Wild Salmon

Taggart

Has anyone ever seen "wild" salmon, either tinned or frozen, in any of the supermarkets in Thailand. The few times I've been able to check the food section while on vacation, I've only seen the farmed variety, which I'm not interested in.

You should Google "wild salmon canned thailand". It sounds as though a lot of wild salmon is caught in Alaska or Russia, frozen and then canned in, yes, you guessed it, Thailand! And then shipped back to the U.S.A. Go figure.

http://www.oceanbeauty.com/about/frequest.htm

Q: Is Ocean Beauty canned salmon Wild or Farm-raised?

A: All of Ocean Beauty’s skin-on, bone-in salmon products, as well as our premium skinless and boneless salmon and pouched salmon products, are Wild, caught in Alaska. This includes all salmon originating from Alaska (Product of USA), and Thailand.

I think you may be able to find some by looking around. I'll keep an eye out too.

http://www.vitafresh.co.th/seafood1.html

http://www.vitafresh.co.th/contact.html

http://www.siamcanadian.com/product/product_china.htm

Siam Canadian Foods Co., Ltd.

62/27 Prompak Place,

Sukhumvit 49/6 (Soi Prompak)

Sukhumvit Road, Klongton Nua

Wattana ,Bangkok 10110

THAILAND

Tel : +66 2 381 8710

Fax : +66 2 381 8545

http://www.panasia.co.th/local/product/food.htm

PAN ASIA (1981) CO.,LTD.

814 Sukhumvit 50

Bangkok

Thailand

[email protected]

Tel:02 332 0023-29

Fax:02 331 1971-2

Eric:

I could be wrong, but looks to me that all the links pertain to farmed salmon. If it's not labelled "wild", I say forget it.

BambinA & Lomatopo:

As for the others, I'll have to take a look at the supermarkets mentioned, and also those products from Oceanbeauty, next time I visit Thailand.

At least I have a few choices. Was thinking before this, that I may have to stick with Thai sardines for my omega-3.

Many thanks for the answers.

I'm not well informed about this but I thought that all canned salmon was ocean caught and not farmed. I thought that the cost of raising salmon in pens was so high that it was always sold fresh since it brings a higher price this way. Am I wrong about this?

Also, I'd like to point out that in the Pacific Northwest of the US the term 'wild salmon' refers to salmon which are naturally spawned and not hatchery spawned. This means that fish caught in open waters might not be 'wild salmon' by this definition. Some people think that any salmon not raised in a pen is a wild salmon but this is not true...at least it is not true based on the definition used in the biggest salmon rearing region left in the world today.

Edited by chownah

I'm not well informed about this but I thought that all canned salmon was ocean caught and not farmed.  I thought that the cost of raising salmon in pens was so high that it was always sold fresh since it brings a higher price this way.  Am I wrong about this?

In a word, yes.

Chile is the second leading (following Norway) supplier of farm-raised salmon. The waters in Chile are similar to Norway. Salmon are portioned, frozen and air-freighted to global locales. A few years ago there were three cargo 747'es flights weekly between Santiago and Miami, fully loaded with just frozen farm-raised salmon portions. (I used to make a few trips each year to Chile and became friends with some people from Maine who are in the salmon farming business in Chile.) Farm-raised salmon can be harvested year-round while wild salmon are usually only caught in the summer.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not here to debate the issue of wild versus farmed salmon. Anyone can google "wild salmon" and get all sorts of information to help them decide. My own preference (right or wrong) is for wild salmon. If I buy a can of salmon here in Canada, it's marked "wild" on the label. If I buy it fresh or frozen, it's again labelled as "wild" for the one of my preference. I just asked if it's available in Thailand. From a couple of suggestions it may possibly be.

Also, I'd like to point out that in the Pacific Northwest of the US the term 'wild salmon' refers to salmon which are naturally spawned and not hatchery spawned.  This means that fish caught in open waters might not be 'wild salmon' by this definition.  Some people think that any salmon not raised in a pen is a wild salmon but this is not true...at least it is not true based on the definition used in the biggest salmon rearing region left in the world today.

Correct,

Living in Anchorage Alaska, a lot of the hatcheries here aren't doing well due to the high interception by processors out in the Bering, (Korean / Japanese), :o

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not here to debate the issue of wild versus farmed salmon.  Anyone can google "wild salmon" and get all sorts of information to help them decide.  My own preference (right or wrong) is for wild salmon.  If I buy a can of salmon here in Canada, it's marked "wild" on the label.  If I buy it fresh or frozen, it's again labelled as "wild" for the one of my preference.  I just asked if it's available in Thailand.  From a couple of suggestions it may possibly be.

I think that the bottom line here is that all canned salmon is caught in the open ocean. If this is what you mean by 'wild' then you don't need to look for a label...it is all 'wild' if its in a can....but frozen or fresh salmon can be either open ocean caught or it can be farmed (raised in pens).

I'm not well informed about this but I thought that all canned salmon was ocean caught and not farmed.  I thought that the cost of raising salmon in pens was so high that it was always sold fresh since it brings a higher price this way.  Am I wrong about this?

In a word, yes.

Chile is the second leading (following Norway) supplier of farm-raised salmon. The waters in Chile are similar to Norway. Salmon are portioned, frozen and air-freighted to global locales. A few years ago there were three cargo 747'es flights weekly between Santiago and Miami, fully loaded with just frozen farm-raised salmon portions. (I used to make a few trips each year to Chile and became friends with some people from Maine who are in the salmon farming business in Chile.) Farm-raised salmon can be harvested year-round while wild salmon are usually only caught in the summer.

Are you saying that yes I am wrong? I ask this because what you then go on to say sort of indicates that I'm right....

>>>I think that the bottom line here is that all canned salmon is caught in the open ocean. If this is what you mean by 'wild' then you don't need to look for a label...it is all 'wild' if its in a can....but frozen or fresh salmon can be either open ocean caught or it can be farmed (raised in pens).<<<

Hi chownah:

When I was in Thailand last visit, I took a look at the canned fish section and only saw things like sardines and tuna. Didn't see any canned salmon whatsoever. From the hints I'm getting, there may be canned salmon somewhere. Will just have to take another look next visit. One day, in the next few years my wife and I may decide to retire over there, and it's kind of nice to find out what foods we can get in Thailand and what we will have to do without.

The problem with farmed salmon is that they easily become infested with sea lice. Also, because they are confined to small areas they don't have as firm of flesh as the wild salmon who lead a much more vigorous life.

Wild salmon here pretains to fish who live the majority of their life in the wild, and are caught there. Some may have been hatched in hatcherys, but were released as frys (immature salmon) to bolster wild stocks.

I won't touch a farmed salmon and can't wait for the day they are outlawed.

cv

Also, I'd like to point out that in the Pacific Northwest of the US the term 'wild salmon' refers to salmon which are naturally spawned and not hatchery spawned.  This means that fish caught in open waters might not be 'wild salmon' by this definition.  Some people think that any salmon not raised in a pen is a wild salmon but this is not true...at least it is not true based on the definition used in the biggest salmon rearing region left in the world today.

Just curious, if this is the definition of wild salmon in that region how do they know if a salmon caught in the wild originates from naturally spawned or hatchery spawned salmon?

Just curious, if this is the definition of wild salmon in that region how do they know if a salmon caught in the wild originates from naturally spawned or hatchery spawned salmon?

One of the small fins is clipped on hatchery fish.

cv

This brand of canned salmon showed up in my local Foodland (a moderate size supermarket chain with outlets throughout Thailand) this week. It is 100 baht for a 200g can. Nothing on the label indicates wild or farmed, it just says something like, "Fresh frozen pink salmon processed with the utmost quality", but there is also a lot of text in Thai. The can (logo) looked oddly familiar, maybe they export to the U.S.A. and I've seen it there?