Good Reason

Beng

I am really wondering, why there are so many foreigners living on Samui today.

Aren't there much better places in Thailand ?? What does Samui offer ??

Access: 2 filthy ferry lines plus rip off Bangkok Airways

Beaches: poor water quality many muddy patches at the bottom, due to run offs from construction sites etc.

Cost of living: highest rentals and food prices nationwide

Health care: is wealth care (apart from Samui hospital and a few local clinics with limited abilities)

Infra structure: frequent power cuts, poorly maintenanced roads, road signs and unefficient water supply

Nature: deforestration rampant, litter everywhere, animals like birds and squirrels being eaten up by Isaan workers

People: ignorant, unfriendly, cheaty, many criminal elements,

Road safety: highest road accident rate of the kingdom, poorest road quality, very dusty

Transport: no bus system, no meter taxis, songtaew rides expensive and slow (Chaweng-Nathon 60 min is a joke)

Security: law and order basically non existing, unsatisfying police work

Shopping: no choice, dual pricing at local shops and markets

Judging from above categories, Samui fails big time, ennit ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beaches: poor water quality many muddy patches at the bottom, due to run offs from construction sites etc.

Health care: is wealth care (apart from Samui hospital and a few local clinics with limited abilities)

Infra structure: frequent power cuts, poorly maintenanced roads, road signs and unefficient water supply

Nature: deforestration rampant, litter everywhere, animals like birds and squirrels being eaten up by Isaan workers

Road safety: highest road accident rate of the kingdom, poorest road quality, very dusty

Transport: no bus system, no meter taxis, songtaew rides expensive and slow (Chaweng-Nathon 60 min is a joke)

thank you for stating what we already know, but you forgot to add in Girls, Samui has the worst selection of Brass and they Cost more then any other part of Thailand

thank you for stating what we already know, but you forgot to add in Girls, Samui has the worst selection of Brass and they Cost more then any other part of Thailand

OP, can't you afford to stay at Six Senses than

Right Rooo. Samui not for me anymore. Lived there from 89 to 09 and saw it getting from a little paradise to a dump.

Asia not for you. Samui not for you. Can't let you in on the secret of why we live here. Hope to hear from you from your next destination. :D

Do the Isaan migrant workers really eat squirrels and birds?

Yep - that's why the Red Palm Weevil is able to spread like a plague of locusts and decimate the coconut trees in some areas. The squirrel is the weevil's only natural predator. (The workers also eat the monitor lizards, hedgehogs and frogs! :o)

Mind you, I am not sure why this would make Samui a bad place - the Isaan migrant workers are everywhere! Just adds fuel to the rant I suppose.

Edited by Tropicalevo

People like Beng make me sick. Lost all your money have you ?? Now have to run the place down . Go back to your home land and good luck you may have a wake up call and remember the good times which you had in the Land of Smiles.

Leave us here and we will try to rebuild the island and all it's faults which it has many but we don't need your negative comments broadcast.

Make sure you book a oneway ticket !!!!!!!

So, no disputes to anything Beng listed, just the classic "go back where you came from" retort. That says a lot.

Personally, after living on Samui 2 years I go back to see the friends I've made there. If not for them I would go someplace else I haven't been yet.

Yep - that's why the Red Palm Weevil is able to spread like a plague of locusts and decimate the coconut trees in some areas. The squirrel is the weevil's only natural predator. (The workers also eat the monitor lizards, hedgehogs and frogs! :o)

Mind you, I am not sure why this would make Samui a bad place - the Isaan migrant workers are everywhere! Just adds fuel to the rant I suppose.

I wonder what Isaan migrant workers taste like?......rolleyes.gif

So, no disputes to anything Beng listed, just the classic "go back where you came from" retort. That says a lot.

Personally, after living on Samui 2 years I go back to see the friends I've made there. If not for them I would go someplace else I haven't been yet.

The place is changing.....fill in the blanks....!

:)

Right Rooo. Samui not for me anymore. Lived there from 89 to 09 and saw it getting from a little paradise to a dump.

Asia not for you. Samui not for you. Can't let you in on the secret of why we live here. Hope to hear from you from your next destination. :D

I agree with you the place is changing. This is not only exclusive to Samui. i am traveling across Thailand & neighboring countries. Asia in general is becoming more popular as a tourist destination. Some places have had a phenomenal increase in tourism & their infrastructure is also not coping.This is not a unique problem with Samui. just have a good look when you are traveling to other popular or out of the way destinations.

You are thinking of Samui circa 1989, this is great, but we must be kidding ourselves if we thought it would stand still. Progress is inevitable, in this case too quick with a lot of ineptpeoplepl e at the helm with the sole purpose of making money.

First & foremost, we must remember that Samui is an island in ,Asia , things do not happen as they do in the west Sure things are not up to scratch, but this a price have to pay for the overall neglect untill a couple of years ago.

Just something that is confusing me Beng,on one hand you are saying it has changed from a perceived paradise, but then saying that services are not up to scratch.

There are still many places where you can go & be out of the mainstream, many beaches or swimming areas that are not crowded. All your other points , have been hashed over so many times over the years ;)

The secret is adapting I suppose & be a bit more tolerant to change & learn to adapt.It is still a hell of a lot better then a lot of other places around the world. .Again I will reiterate that many points you have brought up are not exclusive to Samui, but to a lot of areas & cities throughout Asia..

Double pricing? Not only on Samui / Thailand, shop in Tesco Big C Etc..... same price for all, a lot of the time cheaper then the markets, just a suggestion.

I will note that although I'm not blinded by the "Samui is paradise" bug that when I last left in June of this year, driving up to BKK via Hua Hin that prices were cheaper on Samui than either Hun Hin or BKK. That said, the main reason I go back is the people I have met over the years.

I wonder what Isaan migrant workers taste like?......rolleyes.gif

They're yummie :licklips:

I have driven to most parts of thailand except issan but i have been up to the golden triangle and down to malaysia, driven as many of the small country roads i could and IMO it is hard to find a place with the ease of living that samui offers. I do not need to speak thai, dont want to be stuck in traffic, want to eat a wide range of foods, want clean powder white beaches, want access to an international airport within a 5 minute drive, want to enjoy 5 star hotel amenities, want to visit a red light district and drink till dawn, want good 4x4 off road driving. there are many places i have not seen in the world and many people visit samui from those places because where they live does not have what samui does. What I want is available everyday on samui. when i take the ferry i stay in my suv and watch movies, if i fly on bkk air i shop for the best price and am in bkk within an hr. so really no matter where you live on the planet what makes it a place to be is IMO what it offers you. I just listed what and why samui is for me.

I do not need to speak thai, dont want to be stuck in traffic, want to eat a wide range of foods, want clean powder white beaches, want access to an international airport within a 5 minute drive, want to enjoy 5 star hotel amenities, want to visit a red light district and drink till dawn, want good 4x4 off road driving.

Good point. All of those things are very accessible. A 10 minute drive can take you from a busy shopping centre to a deserted beach and then off to a night on the town. Yes, it does come at a price, but if you are careful you can control the spending.

:lol: Keeping it real boater! I have to say that there are some lovely ladies here at the moment and i could go on for hours but.....back on topic

What smokie says is true but then again how aweful do you have to be to not stack up favourably against the UK since Tony and Gordan finished it off! My feeling are reasonably well known. Im no longer an admirer of the place but i've made my bed so i'll lie in it.... However, whilst i don't kid myself its a nice place, and i've long felt the locals are horrible in attitude, rude, downright nasty, and a number of other things i can't repeat) i'd much rather be here than there thats for sure. Secondly, I'm sure as hell not leaving without my money so i'm making the best of what Samui still offers until such time asi can go.

Fact is, there are nicer places at a fraction of the cost where you ca sit at home, sweating in a power cut, just after you've been burgled and charged extra for your takeaway because you are foreign.

One thing i do like is the exchange rate i'm going to get for my baht. And before all the boring tedious unimaginative "Go Then" posts arrive (motocrosser ;) ) i would say i've enjoyed myself here for the most part and have no real complaints. The give and take between myself and Thailand has been a fair trade. There are just too many aspects of life here i choose to do without.

Would love to see what all the fuss is about but at 10k Baht for a return air ticket from BKK suppose will never get there

You could always get on the shitty ferry and spend some of the difference on a relaxing on board foot massage!

Alternatively bring a six pack of beers and a spare singlet or two....should be able to find cheap enough in Pattaya.....biggrin.gif