Thai Mom In Law Wants To Visit Mexico From Az

This is my first post - Thai wife of 20 years - Lived in LOS on & off for years.. Years ago. Any way Mom in law came over on a 6 month visa. We live 40 miles from Mexico. I've searched for info on what we need to do to go to Mexico for a day trip. No info on the net regarding Thai citizens in Mexico. The wife has a green card and we usually just walk across and back with no problem. Mom in law has her passport with the visa in it. I asked the border guards on my last trip down there and they told me to "take my chances".

I don't want the old girl to get hung up in Mexico trying to get back to Arizona (She cooks for me!) Does anybody have any experience taking a Thai across the U.S. border into Mexico? Or maybe someone knows of the visa requirements between Mexico and Thailand? I know Mexicans can go to Thailand for 30 days no problem... But does it work the other way around?

Don't tell me to ask the local gendarmie... I know enough not to give those nice fellas a heads up that a money making opportunity is in their midst.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

There is a very simple answer to this one, my mom was in the same situation.

All that matters is whether Mom's U.S. visa is multiple entry or not.

If she has a single-entry visa (e.g. most tourist visas), once she exits the U.S., she cannot come back, it would be considered another entry. If she has a multiple entry, say K-4, then she can go and come back as she pleases for the duration of the visa.

U.S. immigration is strict to the point of being obnoxious -- don't try your luck.

Of course, she can always re-enter the U.S. from Mexico outside of a border crossing for a small coyote fee and a not-so-small risk...

Edited by crocodilexp

If she has a single-entry visa (e.g. most tourist visas), once she exits the U.S., she cannot come back, it would be considered another entry. If she has a multiple entry, say K-4, then she can go and come back as she pleases for the duration of the visa.

U.S. immigration is strict to the point of being obnoxious -- don't try your luck.

Of course, she can always re-enter the U.S. from Mexico outside of a border crossing for a small coyote fee and a not-so-small risk...

For your mother-in-laws sake ignore this bad advice, she would be in Mexico illegally. Surely not worth the risk.

• 3 weeks later...

This is something I'll check... The old girl leaves in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the info. Of course I'll pass on the coyote fees... They're higher than a R/T ticket between BKK & PHX!!

Edited by LucMee

• 4 weeks later...
This is my first post  - Thai wife of 20 years - Lived in LOS on & off for years.. Years ago.  Any way Mom in law came over on a 6 month visa.  We live 40 miles from Mexico.  I've searched for info on what we need to do to go to Mexico for a day trip.  No info on the net regarding Thai citizens in Mexico.  The wife has a green card and we usually just walk across and back with no problem.  Mom in law has her passport with the visa in it.  I asked the border guards on my last trip down there and they told me to "take my chances".

I don't want the old girl to get hung up in Mexico trying to get back to Arizona (She cooks for me!)  Does anybody have any experience taking a Thai across the U.S. border into Mexico?  Or maybe someone knows of the visa requirements between Mexico and Thailand?  I know Mexicans can go to Thailand for 30 days no problem... But does it work the other way around? 

Don't tell me to ask the local gendarmie... I know enough not to give those nice fellas a heads up that a money making opportunity is in their midst.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Probably too late for your situation, but there are several websites that list requirements of different nationalities. Just takes a regular web search for "visa Mexico".

Requirements are fairly extensive for Thai nationals, but that's mainly because they're written as if the person is coming directly from Thailand. From a practical standpoint, I think the real issue, as noted by others, is being eligible to get back into the US.

On a weekend there is so much traffic into Mexico that I doubt there'd be issues going south, unless you go past the border area. In Baja the border area goes all the way down to Ensenada (70 miles?), but it's not so far south from Arizona. Past the border area they will check for docs. Of course if she were stopped by any police without proper docs anywhere in Mexico it'd be a problem.

Here's one:

www consulmexny org/eng/visas_fmt htm