouched in the same way digital pics can. But still, a digital file, however well touched, will carry it's history.

I have been involved in cases which were successfully proven when film evidence was produced. The date, and newspaper image were vital components of the photographic evidence.

Film based photographs are admissible in court as evidence, whereas in most cases digital files are not. Where it seems they carry important information, they will be subject to the appropriate scrutiny. There is no way around this.

A concerted effort can clean up this business.

Warning: Don't even suggest in court that it was your intention to nab someone, because it could be argued that you entered Thailand not as tourist, but private investigator without work permit, and end up in prison yourself.

Case a few years back in Norway. A British policeman entered Norway to assist in the recovery of the nation's most famous painting, "The Scream" by Edvard Munch, taken from the National gallery in Oslo. He was successful in apprehending the thief. But defence council for the culprit, knew that the policeman had entered Norway under cover of a false identity for the purpose of assisting in the solving crime. There is a law in Norway that if you have entered the country under a false name, you may not give evidence in court. Conviction was largely dependent on the policeman's evidence. The case was thrown out, and the thief was released. He walks free today, laughing. And that is squeaky clean Norway.

If anyone is to take on the criminals in Thailand, they had better know the law, and have it better than just 'well planned'. But it is doable. I would take it on myself, but now in my 60s, I'm hardly the typical jet ski tourist. A few jet-ski-aged Aussie cops, male and female, on holiday could carry this off. But I repeat the above warning, it all has to be coincidental, not a planned sting, else you'll end up in a Thai prison for working without a permit.

So, no miracles required, just some brains, cool courage and a concerted effort.

There is nothing new about Asians ripping off tourists here in Thailand and anywhere else in Asia for that matter. Back in 1983 i went to Kuta,Bali and hired a bike as we all did. And like everyone else every morning the bike had no fuel in it. Conveniently a boy would' appear' and offer to refill your bike for a fee.

All a set up by the owner who knows where your staying. Do-gooders love Balinese. .

Edited by LivinginKata
racist remark removed

Let's hope the Australian consul, warns ,that great influx of tourists publicly on the Australian embassies website, what are we as Australians afraid of? Thailand should be put on a list of unwelcoming and dangerous countries, try calling the Police if something goes wrong, rip offs, beatings, scams, electrocutions, unsafe footpaths, no one abides by any laws of the road, no real law enforcement etc... if there is no pressure,there will be no clean up.....:bah:

shit, forgot the bus drivers, that carry thundreds of people to their deaths every year...

Edited by blabla1

Sorry mate, that type of Australian no longer exists, one who stands by his mate no matter what, we've been sold out here and every where, they don't give a f*** it would create a political situation, it will mean the bastards will have to do some bloody work to calm things down again! God bless Australia, this poem comes to mind.

Sorry mate, that type of Australian no longer exists, one who stands by his mate no matter what, we've been sold out here and every where, they don't give a f*** it would create a political situation, it will mean the bastards will have to do some bloody work to calm things down again! God bless Australia, this poem comes to mind.

That was a darn good poem. Inspiring ....

:clap2:

tuks tuks are no different in chiang mai they try to over charge tourist as soon as they see your face.no jet skies thou.this problem is nation wide.how do you fix it.i don,t know.have a fixed price maybe

Sorry, have to disagree with you on this one. Last year, from Kad Suan Kaew Mall to my house - 18 kilometers - 300 baht & 1 pack of Marlboro. lol. Guy even gave me his card and told me to call him if I ever needed him again. Sure, but drivers here will start high, but with a good sense of humor you can bargain them down. I see it happen all the time. And they are a hell of a lot friendlier here than Phuket, Pattaya and Patong, that's for sure.

Well, yes ... I was anchored to both the words and the images in that Youtube clip. When in the early 1970s, my contemporaries were off to Europe to do the mandatory "O.S." tour, I instead bought an old Willys Jeep and went bush. So I can relate with fond memories to many a verse in the poem. To lay back and look at the stars, so bright, so numerous, you can only just about make out the Southern Cross among them, is a precious experience. To sit perfectly still as a 2 metre black snake makes his way past your feet whilst holding a mug of billy tea ... wanting a sip, but dare not flinch. Droving, rouseabout, etc etc. I'm sure I've got red sand in my bones now, We stood up for the National Anthem at the cinema before the movies started, and I've been part on the honour guard at the Shrine in Melbourne on Anzac day, done my drill with the R.A.A.F and so on. .. but how does this help the situation we have in Thailand?

So much for the... :clap2:..... anyone want to actually do something? I have ideas but will not discuss further on the forum. I have never been near a jet ski, let alone ever have the interest in hiring one, or even know where to for that matter. I don't actually have any interest in going to Pattaya, but a 'project', could 'inspire' me.

Are you all weighed down with beer guts? ... any interest?

We can't solve all of Thailand's problems in one hit, but as the Chinese proverb says: "The 1,000 mile journey begins with the first step."

And to blabla1 who says "Sorry mate, that type of Australian no longer exists.", I reply "Bullshit mate. I'll be there. will you?"

And to blabla1 who says "Sorry mate, that type of Australian no longer exists.", I reply "Bullshit mate. I'll be there. will you?"

Live your dream ol' mate,nothing wrong with that,but it is only a dream, it's their land not ours, we live here, so the best we can do is warn others of the growing menace, i will die for Australia,but i'll be f****** if i'll die for some one who won't even appreciate it, good luck mate!

Living in Chiang Mai over the years I refuse to use a tuk-tuk. Why? They grossly overcharge farangs, they are noisy, and belch tons of exhaust. They should be banned in Thailand!!! Do any of you recall how nice and peaceful the country was prior to tuk-tuks?