Farang Held In Phuket Drug Bust

Buff-horns

The police then went to the Yacht Haven Marina and arrested Briton Ian James Newton, 49, and his Thai wife Sangwan Newton, 38, the owners of the 15-meter yacht Short Time. :o

===================================================

I have no compassion for any drug-dealing people. As they would say in Thailand "are you Tupid ?!"

I am, however very interested in this 15 Mtr. yacht named "Short-Time" ! Maybe the 'tupid' British-Kiwi needs money for his attorneys ? ? Wanna sell this boat ? ? I am very keen to discuss this matter.

eoq

I doubt if he gets a chance to sell the boat as it likely will be confiscated.....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that they will not face the death sentence and the king's "advisors" will grant either a transfer to their own country or release the bastards after a few years.

New Zealand doesn't have a prisoner transfer treaty with Thailand so he will not be transferred back to a jail in New Zealand.

If he is convicted of drug trafficking, he will likely get the death penalty given the amount or if he is lucky he will only get life in prison. If he gets life in prison, he will do a minimum of 10 years before he comes even close towards getting a pardon, and will probably do about 15 years.

Firstly, I hate drugs and most things against the law, thats why we have laws!

I believe in punishment,...BUT..........

No one should be put to death for anything!

Life in jail is enough (as long as it is really life!)

Anyone that says death is deserved needs a head check (Or a heart check)

We are living breathing animals, death is something reserved for someone or something greater than us! How dare any of you judge and condem a living being to death!

<deleted>!

Catholics and Buddhists pray to cheat hangman

By Steve Butcher

November 7, 2005

MORE than 1000 people filled Australia's biggest church yesterday to pray for the life of Nguyen Tuong Van.

The Catholic faithful joined Buddhist monks who chanted mantras while Corinthians spoken in Vietnamese echoed inside St Patrick's Cathedral, East Melbourne.

Nguyen, 25, who arrived in Australia just months old after being born in a Thai refugee camp, awaits execution on death row in Singapore's Changi Prison, probably before this month ends, for importing heroin in 2002.

With all legal avenues exhausted, all that remains is diplomacy by political leaders and the tireless campaigning by Nguyen's supporters.

In a prayer yesterday, Father Peter Hansen asked God to change the "hearts of stone" in Singapore, who have refused clemency, and last week rejected appeals to reconsider. Father Hansen told the congregation they had gathered to seek compassion and mercy for Nguyen, his mother, Kim, and his family, and to pray that "those with power over Van will exercise that power with compassion and wisdom".

Ms Nguyen was flanked by Elizabeth Lasry, the wife of Nguyen's Melbourne QC, Lex Lasry, and Russell Thirgood, president of Amnesty International Australia.

After a chanting of the mantra for the preservation of life by monks of Melbourne's Quang Minh Temple, Father Hansen compared Nguyen to Roman Catholic martyr Sir Thomas More as he awaited execution for alleged treason in 1535.

As Sir Thomas did, Nguyen sits in a cell and "awaits the judgement of those who claim authority to take his life", he said.

His voice raised throughout the cathedral, Father Hansen declared "for the entire world to hear" that hanging Nguyen would save not one life, dissuade one drug courier, assist one addict or avert one tragedy.

"We, the people who are here today in this great cathedral, we are the people of Van's land," he said.

Ms Nguyen, her son's close friends Kelly Ng and Bronwyn Lew and other supporters offered the prayers of intercession.

In a soft, composed voice, Ms Nguyen prayed that those who had the power of life and death over her son be guided by the spirits of justice, mercy and humility.

Ms Ng asked that Ms Nguyen, Nguyen's twin brother — Khoa, whose debts he was to repay by importing the heroin for a Sydney syndicate — and their family be comforted. And Ms Lew prayed for everyone on death rows worldwide, and their families, that humanity "turn away from cruelty, killing and vengeance" and embrace life.

After the service, Mr Lasry again called on Prime Minister John Howard to directly "lend the authority of his office" to saving Nguyen's life.

And Father Peter Norden, of the Jesuit Social Services, who asked Pope Benedict last week to intervene on Nguyen's behalf, said such entreaties were not "megaphone diplomacy".

"It is a clear, honest statement in the belief of the dignity of all life," he said.

Father Norden spoke not far from a plaque set in a red rose garden for the former archbishop of Melbourne Daniel Mannix, which reminded people that, among other injustices, he rejected capital punishment.

■ The human rights activists group Rights Australia has urged companies holding significant investments with the Singapore Government to urge it to spare Nguyen.

Except for hearsay and a false passport there's not much of a case against the Kiwi & Thai.

In a thai court that's enough for a conviction! :o

These two will not get convicted of dope dealing. Yes the two hong kong pups say that these two are involved, but without catching them in the act of such involvement they are off the hook. When they were searched nothing was found on that boat or in their rooms containing anything illegal.

According to the news video clip available here, the police found additional heroin in suitcases on the dock right next to the yacht, so perhaps his future is indeed, rather bleak... :D

*edit*: with apologies, didn't see subsequent posts that pointed to this link.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411419/624979

Edited by sriracha john

When 4 Thai guys were hanged 3 or 4 years ago in Singapore the newspapers went into quite a lot of detail, they said after hanging the prisoner is cut down, put on a slab and his, (I think wrist), vein is severed, draining the prisoner of blood to ensure he's really dead.

Just for accuracy, once the body is taken down after a hanging, which results in the spinal column being snapped... the heart stops pumping blood... if the heart is not pumping there would be no bleeding when a vein is severed, unless the body was suspended updown down and there might be some slight oozing from gravity.

When autopsies are performed on the deceased, there is no bleeding when incisions are made. Bleeding is caused by the pressure of the heart pumping the blood.

Definitely not the week to be involved in heroin smuggling:

GERMAN MAN NABBED AT TAIWAN AIRPORT WITH THAI HEROIN

2005-11-06

Taipei (CNA). A German man was arrested at Chiang Kai-shek (CKS) International Airport Sunday on charges of attempting to smuggle more than 6 kg of high-grade heroin into Taiwan from Thailand.

Aviation police uncovered a total of 6.11 kg of heroin hidden in the man's carry-on luggage. The heroin, which was packed in 15 tins of canned food, marked the largest drug bust in Taiwan in the last year.

The man, identified as Soliner Guido Alexander Oeutsch, 37, admitted that he was handed the canned food in Bangkok Saturday by a Chinese man named Sam, who also gave him a mobile phone ( 10,000 baht, if it's a good one :o ), NT$7,000 ( 8,532 baht :D ), and spending money and hotel accommodation

( perhaps another 10,000 baht? :D ).

He said he was told to check in to Taipei's Santos Hotel after arriving in Taiwan, where he would be contacted for the delivery of the cans and would be paid a further US$300 (12,037 baht :D ) .

Oeutsch was handed over to the Taoyuan District Prosecutor's Office later in the day for interrogation. Further investigations aimed at tracing his Taiwan accomplices is now underway.

Total take on his life-risking sojourn: 40,569 baht :D

Edited by sriracha john

No sympathy from me for heroin dealers and especially for immigrants to another country dealing this death drug. A few years ago I had an overstay in OZ and was held in jail with others who had done the same but also there was a group that were waiting for deportation for crimes commited. All were fighting deportation because they knew what was coming when they were sent back to China or Vietnam or whatever. I was told by one of the guards that when these guys arrive in China there are 2 buses waiting, a large one and a smaller one. All of them that would be getting on the large bus were going to die.

These guys and gals get out of the country they're in and then decide to deal in drugs. Why can't these fvckwits do something to better themselves instead of preying on society. <admin snip>

If they're dealing heroin or bombing people then I think they are the same. They should kick them out of the country and whatever happens later to them is hopefully what they deserve, DEATH.

Admin edit:

Racist comments removed.

Edited by george

They should rot away in a Thai prison (which i'm sure is much worse than a stateside prison) and the authorities should throw away the key. A death sentence is not necessarily a deterrent.....

But it will certainly stop him from re-offending won't it ?

Mini-videos and photos from original TV video at

http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=149684

or direct to mini-video only at http://www.thaisnews.com/vdo/05310120231v.asf

A police force led by Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB) Deputy Commissioner Police Major General Suwat Chanittikul on Friday afternoon raided a British registered yacht from London named ’Short Time’, moored at Yacht Haven marina in northern Thalang district of Phuket. The officers detained Ian James Newton also known as Graeme Mitchell, who held two passports of Britain and New Zealand, aged 49, and his Thai wife Sangwan Newton for investigation. The arrest took place after police arrested Cheng Oi Fun Barry, aged 42, and Leung Pak Lun, aged 21, from Hong Kong while carrying 40 kilograms of heroin in Karon on the south end of the island. Both confessed to police that they had brought the drugs from Bangkok and prepared to take them overseas. The investigation then led police to raid the yacht with the two accused and their 3 million baht yacht was seized. The Police Major General believes that the gang is related to major drug dealers who use Thailand as a transporting route to other countries. This arrest took place after Thai police worked with U.S. Hong Kong and New Zealand police.

from Andaman News TV11 Phuket, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket & Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket, 8.30am Monday 7 November 2005 & www.ThaiSnews.com

post-9325-1131341503_thumb.jpg

No sympathy from me for heroin dealers and especially for immigrants to another country dealing this death drug. A few years ago I had an overstay in OZ and was held in jail with others who had done the same but also there was a group that were waiting for deportation for crimes commited. All were fighting deportation because they knew what was coming when they were sent back to China or Vietnam or whatever. I was told by one of the guards that when these guys arrive in China there are 2 buses waiting, a large one and a smaller one. All of them that would be getting on the large bus were going to die.

These guys and gals get out of the country they're in and then decide to deal in drugs. Why can't these fvckwits do something to better themselves instead of preying on society. <admin snip>

If they're dealing heroin or bombing people then I think they are the same. They should kick them out of the country and whatever happens later to them is hopefully what they deserve, DEATH.

Admin edit:

Racist comments removed.

Why haven't they put people like these who overstay in other peoples' countries to death?

These guys and gals get out of the country they're in and then decide to deal in drugs.
Oh yes, and you don't understand, Mr Good. Because you are too ###### spoilt, growing up in your country.

I'm not that surprised now about your NEP incident. I am starting to think that Pudgimelon's comments about you weren't that unreasonable. Oh and you say you are upset about that boy's death in the hospital. Hypo...

Racist comments removed.
Has he been banned then? :o

All four suspects have confessed

Thailand arrests NZ, HK citizens on heroin charges

BANGKOK: -- Thai police have arrested a New Zealander, two Hong Kong citizens and a Thai for trafficking around 40 kg (88 lb) of heroin, a crime which carries a possible death penalty.

The heroin, which had an estimated street value of 4 million dollars, was orginally smuggled into Thailand from the notorious Golden Triangle drug-producing region of western Myanmar and northern Laos.

Police said the Hong Kong duo, aged 42 and 21, took the heroin in late October to the southwestern resort island of Phuket, where it was handed over to Kerry Graeme Mitchell, a 49-year-old New Zealander who ultimately intended to sell it in Australia.

Mitchell's 38-year-old Thai wife was also arrested.

''Four of them have confessed they had the heroin in their possession for commercial sale,'' said Police Major General Suwat Chanitthikul, Deputy Commissioner at the Narcotics Suppression Bureau.

''They will be charged with smuggling and attempts to sell abroad. They could be jailed for life,'' he said.

Mitchell, who owned a yacht in Phuket, had served time in jail in Taiwan for heroin trafficking before moving to Bangkok a a few years ago, Suwat said.

He was also travelling on a stolen British passport under the name of Ian James Newton, police and diplomats said.

''We assume his passport might have been stolen but we do not know any other details,'' Suwat said. ''Police are investigating further to try and find the whole network and the mastermind behind the smuggling operation in Hong Kong and Australia.'' A spokesman for the New Zealand embassy in Bangkok said consular officials were visiting Mitchell today and that the investigation was in the hands of the Thai police.

Several New Zealanders have been convicted of drug offences in Thailand, the official said, although none has received the death penalty.

--newkerala.com 2005-11-07

When 4 Thai guys were hanged 3 or 4 years ago in Singapore the newspapers went into quite a lot of detail, they said after hanging the prisoner is cut down, put on a slab and his, (I think wrist), vein is severed, draining the prisoner of blood to ensure he's really dead.

Just for accuracy, once the body is taken down after a hanging, which results in the spinal column being snapped... the heart stops pumping blood... if the heart is not pumping there would be no bleeding when a vein is severed, unless the body was suspended updown down and there might be some slight oozing from gravity.

When autopsies are performed on the deceased, there is no bleeding when incisions are made. Bleeding is caused by the pressure of the heart pumping the blood.

Just quoting the newspapers; when the undertakers in Thailand inject a preservative into the corpse(I forget the chemical name,is it formalyde or something similar?), how do they ensure it reaches the whole body as the heart has stopped beating?

The most suitable sentance for these pushers would be a heavy heroin addiction while in jail awaiting a final fatal overdose to be administered without any prior warning. If they receive a life sentance rather than the death penalty, the same punishment should apply, only with periods when they are pulled cold-turkey from the drugs on a regular basis to suffer that henious drugs withdrawls without any medical help of easement of the symptoms.

The time should fit the crime. They deserve to suffer the same fate so many of their clients had to all in the name of the greed and the evil they were willing to partake in for the almighty dollar selling their poison.

Just quoting the newspapers; when the undertakers in Thailand inject a preservative into the corpse(I forget the chemical name,is it formalyde or something similar?), how do they ensure it reaches the whole body as the heart has stopped beating?

That's fine, I realized you hadn't actually been making the statement, but I did simply want to point out the shortcomings of the macabre practice. As for embalming fluids, they are forcibly injected into the body, using the pressure exerted on the syringe and needle to dispense it throughout the body.

The police then went to the Yacht Haven Marina and arrested Briton Ian James Newton, 49, and his Thai wife Sangwan Newton, 38, the owners of the 15-meter yacht Short Time. :o

===================================================

I have no compassion for any drug-dealing people. As they would say in Thailand "are you Tupid ?!"

I am, however very interested in this 15 Mtr. yacht named "Short-Time" ! Maybe the 'tupid' British-Kiwi needs money for his attorneys ? ? Wanna sell this boat ? ?  I am very keen to discuss this matter.

Also 1/2 a "K1W1"

im sure it will be confiscated by the athorities and maybe sold at auction in twenty years when the trial is completed...sounds like the hong kong drug runners started singing like cannaries......now have to change the name of the boat too.... "bangkok hilton long time" :D

They use an external pump. :o

Apparently he had heroin on the boat:

Video:

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/624979

George lets get something straight. From the beginning of this story of this persons arrest, it said this person was on a BOAT, and not in the frickin hotel waiting for those two bufoons to make such delivery. First of all this cat is smart enough if he happens to be really a drug baron. Drug lords never ever get near that crap much less even want to have it near or have it in their possession. Doing so is PURE SUICIDE. They only deal in money period, and most of the time they never ever touch it, because it goes thru so many channels to avoid any tracing back to them concerning the drug sale.

Most people know that after graduating high school.

Secondly that BOAT WAS SEARCHED, and nothing was FOUND ILLEGAL. Thirdly, his room was SEARCHED AND AGAIN NOTHING FOUND ILLEGAL. Fourth, his wife also came out CLEAN WITH NOTHING ON HER.

The only thing this forsaken wannabeeee drug baron did wrong is have a FALSE PASSPORT. A small pittiance crime wise which that alone is enough to get his persona non grata, (THAILAND ONLY) and of course passport problems in the future.

That is all he is going to get charged with. He will get his boat back because it belongs to him and there was nothing on that boat illegal being found. So to the dreamers here forget buying his boat.

NOW WE ALL KNOW THESE FACTS, SO WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN DOES SOMEONE NOW WANT TO DO A SWITCHEROOOOOOO AND PLANT SOME DOPE IN THAT BOAT AND THEN CHANGE THE STORY LINES TO SAVE THE DRUG AGENCY'S FACE.?????

Next now we see admission coming from the huh and duh.???????? She not handcuffed and still has purse and he looking perplexed. Something not right here, and I don't think he would be so stupid of a pea brain to even want to admit to something of the sort knowing what can happen to him. If he had a past in Taiwan, he more than would KNOW MUCH BETTER TO KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT and do the Abbott and Costello act.

Huh, that crap, me, hey wait a minute man, I don't know those two idiots, never met them, for any reason ever, and man I had none of that stuff around me, are you nuts, I already did time for that shito once, and I am not about to do it again by being that stupid, and me and the mrs here are clean concerning that business officer. You don't believe me check my background in Taiwan!!!!

Now what cha gonna do when that cats says that with no proof to nail him other than the passport charge, once he says that and they do find out he said right.

If that is the case then the Drug Agency is no better than the Drug Lords activities himself, because they cannot be honest with everyone and have very little training to really do the bust correctly to make those charges be solid without doing the drop or plant. Understand.

SEEMS EVERYONE FORGOT THE TWO CHEECH AND CHONG HONG KONG DUDES!!!!!!!

Interesting to note they seem to somehow disappear out of the limelight.!!!!! Why is that??????????? They were the ones who got caught COLD TURKEY with 40 kilos of PURE HEROIN, in THEIR CAR!!!, with their fingerprints splashed all over the 2 attache cases and possibly on those heroin bars itself, not to mention DNA linking them too. They have no defense except to say I am guilty. Unless they are drug undercover sting cops doing the set up.

Daveyo

Edited by DaveYo