Tuk Tuk

tuky

Why are there no tuk tuks in Pattaya?

I live just up the road in Sriracha where we are blessed by the tuk tuk :o

I can go anywhere locally for 20-40 bht (However I have a car so I do not), but why are there no tuk tuks in Pattaya?

I have been known to take a tuk tuk to Pattaya when drinking.

I have never taken a baht bus, so I cannot really comment, but for a similar price why would you want to take route type vehicle when you can take a tuk tuk and go wherever you like?

Years ago, the first big flood in Pattaya washed them all out to sea. Now they sit at the bottom of the ocean. It's become one of Pattaya's most popular dive sites -- except for the drivers, who are still down there, shouting "taxi" and "site-see all day10 baht" at you.

The baht bus mafia would eat any tuk tuk driver for breakfast.

Just last year baht-bus mafia smashed the idea of "Pattaya being a resort with proper public transportation". Real buses.

Poor tuk-tuks stand no chance.

No need for big motor coaches - streets aren't designed for them really. Plus who wants to wait for em? :o

I live just up the road in Sriracha where we are blessed by the tuk tuk  :o

I can go anywhere locally for 20-40 bht (However I have a car so I do not), but why are there no tuk tuks in Pattaya?

I have been known to take a tuk tuk to Pattaya when drinking.

I have never taken a baht bus, so I cannot really comment, but for a similar price why would you want to take route type vehicle when you can take a tuk tuk and go wherever you like?

We have more than enough baht buses,and dont need more vehicles wandering around the streets aimlessly. The traffic situation is bad enough as it is. You can charter a baht bus if you wish (at a much higher price), or ask the diver to deviate from his route for a small surcharge. As stated the motorcycle taxis do a good job.

I lived in Bangkok for a good few years, 10 years or so ago. Tuk Tuks became less and less popular as time went on. They could only go the same places - within reason - that an Air Con taxi went for the same price.

Added to that, you had the dubious experience of breathing in the traffic fumes.

I think one point many miss is personal safety! would you drive a car with no seat belt, ride a motor bike with no Helmet?

Yet people are content to sit in both Tuk Tuks and Baht buses, with no consideration for their personal safety, I would hate to be in the back of a crowded baht bus in any sort of collision.

Malaysia changed there traffic laws mant years ago whereby each passenger had to have a seat etc as they where killing so many people on the roads, the numbers became unacceptable to the goverment (Cost!)

Will Thailand ever protect it's people in the same way?

Cheers :o

slightly OT, there are no Taxi's in Khon Kaen whatsoever! no a single one. there are however well over 3 million 7 baht buses and loads of tuk tuks that are very expensive...even for locals, a 5 minute ride will cost you 70 Baht.

Must be a political "mafia" type racket going on in most towns,not only Patters

I lived in Bangkok for a good few years, 10 years or so ago. Tuk Tuks became less and less popular as time went on. They could only go the same places - within reason - that an Air Con taxi went for the same price.

Added to that, you had the dubious experience of breathing in the traffic fumes.

I think one point many miss is personal safety! would you drive a car with no seat belt, ride a motor bike with no Helmet?

Yet people are content to sit in both Tuk Tuks and Baht buses, with no consideration for their personal safety, I would hate to be in the back of a crowded baht bus in any sort of collision.

Malaysia changed there traffic laws mant years ago whereby each passenger had to have a seat etc as they where killing so many people on the roads, the numbers became unacceptable to the goverment (Cost!)

Will Thailand ever protect it's people in the same way?

Cheers :o

If it wasnt for the tourist/novelty value Bangkok would have phased out the tuk tuk long ago.

If it wasnt for the tourist/novelty value Bangkok would have phased out the tuk tuk long ago.

I disagree. There's alot of older, narrower streets and market areas where a tuk-tuk is the only practical way to get around with cargo or goods that are too much for a motorcycle. Thats why outside the tourist areas you see alot of non-tourists using them.

cv

I disagree. There's alot of older, narrower streets and market areas where a tuk-tuk is the only practical way to get around with cargo or goods that are too much for a motorcycle. Thats why outside the tourist areas you see alot of non-tourists using them.

Agreed, they are still used a lot where it is still practical and quicker

Cheers

cv

Apart from shall we say the powerful baht bus backers the reason why you don`t see tuk tuk`s in Pattaya is because of the way the baht bus service operates.

Most baht buses tour a predetermined route and the fare for this route is 5 baht. They can carry up to (and maybe more than) 12 passengers, who are picked up and dropped off at the wave of a hand or the press of a bell, whereas the tuk tuk can carry very few people.

The tuk tuk in the main is very small and cramped and also many are difficult to embark and disembark from, whereas the baht bus has good space at the rear and passengers can come and go quite easily.

Many locals use the baht bus to go to and from their employment because it is cheap and convenient and spacious...but a tuk tuk unfortunately would not fill

this criteria :o

No, not Mafia - I was informed a few years ago that the baht buses are the responsibility of the local constabulary and the department allocates the jobs/licenses, so tuk-tuks were deemed unnecessary and there are no licenses available for Tuk-tuks…………

Is this correct do you think?

No, not Mafia - I was informed a few years ago that the baht buses are the responsibility of the local constabulary and the department allocates the jobs/licenses, so tuk-tuks were deemed unnecessary and there are no licenses available for Tuk-tuks…………

Is this correct do you think?

My understanding is that the baht buses operate like a co-operative, with each vehicle being individualy owned and in some cases individuals owning several licenses. The licenses are issued/ sold by the government. Ive heard a figure of 600k baht being touted as the going price if you want to purchase a license from somebody that owns one.

I would think that the mib do own some baht bus licenses. Its really no differant to them owning bars ,restaurants, etc. or any other business.

If tuk tuk licenses were to be issued its would be up to the local council to issue them.