Oxygenrom And Alpharev

Phil Conners

This topic was started in another thread. I decided it was better to start a new topic for it instead....

Buy an Android phone with support by the OSS community. I installed OxygenROM on my HTC Desire already many months ago, and am currently running the latest Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread. It was a little scary installing it first, but now I have AlphaRev and MUCH more internal memory capacity than the very limited stock HTC Desire configuration.

Thanks for the suggestion Phil... But how/where does one identify what particular models of Android phones/OS versions can be flashed with Oxygen and upgraded in that manner?

Yes Jack...I've got a Desire too with maxed out internal memory and would like to get off some of the HTC crapware that came pre-installed and cannot be uninstalled normally. Can you provide some links for flashing an Android phone with other ROMs and deleting crapware.

There are a lot of OSS Roms around. I found the one available for my phone that fit my purpose best was the Oxygen Rom, but others may surely have other preferences. I like it because it is aimed to be lean, stable, low-battery usage and don't require me to update the software every other day. Another rom that is very popular is CyanogenMod, but it is almost the opposite, it is very feature-rich but perhaps less stable and more battery consuming and they seem to provide nightly builds so you might update your phone daily with this.

To find which Rom is available for your phone the best resource is XDA developers forum. They have pretty much a forum for every mobile phone model manufactured, and within that you can see which Roms may be available.

To see which phones are supported by OxygenRom specifically, I'd check Oxygen Forum. This thread suggests OxygenRom is available for HTC Desire, Google Nexus One and Nexus S, and SGS2.

To "repartition" the HTC Desire phone memory you need Alpharev HBOOT reflash utility. This allow you to "repartition" the original 250M system, 40M cache, 147M data (this is the one that cause you to run out of space when you install programs) to 100M system, 5M cache, 332M data. Before you do this you need to have OxygenRom installed (the stock rom will not fit).

This forum have several threads explaining how to install OxygenRom.

Have fun!