Jia Tong Heng

Loaded

Yesterday was the official opening of a new Jia Tong Heng Chinese restaurant. It's massive with many banqueting rooms and VIP rooms. If you are heading south on the superhighway, it's that new building just south of the Maejo junction. Jia Tong Heng is in my opinion the best and most authentic Chinese food eating experience in Chiang Mai. This is shown by the large numbers of returning Taiwanese and Chinese visitors who eat there. The new restaurant is built on feng shui principals.

Khun Kriengsak, his siblings and their families are the epitome of honest and hard-working Chinese Thais. They deserve their success.

Chiang Mai's last princess, Dr. Chao Duang Duan na Chiang Mai, was in attendance along with her son. The assistant Chiang Mai provincial governor was also there.

Is this a new branch of the Chinese restaurant near the Night Bizzare?

It is.

Not for me then, i only like the food we get from authentic chinese restaurants in England :D

with chips?

Mmm chinese curry and chip butty :)

I Know what I'm having for tea :)

David

My opinion, very expensive restaurant. I used to be a regular for the past 10 years, The suckling pig from 750Baht to 1250 Baht. But the last time I went there, I think I was told that it had increased to 1800 Baht, I stopped visiting this place.

The price shooting up is ridiculous. Previously, I ordered 2-4 suckling pig every week but now, I will not do that, it costing a bomb.

My opinion, very expensive restaurant. I used to be a regular for the past 10 years, The suckling pig from 750Baht to 1250 Baht. But the last time I went there, I think I was told that it had increased to 1800 Baht, I stopped visiting this place.

The price shooting up is ridiculous. Previously, I ordered 2-4 suckling pig every week but now, I will not do that, it costing a bomb.

On behalf of the pigs: * Thank You! * :wai:

You are most welcum, winnie the buffalo! LOL, i like your nick....soon I will register another one name, winnie the moooo......hahahaha!

On behalf of the pigs: * Thank You! * :wai:

Jia is not an authentic Chinese restaurant and they don't claim to be it is Thai style type of Chinese. It started from a small food stall in the warorot market fourty or fifty years ago.

That was my impression of Jia Tong Heng also (that it was Thai style chinese). I thought it to not be bad but to not be interesting either. Maybe if you never travel to Hong Kong or Singapore it might seem like a nice change, otherwise I don't see the appeal.

"Authentic" is sort an an odd adjective anyway. When applied to ethnic foods it's often used to imply quality, but I could show you many Thai restaurants in Thailand that are perfectly authentic but forgettable. Ditto for Chinese restaurants in China.

I second that. Thai Chinese food will be nothing near the standard of HK or Singapore. It's more to Thai Chinese taste. Whereas in HK & Singapore, their Chinese food is fabulous,original taste!

Jia is not an authentic Chinese restaurant and they don't claim to be it is Thai style type of Chinese. It started from a small food stall in the warorot market fourty or fifty years ago.

That was my impression of Jia Tong Heng also (that it was Thai style chinese). I thought it to not be bad but to not be interesting either. Maybe if you never travel to Hong Kong or Singapore it might seem like a nice change, otherwise I don't see the appeal.

"Authentic" is sort an an odd adjective anyway. When applied to ethnic foods it's often used to imply quality, but I could show you many Thai restaurants in Thailand that are perfectly authentic but forgettable. Ditto for Chinese restaurants in China.

I have always considered the MEI JIANG & YANGZI JIANG the best Hong Kong 'Cantonese Style' restaurants in CM.

Dinned at the Chinese opposite The Plaza Hotel the other week.

Decent food but as has ben suggested Thai Chinese food, not real Brit Chinese.

john

I have always considered the MEI JIANG & YANGZI JIANG the best Hong Kong 'Cantonese Style' restaurants in CM.

Dinned at the Chinese opposite The Plaza Hotel the other week.

Decent food but as has ben suggested Thai Chinese food, not real Brit Chinese.

john

It's turning into a burger thread:

"It's not as authentic as..."

"It's not as good as..."

I second that. Thai Chinese food will be nothing near the standard of HK or Singapore. It's more to Thai Chinese taste. Whereas in HK & Singapore, their Chinese food is fabulous,original taste!

Jia Tong Heng is a bit of an interesting case for me becuase I'm married to a Thai Chinese woman who absolutely loves the place but I never want to go there. She has good taste in food generally but despiste her Chinese roots learned eveyrthing that she knows about Chinese food in Bangkok. I, on the other hand, know little about food but lived in Hong Kong and Singapore and am about as interested in Thai Chinese food as I am in Swedish Chinese food.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Jia Tong Heng is a bit of an interesting case for me becuase I'm married to a Thai Chinese woman who absolutely loves the place but I never want to go there. She has good taste in food generally but despiste her Chinese roots learned eveyrthing that she knows about Chinese food in Bangkok. I, on the other hand, know little about food but lived in Hong Kong and Singapore and am about as interested in Thai Chinese food as I am in Swedish Chinese food.

I know I'd be interested in Swedish Chinese food. ;)