What Did He Buy ?

boracic

Wow no toothpaste he was dentally challenged but YES a 13 baht ice cream

so end of story I guess.

I never give money to beggars unless they are not begging, so I guess they are not beggars but lifes unfortunates,e.g. amputees,

Tend to get food for the children and babies..breaks my heart to see them. Tried to interest the police a few times for particularly heart wrenching sights, I don;t have to ask anyone to guess their reactions

Are you sure he's a beggar? There are lots of weird ppl in this world. Where am staying, there's this 2 guy who goes around in their rickety bicycles, sits by the road doing nothing but their bank account put me to shame. Anyway, you did a good thing whether he's a real beggar or not.

I never give money to beggars unless they are not begging, so I guess they are not beggars but lifes unfortunates,e.g. amputees,

Condoms probably, but maybe razors.

Was gonna guess condoms too, never know where those soi dogs have been

Ya mean, who has been at dem soi dogs, more likely.

Save the soi bitches and dogs too, I guess.

Edited by Zpete

so end of story I guess.

Tend to get food for the children and babies..breaks my heart to see them. Tried to interest the police a few times for particularly heart wrenching sights, I don;t have to ask anyone to guess their reactions

-------------------------

:rolleyes:

You're showing your Eurobased cultural perception (big buzz-word terminology there).

He probably regarded an ice cream as a luxury he didn't often have, and now he had the chance to get.

Once, many years ago in New Delhi, I gave an Indian woman begger a few Rupees. I thought she would buy food for herself or the infant daughter with her.

Instead she bought an armful of flowers, which she took to one of the sacred cows that were wandering around in the market area, and fed the armful of flowers to that cow.

That incident taught me a lesson that my western preconceptions were not always shared by other cultures and people.

:whistling:

so end of story I guess.

You're showing your Eurobased cultural perception (big buzz-word terminology there).

He probably regarded an ice cream as a luxury he didn't often have, and now he had the chance to get.

Once, many years ago in New Delhi, I gave an Indian woman begger a few Rupees. I thought she would buy food for herself or the infant daughter with her.

Instead she bought an armful of flowers, which she took to one of the sacred cows that were wandering around in the market area, and fed the armful of flowers to that cow.

That incident taught me a lesson that my western preconceptions were not always shared by other cultures and people.

At least the cows were happy !

so end of story I guess.

Thanks for sharing. Kind of moving, to be honest.

so end of story I guess.

Interesting experiment. After a few experiences in Thailand I stopped giving to beggers. But, I'll often take the flower kids for something to eat... providing the adults are not around using the children as pawns. Some of the boys are are cheeky little buggers, but I can't help but like their spirit. I've taken a few to McDonalds in Chiang Mai and it's fun watching them get stuck into a big mac. But, I do take them as a group so I don't get classified as a pedo. I know they try to play me like a mark (which I sort of am), but it's easy enough to say no when they try to work me like an ATM. They know their trade well and I can see where the girls get if from later in the bar trade.

so end of story I guess.

At least the cows were happy !

It thought cows ate grass, not flowers??? everyday's a school day....

JH

so end of story I guess.

To a Hindu, feeding a cow is a way to accrue merit—both for this life and all future lives— of far more value than mere cash; the beggar was making an investment. Deferred gratification taken to to its limits.

T

There was a little old lady I used to give money to on the street. One night as I am walking past to pickup my gf I gave her 20baht, she seemed very grateful. Not long later I am walking back and the same lady begs me again so I make the "sorry no small money guesture" and she shouted at me in Thai "<deleted> you, I hope you die soon". Where's the good karma I thought I was buying earlier??Since then I never give to beggars here unless they are obviously disabled and unable to work.

One of my very gratifying acts was on a trip to Cambodia with some Thais, we went to some open border where I was assured no documentation was necessary. It was over 20 years ago.

I was not allowed over, and wandered around awaiting their return. There were a few open tin shed structures, and I invited a pair of children to get some food.

Within 5 minutes there were at least 40 "pairs", sad, very sad was that they had paired up depending on their disabilities, probably mines, where one was able to assist the other.

The only food on offer was noodles, and they were sweating buckets trying to eat all that could be provided. I bought a beer while I waited until they were full.

The bill was a staggering 123 Baht

I don't see a great deal of compassion here, on a bus once from Pattya, a ragged man got on and imi the conductor and nearby passengers insisted he get off, he was smelly. I paid his fare so he could remain but where was the Buddhist compassion ? While providing regular meals for a guy living in a hovel, I also gave him Chilli sauce and other condiments, after a few days they were gone, the locals had taken them.

Edited by metisdead
Font resized to default forum font.

There was a little old lady I used to give money to on the street. One night as I am walking past to pickup my gf I gave her 20baht, she seemed very grateful. Not long later I am walking back and the same lady begs me again so I make the "sorry no small money guesture" and she shouted at me in Thai "<deleted> you, I hope you die soon". Where's the good karma I thought I was buying earlier??Since then I never give to beggars here unless they are obviously disabled and unable to work.

I take the good with the bad. It doesn't bother me in the least. I figure that that is their problem, not mine. I'll still help others despite the ones that don't deserve it.

I take the good with the bad. It doesn't bother me in the least. I figure that that is their problem, not mine. I'll still help others despite the ones that don't deserve it.

You're a good soul, Ian.

You're a good soul, Ian.

They funny thing is that I do it for MY OWN PLEASURE, not to be seen as some good guy, or for some esoteric reason.. What others think, good or bad, does not concern me in the least. There was a time when I was miserly and counted every penny, but I've changed 180 degrees. The results have been great inner satisfaction. I'm still careful about what I spend and I stay within a rough budget, but personal possesions are no longer important to me. Certainly I have some expensive stuff (cameras and fishing tackle) but only because they are tools that I use for my interests. Everything else will eventually go to my children, or sold and passed on in my estate. When I finally can't life the life I enjoy I'll start giving my stuff away to people who need it more than me, but don't have the cash to buy it.