Stolen Passport

My next-door neighbour, a lady, Thai national, got her passport stolen last Sept. in London. She reported to police and has a letter with ref. no. She was advised to renew her Thai passport when she returned to Thailand and was issued with an emergency PP to return, she already had return ticket. Her original UK visa was a settlement visa, which she subsequently changed for an indefinite stay visa, issued in Jersey. Her settlement visa was granted obviously because she was married to a UK citizen, but she is now divorced from this guy. She now has a new Thai PP and wants to get her indefinite stay visa renewed. When she contacted the UK embassy in BKK they told her to fill out form VAF 2004 which , amongst others, is for people with a right to enter the UK, to return. I know this may sound a bit complicated and I'm trying to write these details without her paperwork in front of me, but can anyone see any pitfalls to her situation?

She has copies of the stolen PP, UK National Ins. No. etc. Her sister lives in UK and this is who she works for when she is there.

I thought because she has these copies of old passport and visa, it maybe a straightforward case, but I know nothing is straightforward when dealing with Government depts. My doubts seem to centre on the fact she is now divorced.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Various factors complicate this situation, one being that the ILR was granted in Jersey. The Channel Islands are independent of the UK immigration-wise, and the matter may have to be referred to the authorities there for a decision.

Anyway, your friend should apply to the embassy for a returning resident visa and this will allow her to stay in the UK indefinitely. However, it is likely that she will have to pay for the visa and she will have to demonstrate that she is settled in the UK, that she holds indefinite leave, and that she hasn't spent more than 2 years out of the country. If she's not normally resident in the UK, the visa can be refused.

Cheers,

Scouse.